Gearbox Oil

jrscho

Advanced Member
Jinis dust said:
Mines the same aswell , when cold not very nice to go in to 2nd or 6th gear. Improves a lot once warm though. Previous owner changed the gearbox oil... Twice. It had a k tuned short shifter box which was making mine feel worse, so I've gone back to a oem shifter box. It seriously puts me off the car tbh, as my ep3 box was perfect and so smooth! so was expecting the same from the teg. Just a shame a gear box rebuild is soooo expensive

Justin
How did oem shifter go? Has it helped now?

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
It's good tbh, made 2nd gear feel a lot better to get into. The others now don't feel as nice, but still good overall. If I get my box done I'd put the ktuned shifter box back in.

Justin

kazmo

Advanced Member
i have the ktuned spring mod, and bush the other end, nice feel to it now and quite cheap too !

p1tse

Advanced Member
Fanard said:
Yeah I know what you mean, i'm tempted to do a couple of little upgrades like the bushes and spring just to see if it makes a difference. They definitely should have made it a smoother box, lets the car down slightly like you say it can be off putting.
Mine is silky smooth clutch and gearbox

p1tse

Advanced Member
Fanard said:
Based in Derbyshire mate, picked the car up from Somerset when i bought it
Okay
Just thought if local you could have tried

Assumed you were local as you bought the car from south west. There were other forum cars for sale your way then I think

Fanard

Patch_teg said:
Okay
Just thought if local you could have tried

Assumed you were local as you bought the car from south west. There were other forum cars for sale your way then I think
Ahh that would have been good! No worries though! Like I say I'll try a few things and see if anything improves it!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fanard

Jinis dust said:
Worth a try I suppose, but I think a gearbox spruce up is the only way really.

Where abouts in Derbyshire?! I'm not far at all from there.

Justin
Chesterfield mate. You?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Has the clutch been changed atall? I had a full rebuild on mine at 120k and it wasn't really needed that badly, TGM reckoned i could have got away with a clutch change only.

I budgeted for the full build so had the lot changed for peice of mind. Synchros hub assembly, new gears and bearings etc, and its the best thing ive done tbh. They changed the clutch at the same time obviously, but something still wasn't right, struggling to engage second etc, and a noise when my foot was off the clutch pedal, so i took it back, Tom changed the clutch again under warranty ( covered about 1000 miles) and it cured everything. All parts were oem too, so very rare for something to be a miss with a new clutch kit but hey, thats just my luck hahaha. Hence why i am suggesting clutch.

But if the clutch is due a renewal then that won't be helping. :) could always bleed it with new fluid and see if that helps?

Fanard

Jimmer said:
Has the clutch been changed atall? I had a full rebuild on mine at 120k and it wasn't really needed that badly, TGM reckoned i could have got away with a clutch change only.

I budgeted for the full build so had the lot changed for peice of mind. Synchros hub assembly, new gears and bearings etc, and its the best thing ive done tbh. They changed the clutch at the same time obviously, but something still wasn't right, struggling to engage second etc, and a noise when my foot was off the clutch pedal, so i took it back, Tom changed the clutch again under warranty ( covered about 1000 miles) and it cured everything. All parts were oem too, so very rare for something to be a miss with a new clutch kit but hey, thats just my luck hahaha. Hence why i am suggesting clutch.

But if the clutch is due a renewal then that won't be helping. :) could always bleed it with new fluid and see if that helps?
It could well be the clutch mate, but it was changed to a Toda clutch in 2011 and assuming it is still that clutch that is fitted. Not sure it would help changing it and its a costly job to do it so would have to look into it. Maybe the aftermarket clutch is what is causing the issue, like you say yours is all OEM and runs spot on.

Cheers

maggot brain

How bad does it feel? I recommend oem shifter height always, no short shifters, bushing and shift linkages could help if it's not too bad, along with a fluid change. I definitely recommend doing the bushes and linkages though, feels great, smooth and crisp.

Fanard

maggot brain said:
How bad does it feel? I recommend oem shifter height always, no short shifters, bushing and shift linkages could help if it's not too bad, along with a fluid change. I definitely recommend doing the bushes and linkages though, feels great, smooth and crisp.

Cheers Maggot.
It's not awful and definitely improves once warm. Definitely going to upgrade the bushes and do a fluid change and see how much difference it makes. If it's still bad I'll upgrade to the K-Tuned pivot ball and Spring to see if that helps. Linkages are quite expensive so may be a last resort for me at the moment

Fanard

Midnight

Advanced Member
Old thread revival.

What exactly would be needed? I've seen Tegiwa do the Ktuned items and there own branded bushes.

What would be needed keeping the OEM shifter?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Sorry,

Looking to have a slightly firmer gear shift. Seen a few threads saying bushes/cables 'can' help.

Looked on the Tegiwa website and there are various bushes / cables.

Just wondering what people would recommend bearing in mind, want to keep OEM shifter mech.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Cable bushing on the gearbox side, K-Tuned billet shifter arm and a nice weighty gear knob

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
What sort of oil goes in the gearbox? I know clutch and brakes can use the same but what do you put in the gearbox and any recommendations for the DC5

kazmo

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
What sort of oil goes in the gearbox? I know clutch and brakes can use the same but what do you put in the gearbox and any recommendations for the DC5
Honda MTF3