HELP - Passenger window just exploded

Linus27

Advanced Member
Hi,

Just driving home from work and heard this weird noise and then my passenger door window literally exploded shooting glass everywhere. Scared the crap out of me and the noise was huge.

What are my options in getting this replaced ASAP? Is this something Autoglass can do easily or am I better of talking to TGM?

Also, as I have no window now, is my alarm going to keep going off?

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Chances are autoglass won't stock it you could try tgm if not integrastella on fleabay will have stock am guessing its easier enough to do how local are you? I could do it for you if you can't do it yourself as I use to work for mobile windscreens years ago.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Not sure where you would get the glass as above really but it's a well easy job to do, remove the door card, and wind the window or mechanism in your case half way down, until two bolts line up with two holes in the door, undo and the hole thing just lifts out, you can remove the window strip and surround to make it Easyer.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Was window open slightly or fully closed when it went? Could be a stone chip from the side

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Rom

Advanced Member
For future reference, AutoGlass etc, will fit a perspex panel as a temp fix, until glass arrives.

Linus27

Advanced Member
adam. said:
Glad you're sorted - but what the bloody hell caused that?!
No idea at all. Just driving along a country road called Pirbright Bends and it explodes. Windows were both shut so very confusing.

Here is the dash cam clip. Sorry about quality but you can hear it explode at about 25 seconds. It literally exploded into thousands of pieces. No piece of glass was left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueveiuhxXz0

DC5RS

DC5
Linus27 said:
If you're ever up that way again, can you ask the army to stop shooting at me :)
This is exactly what I thought when seen the video lol. Glad you are had no injury and you getting it sorted

Rom

Advanced Member
Very odd tbh. The motor wouldn't t have enough torque to shatter it, the glass is too strong vertically.

Sent from my S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Can really only be an object striking it. Maybe a bird or something

Linus27

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
This is exactly what I thought when seen the video lol. Glad you are had no injury and you getting it sorted
To be honest, I see the army on exercise a lot in this area and I did pat myself down just to make sure I hadn't been shot :lol:

Linus27

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Can really only be an object sticking it. Maybe a bird or something
What I don't get is the angle I was on the road behind the car in front, if a stone had flown up, chances are it would of hit the windscreen. The angle just seems very odd and impossible to hit the passenger window at such force to totally shatter it. So I guess very possible a bird hit it but I would of thought I would of heard a thud maybe.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Just watched that video.. How did you not let out a yelp? Would have scared the crap out of me.. Also you had literally just passed like a lay by or laneway? Sounds to me like something hit it.. Freaky

Linus27

Advanced Member
alan-lee said:
Just watched that video.. How did you not let out a yelp? Would have scared the crap out of me.. Also you had literally just passed like a lay by or laneway? Sounds to me like something hit it.. Freaky
I did say out loud WTF once I kind of realised what just happened :) Yes, just to the left is like a green lane, path that goes into the ranges. You can't access it as it is blocked but I think the army and fire brigade can access it. You can also see the MoD metal sign saying there may be unexplored bombs and live rounds etc beyond this point. The thing is, there is also a puddle on the road do ?I move out a bit to go around it. Still don't understand what's happened.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
This happened to me many years ago in a 205 GTI once. Window was about a quarter of the way down. Totally blew out much the same way. Still to this day have no idea why and never heard of any going the same. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
On the vid, about half a second before it shattered, there's a pinging noise. Could that be related?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk