Hopefully DC5 owner to be - looking for pre-buying tips!

Josh16v

Advanced Member
First of all hello! I'm a new member, soon to turn 21 so can finally afford to insure myself an import.
Always loved jap cars (currently own a mitsi) and I think the dc5 is my next step, before the obvious evo ;)
Been saving for years and I've just about got enough dosh together so I've got a few annoying querstions before I get out and view / test drive a few!...

1) Average MPG? Mainly town stuff but giving it some beans every now and again
2) I've seen on some websites there are 1.8 and 2.0 type Rs? I always thought they were all 2 litres?
3) How hard is it to get replacement parts? I.e exhaust systems, pads etc?
4) What other UK Hondas share the same engine?
5) Anything specific to look out for?
6) Stupid question, but reliablitly? I know it's a honda and most jap cars are pretty much bulletproof, but I'm going to wanna use it as a daily!

Did have loads more questions but can't think of them right now hah!
I'm a painter / mechanic by trade so can generally spot a dodgey example, just like to know what I'm buying for such a sum of money!

Oh and if anybody is selling a DC5 let me know!
After a white or black one, red interior, low milage, pre-facelift but new as poss, preferably standard but wouldn't mind a few tasteful mods, C-pack with all the trimmings, and has to be unblemished!!
I know I'm picky :p

Thanks lads!

leejw87

Spoon Whore
The 1.8 is the engine that is in the DC2 the DC5 has a 2.0 K20a no other Uk Honda has the same engine

Some may say the EP3 shares the same but that is a K20a2 with lower compression, different cams etc

MPG you can average about 35 - 40 on motorway runs
25 - 30 urban. There pretty Economical if driven the right way.

Replacement parts are easy to get! everything can be got from Honda, there might be the odd thing that isn't available but nothing major.

alfa27

Advanced Member
i use mine as a daily and in 3 years of ownership it failed to start once, i ran the battery down so it was my fault.

mains issues are the o2 sensor and some models had a recall over the steering rack iirc.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Hi Josh....welcome mate...most of what you`ve asked has been answered and the best place to buy yourself a `Teg is probably in the "for sale " section on here...cherished examples,well looked after with a few subtle mods chucked in!! Good hunting :xcheers:

PooM

Good to see your going for a DC5 at such a young age! You won't regret it! :) - How's insurance looking? Must be a fortune! :eek:

One thing I will say is, and this is my personal opinion. Try go for a black interior, I just think the red will get very tatty looking if your going for a daily driver. It fades/wears very quickly and will soon look like pink seats.
Oh and don't do what I did, and wear jeans with zips on the back, they rip the airmesh on the seat :(

As everyone has said, the DC5 is probably the most reliable car you will ever own! Just make sure you get one off here, as it will be well looked after. Everyone on this forum is sound. :)

Oh and if you're looking at getting a fresh import, please don't goto SVA Imports, they are sh*t! (I got mine there) :)

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Cheers for the reply lads. Theres a local import garage (ebony & ivory) in my town so I'm going to pop down there tomorrow for a chat to see if they can do anything for me.

Insurance, best quote was from Bell at £1600, but I know I can get a better one under admiral multicar for about £1400.
Not too bad considering I'm paying £1k for my Mirage at the moment, and the sale of this car will cover insurance for the first year anyway!

Since I have a dusty / dirty job, I always invest in seat covers so I'm not worried about any fading!

Any areas of the car prone to rust at all? Can anyone explain the options of the C-pack for me? Was it a full package, or could you pick and choose parts like the start button etc?

Grov

Banned
C- Pack is just Electric folding mirrors, privacy glass and rear wiper. Push start was an option.

1600quid isn't bad for your age IMO for insurance.

IMO the red seats look so much better if your careful getting in and out, they will last. Mine's done 50k miles and the seats are unblemished.

Some areas on mine have a bit of rust. Behind the front bumper, and a tiny bit under the arches, just make sure the car has been undersealed properly and it should be fine.

MPG is anything from 15-45, depending on how you drive it and short/long trips, etc.

Some parts need to come from Japan(or Denmark i think it is as they have a warehouse there) but stuff like pads, discs, etc can all be got from Honda, and cheap as well. Tuning parts are expensive.

Stoo

Whining.....
The warehouse is in Belgium buddy.
Good luck with your hunt mate.

As above really, look for a good one, look at a few. Don't just buy the first one unless it's perfect!

eg9_dc2

Advanced Member
i could be selling my black 1 but im still in 2 minds about it.i might buy an evo...i know i wont be able to run/maintain it too easily so having a good old think about it.lol.

look to see if its been undersealed properly.

change gears at high revs to get a feel of the gearbox and its condition.

would be better to get 1 with lower mileage so you have the feeling of a 'fresh' import lol.

oh and thumbs up for the seat covers....especially for red seats...i got mine from capital seating there 40quid EACH but worth it...they fit well and good quality.

before i bought mine i saw a few that were modified and i thought i could save myself some money there but if they v been modified too much then theyv been normally driven harder too and some people even track them so just be aware....but you can tell the condition of a car regardless of mods....

like Stoo said, look for the perfect 1 and look at a few different ones too....i drove 5-600 miles and almost convinced myself to buy 1 that was badly damage repaired.....lol.

as they say..good things come to those who wait....but dont take too long! lol

tomdc5

i use mine as a daily and in 3 years of ownership it failed to start once, i ran the battery down so it was my fault.

mains issues are the o2 sensor and some models had a recall over the steering rack iirc.
how do check to see if your model has an issue wthe the steering rack thanks

Stoo

Whining.....
how do check to see if your model has an issue wthe the steering rack thanks
It was a recall in japan on certain chassis numbers.
I can't remember the range but I'll try to find out.

Basically the fix was a tab washer on the steering arm mount bolts.
(Can someone post a pic please as I am unable to)

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Here is the pic

If it has been done they put a sticker inside the rear window.

Sticker of No.1009 is stuck in corner under the rear windshield left

You can also check online,

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Go to :

http://recallsearch4...do?fn=link.disp

2) In the boxes at the top enter your chassis code.

First Box is for the Model - e.g "DC5"
Second box for Chassis number

Press red search button next to the two boxes.

3) Open up a new page and go to google translate

http://translate.google.com/#

4) Highlight and copy the Japanese blurb from the Honda search result page to the translation box in google translate and Press translate

5) Presto - English Translation for recall search results