Induction kit replacement

alex09

Just a quick question, the induction kit was on the car when i brought it, but the actual filter is getting abit dirty. my question is, is it best to replace it all together (if so any ideas where i would get on as i dont know the make etc) or just take it out and give it a good old clean.

Thanks alex

Attachments

dave7368

Advanced Member
without wanting to sound rude i would bin the whole thing and go completely new, AEM K&N Gruppe M depending on your budget of course, that looks like a 20 quid ebay jobbie

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
You could just clean it up in a bucket of cleaning solution, but as above, I would get something with a larger surface area for better breathing, that filter looks quite small, I think the OEM one is actually larger in comparison.

Zani

Advanced Member
My old induction kit took air from the same location as yours... I got the car mapped with several other mods and it LOST power over standard at 206hp.

... I drove it around for a while before changing it for a gruppe m... got it mapped again and boom 248hp!!! The car had a total transformation.

I would change it for something else, preferably some thing that does not take air from the back of the engine bay.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
There isn't much if you're on a tight budget. Not everyone can afford to spend £1k on a gruppe M and it's minimal gains for the money. As far as a cheap bang for buck goes the CAI kits do well as they get cold air from down in the wheel well area. Problem with this is you risk internal damage to the engine should you run in to standing water.

A second hand gruppe M, a tegiwa replica of the gruppe M or the Arc are quite favoured over everything else but even then it's circa £400.

I have a SRI I'll be selling soon but you have to relocate the battery which puts some people off as it's added expense for a relocation kit. It's a good compromise between colder air from the wheel well via a feed pipe but high enough not to risk water ingress. It also has a heat shield enclosure to help reduce heat soak but it's a fair way out the way of the block compared with where yours is located. The J's is what I'm really after but at that price it won't be any time soon!

If you want to do it cheap though you could buy a second hand oem box and put a drop in filter in for a total of about £80. It's all I'm going back to simply because I want to quieten down cabin noise a bit from the cone element I have in there at the moment.