HID light (again!)

truffs

Driving to work tonight, went over a bump and my nearside HID light stopped working :oops: Has anyone had this problem before :?: Got to work looked at the casing and its all fogged up. I thought they dont blow (My cars only done 17000 miles) and if they did it was before you turned your light switch on not whilst driving :?: Any ideas :?:
Just as a fail safe does anyone know of the price for one of these and part number so i can go to honda and have a word?
Im so annoyed because its been running so well the last couple of months and i have a track day on the 6th Jan at bedford (fingers crossed)

mugen chip

Advanced Member
mine was fogged up too when it came over wit a missing bulb so i,d to take the bumper off and all thet jazz
but its still fogged up even after the new bulb has been fitted and its the passenger side .. but hasn,t blown thankfully just wish the vapour would go out off it
anyone else have this prob???? :?

truffs

why isnt anything simple. went to Honda in Ryslip today, front bumper removed and the good HID was swapped with the busted one, the sad thing is it worked. The problem being is that the da*n power unit has circuited. Went through a VERY heavy rain storm the other day, faulty seal water went in and 'POW' the blo*dy thing has blown :evil: When we removed the headlight it was like a little Niagra fall coming out of the unit. Tried to dry it out, hasnt worked. When the power is turned on it flickers and then goes out again. The only solution appears to be a new one. Do i have 13 stamped on my head or something. :cry: :cry: O yes the bill for the 'diagnostics' was £114, ouch :shock: (i have yet to get the part)
Plan of attack is to see if that bloke who is selling his kit either has a spare light or power unit..... maybe i will have some luck :oops:

mugen chip

Advanced Member
when i put the new bulb in mine it started to flicker and seemed like a
lack of power so i checked the fuse and it was blown its a 13amp fuse
when i replaced the fuse it works now but still the lense is fogged up
???????????????? :? :?

truffs

cheers for that but as the norm with me we swapped power packs around onto the light that wasnt working and surprise surprise it worked :cry: so it seems that the pack isn't working :!:

mugen chip

Advanced Member
heads a mess out last nite in the beast and yes the passenger hid bulb went again goina try and get another power pack or new head light??
any idea,s where i could get one off these or is it a pair i need???? :( :(

David Johnson

Parts Trader
Control Unit/Power Pack

These control units/power packs can be ordered from a honda dealer and can be obtained from Honda Europe overnight
Approx cost £179 plus vat etc
You may want to check the igniter lead as well

Dave Johnson
Steels Honda
Hereford
01432 267154

DP.

Advanced Member
hmm.... picked my DC5 up today.... and noticed tonight that one of the HIDs is out and both headlight units are steamed up a little...

is it a seperate fuse for each HID by any chance? I aint had a look to see where the fuse box is yet lol.

i wonder why the steam up? :?

T666YPR

Your lamps have been lying around in this cold damp weather while other units were plugged in for Esva.

On your next hot sunny day un-plug the units so the damp air will "dry out"

Or use a hair dryer on them whilst un-plugged.

T666YPR

Yes,take the rubber mount and bulb from the outermost pod and give the inside of the unit a good drying out.

From Dealer Manual Thread:

Have been given more info about the bulbs & powerpacks,if possible will update later.

Your dealer should be able to access the replacement part No.s,if not then definately contact Dave (Johnson) @ Steels 01432 267154,who has been very helpful 8)

Simon

DP.

Advanced Member
do you have to take the bumper off and all that before theres enough room to do that?

T666YPR

Not had to do it on mine ,fingers X'ed.

That said drivers-side unit is a bitch to work on and you usually have to take the bumper off to remove /change bulbs.

Take a hairdryer with you when you replace the bulb or unit,if they need replacing.

Just one of those inspirational moments when they designed the car...

..."I know,let's make easy jobs really tricky with this one :xgrphug: "

truffs

i have a spare HID light at the mo in full working order and i happen to be coming down to Bristol on Monday (fingers crossed) Unfortuantley for you its a full bumper off experience. if you have the know how do it yourself as its only a couple of srews and Honda Ryslip charged me £114 for the privalage!!

T666YPR

:shock: £114 :shock:

Time for DIY DP,it really isn't that hard removing the bumper,after you learn from the first time around.
Then you can take the unit out and let the air dry out overnight in home :)

truffs

i know Simon thats exactly what i did when they produced the bill. If it dosen't work after that mate give me a PM and we will have a talk about the HID i have :wink:

DP.

Advanced Member
£114? eek! :shock:

Well im not afraid of taking the bumper off... so doing that and letting the units dry indoors overnight sounds like a pretty good idea :)

Is it just the bumper that needs removing then? Are there any threads to give me a heads up before I do this at the weekend? Cheers

truffs

Just to let you know about my problem. It is now fixed after buying a whole drivers side head light unit with powerpack, bulbs and mountings for £95 and honda wanted to charge me £175 for the powerpack :!: Thanks to the bloke on the for sale of this forum for that :D It shows by shopping aroind you can always find things cheaper :!: