Integra DC5 Type R (2001) - Should I buy? (and will likely be for sale) - Advice please!

zeddyDC5

Hi All,

I'm really new to the JAP scene so please excuse my ignorance re DC5's!

I have just been offered an Integra DC5 Type R off a friend of mine who imported it here, but is back off too hong kong. Honestly, it has not used for about 5 years- just sat on his drive.

He has started and driven it up and down the road, but not driven it as such! In fact, it has done about 20km since 2017...

The car is White (the usual one for Integra DC5s), is a type R and has the red recaro interior. it has a carbon fibre bonnet and from what I think, not an aftermarket bumper which is OK, but I prefer standard...

the paint is obviously pretty dull (as it's been sat pretty much) so will need sorting (not sure if detail or respray). There is a small crack in said bumper (as it's pretty low) and the interior just really needs tidying (bolsters on seats etc are fine, but to make perfect, would need doing). checking around the car, there is no obvious rust, but being critical, some is starting to form on the passenger side arch. The brakes will obviously also need doing (discs, pad's, caliper?) as will an MOT (but I expect it to go through will little work required)

He hasn't got the history, but said in Hong King it was regularly serviced (and I believe him as he is a trustworthy guy and also the engine sounds fine and car generally looks like it was well looked after up until it was sat...)

the car itself starts perfectly fine, no weird engine noises, sounds awesome - especially from cold start! (I think it's had an aftermarket exhaust), but apparently it needs an 02 sensor.

it has done 118,000 km

it's really nice, but I have 2 kids and it's not very practical for me, so the questions are...

1. should I buy it?
2. how much do you think it is worth?
3. is it likely to cost me loads to get it back to 'good' condition?
4. Is anyone looking for an integra type R DC5 (really as a project!)? that needs TLC as I will have one for sale - potentially!

thanks in advance!
Z

PHOTO-2020-07-19-16-17-17.jpg DC5 type R that needs some TLC to make perfect (as I will have one for sale!!!)
PHOTO-2020-07-19-16-17-17.jpg
thanks in advance!
ZPHOTO-2020-07-19-16-17-16.jpg
PHOTO-2020-07-19-16-17-17.jpgPHOTO-2020-07-19-16-17-03.jpg

carl hammond

Advanced Member
All depends on price, front and rear mugen strut bars. Looks like a Mugen (or Mugen replica front bumper and bonnet from the images and what can be seen.
Without seeing it it's impossible to put a value on it tbh and if you'd like to put some work into it then it could be a good one to consider. Sell the bits you don't like and return to oem etc, mileage is quite good 73K ish and interior from the pics looks good. These are going up in value so you could use it as an investment, I will myself be looking potentially for a project one soon so if you don't and it's within a decent distance I would consider looking at it.

Carl

Lemons

Advanced Member
You don't come across as all that keen?

I think unless it's really cheap and you're doing all the work yourself and buying parts second hand, you are unlikely to make a profit. The lower end of the market is generally worth more in parts if you had the effort to break it.

There is probably a reason the owner hasn't restored it or sold it. Rust is the main thing that would put me off restoring it.

I generally don't buy into the cars as investments thing. Unless it's an expensive car to start with the margins are too low. If in 10 years an average teg doubles and is worth 20k I would have spent a fair amount maintaining it, storing it and insuring it. Then 10k isn't actually worth 10k any more due to inflation so the return is actually quite poor.

Future demand is uncertain. Not everyone has room for a collection and it might be more difficult to run a petrol car in the future. I'm not sure the DC5 will be one for America either as they got the RSX which didn't have the best of reputations.

If I'm doing it because I want to own the car and not lose too much money then fair enough.

Granty1943

Hi.
From what can be seen in the pics it might be ripe for a purchase. I have no idea what kind of a price it should be however. Im a bit tight and Iv'e have been accused of making daft offers, to get the debate started. If you are keen to take it on don't forget there's some work to be done. All the fluids have just been stagnating over the years, unless the seller has kept them refreshed. There looks to be surface rust around the engine. Have a good look at the rear wheel arches and any other nooks and crannies you can get to. It looks to have Tein shockers especially on the rears. Check to see if the rear arches have been rolled. This is where the water tends to sit. Make sure the Vtec comes in when you give it a test drive. It also has an ELM Code reader plugged in, left of the clutch pedal. If you have a Torque OBD app on your phone you might find some more codes. At least it will tell you if it's the primary or secondary 02 sensor, easy to fit but a bit pricey. Take a friend with you to have another look. Sometimes they see other things that might need attention. There's one thing for certain, if you do go for it and sort it, when you get behind the wheel and give it some poke you'll have a big smile on your face. Good luck.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
No such thing as a bad car, only a badly priced car.

Price is everything here, do you know how much he is willing to accept?

zeddyDC5

Good afternoon all,

thank you for all the responses and advice.

I did end up buying the car! I got it for what I consider a reasonable price.

it drove OK given it was sat for ages, bit needs some work.

I have been offered 4.5k for it as it is, which would make me a (small) profit... I’m considering it...!

thoughts?

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Depends how much you need the money. At that sort of price if it genuinely needs no welding (check sills and boot floor area) then you should be able to get a bit more than that.

Like is there any way of verifying that mileage any import documents etc? 118km is about 73k which is really low. Are you sure it hasn't been converted to miles for example?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Good afternoon all,

thank you for all the responses and advice.

I did end up buying the car! I got it for what I consider a reasonable price.

it drove OK given it was sat for ages, bit needs some work.

I have been offered 4.5k for it as it is, which would make me a (small) profit... I’m considering it...!

thoughts?
Well pm me some details, I love a project and if it' something I would consider I would pay that or around it and bring it back to life as I have my current car mate

Carl

Kevvyp

Hi mate ,

If you are selling , I may well be interested to!

Let me know!

Kind regards
Kev