How does a DC5 compare to an S2000

Cjhdc5

That vid is one quick car.

I don't mind the fiesta but at 35 no way would I want or drive one, maybe early/mid 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
How come they're less economical James, are they a lot worse on fuel than the DC5?

They nice to drive though? They look cracking and I do have a soft spot for them.

Space would be kind of an issue as I do like to get out and about. At least the Teg has a decent sized boot.
The thing is they are not modern engines, the f20 is a brilliant lump, but alot less frugal than the K series engine. Very similar the the old B series engines in terms of characteristics. I personally think is a brilliant thing to drive, nice and low, long bonnet, legs out infront, very responsive steering, and the rear end can be lively when you want it to...however, the fuel just goes. Lol no matter how careful it's driven on a small journey a bar of fuel is lost. Haha you will need some good tyres on it to avoid it biting you in the bum if its raining or something, and thats where the fun goes. You will need alot more driver skill to keep it in check. If the rear geometry bolts are seized that's about 4 figures to put right, headlights that have gone cloudy are another 4 figures, ripped roofs are common in the colder months if they haven't been changed already so another £200-£300 for that to be redone. Or get a hard top for one, but again expect to pay near 4 figures or find one thats got one with it, but then you need storage for the roof...its big haha. Youll go through more rear tyres than you would have done on the front of the teg if driven daily I would have thought aswell.

If you want to use it as a daily, its noisy without the hard top, not a great deal of space, minimal cubby holes etc. All the creature comforts you took for granted in the teg are gone. If your tall your knee will hit the console which after a while on the motorway I imagine would hurt lol. Mine touches from time to time so i have to rest it in a different position on long drives. It's purely a drivers car really :) long gears makes it a brilliant long distance cruiser though. mods are much more costly than a dc5 ive found, simple things which some have questioned the price for on here are usually double for an S. And there expensive enough. Haha

As i said, on a sunny day its a fantastic place to be. Gear changes are beautiful, and how it drives are very precise, roof down is awesome and with a nice exhaust note to suit its wicked! Gets alot of attention. My dads is yellow, and when im in the teg, his is the one getting the pointing fingers haha. I couldnt think of any other car id rather be in during the summer months. You need to try one really at some point :)

However, i saw your posts about the dc5 at times, and blips with finances etc (which is none of my place) but the s2000 wouldn't be a cheaper option per say. You may find one cheaper to buy, but running and maintaining it other than oil changes are abit more expensive if at times you found it hard with the Teg. Just a heads up. But have a go in one! Haha they are brilliant fun...but for me, I preferred the teg as a daily.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Agreed Jimmer, my S2000 was a thirsty thing. Admittedly I live in a town area so stop start driving was an issue. But that even mixed with the odd spirited drive could see me with about 180miles to a tank! On a long constant speed to Devon, I reckon I could see about 280-300miles. Max!

Parts were expensive. Next step up is an NSX which is the problem. You're near the top of the tree.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
How come they're less economical James, are they a lot worse on fuel than the DC5?

They nice to drive though? They look cracking and I do have a soft spot for them.

Space would be kind of an issue as I do like to get out and about. At least the Teg has a decent sized boot.

335d would be too costly for me to run but they are rapid for sure.

It's probably going to be a DC5 then ha ha!
When you say running costs, what does that include?

p1tse

Advanced Member
Cjhdc5 said:
I had the same feeling about a gen7 Celica it just missed that extra special something.

