Help me justify £4.5k engine build

eXceed

Resident Driver
At 6k, buy another car, strip out required bits and sell the rest on ebay - will be cheaper
Personally I'd just buy a built engine and be done with it, for about £3k and I'm laughing. Especially if you already have kpro, rest is easy. I have a spare k24 (crv) mount if you wanted it ;)?

kingston

Advanced Member
Personally I'd just buy a built engine and be done with it, for about £3k and I'm laughing. Especially if you already have kpro, rest is easy. I have a spare k24 (crv) mount if you wanted it ;)?
Yeah, id agree with you on that but wouldnt 'waste' 6k on an engine build but then again, im tight :D

haitch

Advanced Member
The Injector Dynamics are the best out there, you may get higher rated RC etc for cheaper but they are not as good, about to order a set of ID725's for mine as Will at RDT recomends them, average price in US is $450 (approx £270) add in postage and import duties. TDI are now retailers for ID.

eXceed

Resident Driver
The Injector Dynamics are the best out there, you may get higher rated RC etc for cheaper but they are not as good, about to order a set of ID725's for mine as Will at RDT recomends them, average price in US is $450 (approx £270) add in postage and import duties. TDI are now retailers for ID.
Or just get the ID1000cc (they'll be running less duty so less heat :)) for about £30 more DELIVERED.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Injector-Dynamics-1000cc-Acura-RSX-Civic-Si-K20-K20A3-/270612238561?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f01bf10e1

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
haitch, Will recommended them to me aswell.

I know it's a lot for this build, but it seems more so since I am doing everything in one go. Plus everything is being renewed including chains, tensioner, guides, gaskets and some bolts.
Also add goodies like sump baffle, flywheel, cams and springs, injectors, 70mm throttle body and decat, it soon adds up.

I'm sure it's no more or less than what some have spent over time to get to the same build.

There will still be a build thread regardless :p

karlh22

I know what its like I had the same thing with my prelude h22. What started out as replacing valve stem seals ended up in a £4k plus build. EBay and tuning site are so easy to put ideas in your head. But I would go for it if I could afford it.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Ha isn't it always the way :p

What sort of power does anyone think it might achieve, with the brief list below?

2164cc,
89.5mm pistons,
cams (unknown which type yet),
RBC intake
70mm throttle body
Apexi air filter
Spoon 4-2 mani
Spoon b-pipe
Spoon N1 backbox

Looking at the most powerful n/a build thread, maybe rating it about 280/290? Similar builds are seeing 275hp but dynos by Clockwise Motion have shown the extra displacement to give around 25hp

eXceed

Resident Driver
I can't see why that shouldn't be about 280/290. If you're going for increased displacement I'd be looking at either some Brian Crower stage 3 cams (would be last choice!), Drag Cartel stage 5 or IPS KME cams. Proven results for the K20 with these cams!

Vtec Accord

Don't go into this build worrying about what the max hp will be as you may be disapointed.

Go into knowing that your car will have more hp, more torque and it will be right across the rev range and you will be a happy chappy. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice 15 or 20hp at the top for 20 - 40hp through the rev range.

:)

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
I can't see why that shouldn't be about 280/290. If you're going for increased displacement I'd be looking at either some Brian Crower stage 3 cams (would be last choice!), Drag Cartel stage 5 or IPS KME cams. Proven results for the K20 with these cams!
Im pretty sure the KME plus Drag Cartel stg 4 & 5 are for 99mm Cranks

[quote name=tricker_luke]
2164cc,
89.5mm pistons,
cams (unknown which type yet),
RBC intake
70mm throttle body
Apexi air filter
Spoon 4-2 mani
Spoon b-pipe
Spoon N1 backbox
[/quote]

Looks good, but I would want a proper CAI also a 2.75" - 3" exhaust and a better race header (e.g. Toda) to make power

oh the RBC would would rock with a bit of porting too