I'm back!! Supercharge/Turbo?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Never see many turbo cars on tracks, they're mostly sat at TGM or another garage being modded/fixed. Plus don't forget static meets.

SmudgerByName

Advanced Member
A friend of mine has a Turbo EP3 that is an out and out track car (driven on the road when the daily is broke) and he hasn't had any issues with it (touchwood) and isn't afraid to use it either...

But I agree. Having come from a series of turbo'd cars I love the idea of a NA screamer and if I was going to push anymore out of the DC5 I would probably go down the NA route as well with ITBs, cams etc

Indi

Advanced Member
A friend of mine has a Turbo EP3 that is an out and out track car (driven on the road when the daily is broke) and he hasn't had any issues with it (touchwood) and isn't afraid to use it either...

But I agree. Having come from a series of turbo'd cars I love the idea of a NA screamer and if I was going to push anymore out of the DC5 I would probably go down the NA route as well with ITBs, cams etc
If this is the one I'm thinking of (black EP3?) he's had a lot of problems but none engine internal related, but the problems have occurred because of the turbo conversion, although when it works it's a very capable car.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Have my car running a Rotrex for about 5 years now and never had a single problem with it. Was using it as a daily for some time too while it was charged

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Wow this forum has completely changed. It's an ITR DC5 forum. Not Evo/skyline forum. I appreciate your story but I'm kind of here for information on DC5's...... 😒

Rich3248

Advanced Member
My last post was in response to jdm4lifes post.

Yeah look I'll have to see what happens. Might go all out N/a. I want reliability for daily driving. I've daily driven 400+bhp cars and While it was good fun and all that it's just kind of impractical sometimes.

DC5 is a decent all rounder.

Thanks for the info lads.

How many of ye in Ireland? (If any)😂

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Also, having done the 4WD turbo route, twice, my DC5 is more fun to drive especially on track. I also think lap times on track are very similar, even though it's 150 bhp down.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Think there is roughly about 4 Turbo/SC DC5s in Ireland. Mine is 1 of them. I could be wrong on that number though.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Never experienced a supercharged B18/K20 before, but I would always say turbo because the feeling of boost surge and the chatter in an N/A high comp engine is awesome. My DC2 used to start spooling and pulling, then VTEC kicked in and it was just madness until 8500rpm. Great on the road, not as much fun on track even with BBG.

To answer your question - I would go low boost, BBG and spend a pretty penny on cooling - heat shields, heat wrap, turbo cover, manifold coating, Koyo rad, oil cooler, water wetter, smallest intercooling possible, etc.

Mebz

Advanced Member
I much preferred my n/a DC5 on track compared to the FN2 turbo I have now.

So much so, I will be putting my FN2 up for sale soon and buying another n/a type r.

As a road car, it's a different story. K20 and boost is a lot of fun.

Db4193

Mebz said:
I much preferred my n/a DC5 on track compared to the FN2 turbo I have now.

So much so, I will be putting my FN2 up for sale soon and buying another n/a type r.

As a road car, it's a different story. K20 and boost is a lot of fun.
How much will you be putting that up for if you don't mind me asking :xgrin:?

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Whatever I decide to do it is for road use only and my priority is drivability. Good power/comfort and half decent on fuel. So in that scenario I'd imagine supercharger would be better?

TyperItr

Advanced Member
TypeRich said:
Whatever I decide to do it is for road use only and my priority is drivability. Good power/comfort and half decent on fuel. So in that scenario I'd imagine supercharger would be better?
As a daily and how you will be using it, I don't think it makes any difference at all which one you get really. Mapped correctly they will both be very drivable as an everyday, they will both get about the same mpg.

Although I am comparing a rotrex supercharger to a turbo. I am not sure how efficient a Jackson racing charger is regards mpg. Drivability will be the same.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I have rounded my mpg off to an average of 30 and that average covers the last 3 years. I take down the kilometres I have covered and how many litres my tank takes since the last refill. So that is as accurate an mpg as you will get. That includes everything --- Vtec (every time I drive it, actually vtec a few times every time I drive it) Motorway driving and city driving.

p1tse

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
I have rounded my mpg off to an average of 30 and that average covers the last 3 years. I take down the kilometres I have covered and how many litres my tank takes since the last refill. So that is as accurate an mpg as you will get. That includes everything --- Vtec (every time I drive it, actually vtec a few times every time I drive it) Motorway driving and city driving.
Is the noted kilometres then converted to miles to work out mpg?