Mental how far the fiesta has come, it now can give the DC5 go proper go

I had a mildly modded gen 7
Loved it and enjoyed it very much.
Never understood the type R thing before as on paper it lacks against rivals; but what paper doesn't show is the feedback, involvement of the build

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
The thing is they are not modern engines, the f20 is a brilliant lump, but alot less frugal than the K series engine. Very similar the the old B series engines in terms of characteristics. I personally think is a brilliant thing to drive, nice and low, long bonnet, legs out infront, very responsive steering, and the rear end can be lively when you want it to...however, the fuel just goes. Lol no matter how careful it's driven on a small journey a bar of fuel is lost. Haha you will need some good tyres on it to avoid it biting you in the bum if its raining or something, and thats where the fun goes. You will need alot more driver skill to keep it in check. If the rear geometry bolts are seized that's about 4 figures to put right, headlights that have gone cloudy are another 4 figures, ripped roofs are common in the colder months if they haven't been changed already so another £200-£300 for that to be redone. Or get a hard top for one, but again expect to pay near 4 figures or find one thats got one with it, but then you need storage for the roof...its big haha. Youll go through more rear tyres than you would have done on the front of the teg if driven daily I would have thought aswell.

If you want to use it as a daily, its noisy without the hard top, not a great deal of space, minimal cubby holes etc. All the creature comforts you took for granted in the teg are gone. If your tall your knee will hit the console which after a while on the motorway I imagine would hurt lol. Mine touches from time to time so i have to rest it in a different position on long drives. It's purely a drivers car really :) long gears makes it a brilliant long distance cruiser though. mods are much more costly than a dc5 ive found, simple things which some have questioned the price for on here are usually double for an S. And there expensive enough. Haha

As i said, on a sunny day its a fantastic place to be. Gear changes are beautiful, and how it drives are very precise, roof down is awesome and with a nice exhaust note to suit its wicked! Gets alot of attention. My dads is yellow, and when im in the teg, his is the one getting the pointing fingers haha. I couldnt think of any other car id rather be in during the summer months. You need to try one really at some point :)

However, i saw your posts about the dc5 at times, and blips with finances etc (which is none of my place) but the s2000 wouldn't be a cheaper option per say. You may find one cheaper to buy, but running and maintaining it other than oil changes are abit more expensive if at times you found it hard with the Teg. Just a heads up. But have a go in one! Haha they are brilliant fun...but for me, I preferred the teg as a daily.
Wow! Amazing post, thanks James!

I don‘t know where to start really ha ha!

I did not realise they were such a poor engine economically so that is good to know, I wasn‘t aware of that.

The engine itself does seem a cracker as does the drive, I love low cars like that and it‘s a lovely car. I do still want to drive one but the above information you have given is really good and has opened my eyes a bit and made me realise that going for one is perhaps not the wisest move.

I‘ve read as well they make peak power very high up in the rev range, even higher than a K20 however I am not sure if that is true. I do love revving the nuts out of a car but doing it every day isn‘t perhaps the wisest of moves lol.

Also the parts, I would not have thought parts would be expensive for them. I did have a lot of trouble running and in a way maintaining the Teg but I will only go back to a Honda this time if I can afford it. If I can‘t then I will be keeping the Skoda. I want to be able to enjoy whatever car I change to and I don‘t want it to be a struggle otherwise I‘m going back to square one. I do want to get in one though and see what they‘re like. Bet your old man‘s is lovely in Yellow!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
When you say running costs, what does that include?
Fuel more than anything buddy but also repairs when they happen. I had some bad luck with my old one but in the end it was just the cost of sticking fuel in alone that was killing me which is why I had to get rid. I had no choice really. If I'm being honest I am finding running any car a struggle at the moment, it's so bloody expensive to run a car these days but I have no choice, I have to.

jrscho

Advanced Member
S2000 is one of the top cars I really want. I freaking love them!!!! A big J's wing and some ce28SL's, some carbon goodies and it looks bloody amazing! But in all honestly as much as I love them, I don't think I will ever get one.. I need a big practical car and that doesn't fit the bill! I need a big boot, I can't even fit my snooker cue in the boot haha

Buy my car next year Marc ;) I really want a bmw lol never thought I'd say it but I do... But at the same time I'm scared I will miss the car after too!

p1tse

Advanced Member
Dc5 is worst on fuel bill to a 335d; but repairs on a modern car will no doubt be more costly

