Help: VTEC stalling at 6k rpm

Kenz

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Its easy to say its 'simple mechanics' when every simple problem you have you take it to a mechanic 🤷🏻‍♂️
Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Its easy to say its 'simple mechanics' when every simple problem you have you take it to a mechanic ‍♂
But I don't, I do a fair bit on my drive. I take it to garages mainly because I don't have the correct tools, the spare parts etc or simply because I value my time more than it costs me to use theirs.

I'm fairly certain that if all things mentioned in this thread have been checked on all cars then the fault could be found.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
For a change I have some good news, so I thought I'd lighten the mood regarding what's been said on this thread.

Here is after changing the VTC solenoid, I'm confident this has now sorted the problem.

https://youtu.be/7L3NkLMQVeg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Excellent, I'm glad it's sorted and it's not surprising to see that it's something that's been mentioned a few times in this thread. :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Excellent, I'm glad it's sorted and it's not surprising to see that it's something that's been mentioned a few times in this thread. :)
It's a funny one Chris, as honestly it never actually threw a code until I took it out and cleaned it.

It really confused me but I'm just happy it's fixed and red lining once again

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The codes thrown are set via thresholds, so voltage, open circuit, resistance etc. Items can fail but still be within acceptable thresholds. It's frustrating but it's the way it is.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've uploaded a video of the pull after changing the solenoid, seems to me like its pulling fine see what anyone else thinks?

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Glad your sorted mate bet you must feel a huge relief.
I'll let you know how I get on at TDI tomorrow.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
crasherkid said:
Glad your sorted mate bet you must feel a huge relief.
I'll let you know how I get on at TDI tomorrow.
Cheers mate, it seems to hold back a tiny bit but it seems like it's struggling to breathe. Hoping when I put my Gruppe M it should be fine.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Hi
I've been to TDI today and I think they've found the fault :D

First of all I just wanna say a massive thanks to everyone for all the support and advice.
Cut a long story short.. I had a custom backbox made that was still too loud and when I said I would've preferred it a little quieter, the exhaust place welded in a silencer into the tailpipe assuring me it would keep noise levels down. Now the diameter of this silencer is around the same as a pound coin, so basically the back pressure/exhaust fumes were restricted like crazy and car was struggling to exhale. They never described this silencer to me at all, they just said it would make the car quieter which it did.

Credit to Neil at TDI who checked everything on the car and said everything was fine.
He believed it was either the cat or the exhaust so started revving the life out of it then he said something's not right with this exhaust. Got the torch out, looked into the tailpipe and said "there's your problem" :)
I feel absolutely dumb as f*ck for not checking this at all but I feel so much relieve as I've possibly found the fault.
All i need is a new backbox and should be all good hopefully but yeah if anyone else has similar issues, I would check the breathing first.

Liamneale69

That's great news mate, is abit curios now about my exhaust, it's a 5zigen pro racer but it's rusty as hell and if I'm totally honest I don't know wether it's just a cat back or jus the back box it's that corroded there's no way it would split from the b pipe, it's making me think now that the baffles inside have gone or something but it's not noisy at all. Glad they've found the problem for you anyway hopefully

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Mine feels like it's not breathing correctly, changing my VTC has improved but not totally cured the issue.

When accelerating in vtec it seems to be about 2 seconds behind all my mates DC5's. I'm putting a Gruppe M on tomorrow so that'll rule the intake out.

Me and LiamNeale69 both have the same Catback so it could be this exhaust system could be actually robbing power than freeing it up.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Quite common with the 5zigen pro racer exhausts.

Have a quick google about them, they do not get good review at all.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
Quite common with the 5zigen pro racer exhausts.

Have a quick google about them, they do not get good review at all.
This sucks, I wouldn't know as my car came with this exhuast on. Bit gutted if it is as I really like the exhaust and it doesn't look old either

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Well this is from Toda themselves..

Anyone got a nice Catback for sale? 😂

Liamneale69

Yeah same mine was imported with it on, looks alright and that but it is abit quiet. I'm going To unbolt it from the car and give it a run with it unbolted see if it changes anything

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Liamneale69 said:
Yeah same mine was imported with it on, looks alright and that but it is abit quiet. I'm going To unbolt it from the car and give it a run with it unbolted see if it changes anything
Let me know mate

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Hate to say I told you so but didn't I mention broken down cat and/or knackered exhaust on a previous page. :p

Jokes aside I'm glad to hear that you've finally sorted it.

As a side note, unfortunately a lot of 'performance' mods for these cars are no better than OEM and in some cases, are worse.