How To...Adjust Your Clutch

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Just adjusted mine! had a crunch into 4th in VTEC and sometimes 3rd! now nothing :D Easy enough to do! just a fornicate to get you're hands round! cheers guys!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I'm a tad confused with what people are calling a high biting point, and a low biting point. Ill explain....

I recently took my dads FN2 out for a quick drive to pick up some milk, and get fuel for him whilst the Teg was at my girlfriends for the night. I noticed straight away that his biting point and gear changes were epic...almost fairy tale they were that good. Even from cold, I just pulled off and without even so much as a shift movement of my left hand, second gear was selected almost automatically. (his car has covered 80,000 miles, and never had a clutch change btw)

It seemed to me that his biting, point.... (and this is where I get confused) was at the bottom (best way to describe it is if you press the pedal fully, and start to lift your foot back off again, its instantly trying to move the car) Sounds really daft I know but I have always wanted to clear it up. ...is this a low, or a high biting point?

Which ever it is, I would like to try and achieve a similar feel with mine. I have had a full rebuild of my gearbox in April 2013, with a new synchro hub assembly, with new first and second gears, new clutch and fluid by TGM. Now,.. my clutch is feather light, It doesn't crunch etc so I'm not looking to adjust my clutch and make it worse. Low gears can be a pig when cold occasionally, but I always let the car warm in the mornings. After 10 mins or so its bearable until hot, at which point its a very enjoyable box to work through.

It's not phased me until now, but every time I get into my dads car, I find that I really do love his biting point position, and can't help but think I would love to adjust mine the same. It seems to make gear changes alot less jerky.

With mine being towards the top of the pedal travel.... (I understand it as a high biting point??) , I find that in comparison if im not as on the ball when driving it, its almost like it just "thumps" into gear at the last minute. Bit of an exaggeration but the best way I could describe it really. haha selscts gear fine then as you are towards the top of the pedal travel the gear engages at the last minute. I usually have it down to a fine art, but if I could drive it with the same eager feeling the FN2 has, it would be awesome!!!.

I don't want to make it worse!!, that's for sure, but in adjusting the clutch, can my bite become a little better?? Or am I just shortening the life of the clutch and wasting time?

sorry for the long question, hopefully it makes sense to someone. haha

James

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi James,

Good post that and a really detailed one too.

Mine has a low biting point but still 'thumps' itself into gear as you mentioned above, feels like a spring in a way it jolts itself into gear and it does this regularly but mainly when cold.

The clutch pedal does feel heavy too so personally, from my point of view I don't think adjusting it would really help as I believe mine is on its way out where as with yours it sounds as though it may be beneficial to adjust it, even if it is a relatively new clutch so to speak.

Yauie

Thanks for this my bite point was very low after a small adjustment it puts it in the middle to upper point on the pedal. The few turns of the rod makes quite a lot of difference, the rod only moved maybe 2 turns

Blake

Thread revival.

Done this today and made one hell of a difference. Would recommend.

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
After my 1st track day, my 2nd to 3rd gear crunch in high rpm, partly due to my fast hand slow foot action, then realise my biting point was low (3") from the flooring.
After re-bleeding the clutch completely and adjust the rod further out, now is much better, the bite point move to half way, which can provide me better timing for shifting, in case my foot is slower than my shift by mistake.

Have not tested it in detail. But such tiny adjustment can all help.