It is a shame how much fuel is these days.
I've been driving something more economical the last 6 months; even I don't do big mileage and it is nice to have a bit more change in the pocket.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
S2000 is one of the top cars I really want. I freaking love them!!!! A big J's wing and some ce28SL's, some carbon goodies and it looks bloody amazing! But in all honestly as much as I love them, I don't think I will ever get one.. I need a big practical car and that doesn't fit the bill! I need a big boot, I can't even fit my snooker cue in the boot haha

Buy my car next year Marc ;) I really want a bmw lol never thought I'd say it but I do... But at the same time I'm scared I will miss the car after too!
Ha ha!

Depending on my situation I'd definitely be interested in it. PM me near the time you're planning on selling bud, when were you thinking?

Yours is the Batmobile isn't it? Is it still charged?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I've had both. Some comments in this thread are just plain wrong, it's funny.

To sum up, I can get in the DC5 and drive it in all conditions without too much though. I couldn't in the S2000 unless it was a warm and dry day. I always had to think about steering input, throttle position, grip of the road. But the S2000 I think is a better drivers' car if you can live with it. If you're a good driver, you may get more enjoyment out of it. I just never felt comfortable driving it in anything other than perfect conditions. Plus it's not practical and the standard seats are rubbish for comfort, like proper rubbish.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
I completely disagree with you, i ran my s2000 as a daily in all weather conditions, if you don't provoke it when it rains then it is completely safe and sound. I wasn't constantly worrying about throttle and steering etc, just don't drive like an idiot in certain conditions, common sense really!

For anyone interested i posted a detailed review, I think it was in this thread near the beginning.

End of the day go and drive one rather than listening to other people's opinions

Phil r type

Advanced Member
I to had an s2000 in right hands in I bet it sticks to the road . In my hard It was a danger to myself and others lol. I did love it though after all it is a honda :) my dad still has his after 7 years ! He loves it. it's not as fast as the dc5 or his old dc2 but he said it's the best car he's ever had. Mines the dc5 . Each to there own

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Phil r type said:
I to had an s2000 in right hands in I bet it sticks to the road . In my hard It was a danger to myself and others lol. I did love it though after all it is a honda :) my dad still has his after 7 years ! He loves it. it's not as fast as the dc5 or his old dc2 but he said it's the best car he's ever had. Mines the dc5 . Each to there own
Must have been exciting to drive then if it had that effect on you ha ha! :)

jrscho

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Ha ha!

Depending on my situation I'd definitely be interested in it. PM me near the time you're planning on selling bud, when were you thinking?

Yours is the Batmobile isn't it? Is it still charged?
Although with all the parts on it it'll be around fd2 money as its all genuine parts! Also have a charge cooler and maxx racing bonnet stored up... Not sure! Would be next year for sure, just depends if I can persuade the girlfriend to let me buy a bmw haha

And yeah batmobile :p still has he jrsc yeah! Haven't updated my thread in about half a year though, too lazy...

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
Although with all the parts on it it'll be around fd2 money as its all genuine parts! Also have a charge cooler and maxx racing bonnet stored up... Not sure! Would be next year for sure, just depends if I can persuade the girlfriend to let me buy a bmw haha

And yeah batmobile :p still has he jrsc yeah! Haven't updated my thread in about half a year though, too lazy...
Lazy lazy lol.

Understandable really considering the car's spec, what power is it running?

Ha ha you will have to buy her lots for Christmas mate keep her sweet ha ha ha! :xgrin:

MrRy

Advanced Member
Jimmers comments are the closest to my thoughts based on when I owned one. I may buy another one day but saying that, I only would want to drive it on weekends and in warm conditions. It's just stupidly impractical as a daily. And oem vs oem, isn't as fun as the dc5.

Sold mine for 7800 on 22k, after I bought it a for 6500 from a guy who just upgraded to an R8. I do wonder what it would be worth now with such low mileage, but it was ladyboy blue so probably only worth buying to scrap.