How to...Disable the clutch in start

Erm

Advanced Member
JezW said:
I leave the car in neutral and check it's in neutral before I start it, so don't see the need for this feature.

Maybe with older cars (or if it's very cold and your starter motor is struggling) you would disengage the gearbox prior to starting the engine to take some load off the starter motor. Wth modern cars I really don't think it's necessary...if the mechanical benefits were measurable then all manufacturers would install this feature.
The 11 plate audi S3 I had whilst my DC5 was in the bodyshop had this too.... I didn't notice as I always press the clutch down when starting any car now as I'm used to it from 10 years driving my DC5. Was only when the mrs went to start it it said on the dash press clutch before turning key.

Todd_77

Advanced Member
I think its a great feature :)

It caught me out after buying the car. Went to start it the next time and wondered why it wouldn't start. I started to panic thinking I had bought something dodgy lol

Shiro_DC5

I find this red button thing a red herring. For me this car isn't push button start, it's push clutch start. Hey cool the clutch starts the car :p

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
dc5ian said:
its the for a reason, so you dont start the car in gear.

i have taken the handbrake off my car so i could put 4 pots all round, ive started it once whilst it was in gear and had to run down the road to stop it, if i had the clutch start i wouldnt of done it lol
You've put 4 pots on the rear of a DC5 ????

Bikerz

Jimmer said:
Then stand on one leg, balance, and turn the key with your foot on the clutch pedal. :p you have to open the door anyway, so standing on one legs not going to hurt. xthumbup

Like Gok said, its brilliant watching people try to start the car. haha bless em. At least with it connected, you can be assured that nobody can accidentally jolt it forward with it in gear and hit anything by mistake. ;)
Some people have broken pelvis so cant do this :-(

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Shortstuff said:
Arent quite a few new cars coming with this feature?
This, i'm pretty sure its been a standard feature on ALL new cars for the last few years. The DC5 is just unusual in that its been around for alot longer.