help choosing induction parts

NiCkO

Advanced Member
a PWJDM power chamber V's an AEM V2 is far superior

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-Dry-Carbon-Fiber-PowerChamber-Intake-02-06-RSX-02-05-Civic-Si-P1899C335.aspx

not sure against a gruppe m i just think there over priced for what they achieve.

Kinli

Advanced Member
I have been thinking of a new intake system for some time now.
The AEM CAI has always been the favorite choise, I had one in my EP3 and I have one at the moment in the DC5 fitted with termotech and a apexi filter.

However, as my minibattery (PC680) is easily relocateable, like this: click, I thought of making a straight 3" pipe from the TB to where the battery was and put the filter right there. I would then use the brake duct to run cool air to the filter thru the hole behind the headlight (used originally for the windshield washer bottleneck).

My washer bottle is already relocated to the other side of the car so the hole is free.

Some pointers:
- The intake would be short compared to a old school CAI, but not much shorter than a basic hot air intake (SRI or whatever) that sits over the gearbox.
- It would probably not suck as much cold air as a old school CAI, but I don't believe it would be far from it. Especially if I feed the filter with cold air from the brake duct.
- The shorter intake pipe should produce better throttle response, one of the old school CAIs drawbacks.
- Bends, especially aggressive bends like 90° and especially near the beginning and the end of the intake, are bad for the airflow.
- With this intake I would have a straight intake pipe with no bends except a slight one at the TB because of the intake manifold angle.
- Loosing the cooling duct for the left brake rotor is not a biggy. I won't be doing any 24h endurance racing. The EP3 didn't have any extra cooling for the brakes and it coped fine.

Any thoughts?

NiCkO

Advanced Member
very similar angel to k swapped EK's filter site's behind the head light look professional and clean.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Will you be running a collector box around the filter to slow down the air/ increase the air pressure?

Kinli

Advanced Member
Will you be running a collector box around the filter to slow down the air/ increase the air pressure?
I wasn't planning on running one, but I will defo look into it.

I finally got the IM & TB fitted and I'm starting to think that the intake I'm planning on is going to be a bit short.

I know that the intake & exhaust should work together and that the length of both (=balance) is important for the flow.
My J's Racing exhaust manifold primary runners are much longer than stock or any other brands exhaust manifold
I wonder if the j's would benefit from a longer or shorter intake?

Any ideas?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
That's a very interesting question. I would have imagined they done the calculations and testing to optimise the balance (not ignoring mapping) when designing the tsuchinoko intake. in saying that though, the owner of that Js time attack dc5 in Oz changed the tsuchinoko for a custom intake where the headlight was converted into an air duct. Where the air filter was located though I have no idea