K20A Engine

T666YPR

No ,they are DE-restricted during their Esva test.

Jap cars only do 112mph,ours go a lot quicker than that(Faster than 155mph too,though on especially long tracks and autobahns :wink: )

ricardoqld

De-restricted for the UK. Got it.
Were you serious about the kph to mph conversion, when they are imported ? Or pulling my leg ?

ricardoqld

Yeah, the road signs I already knew. Lived in Ealing (London) for a year in 97/98. Then near Durham in 02 for a few months. I wasn't sure it was a legal requirement for imported cars though.

Do they change the face of the Speedo (calibration) ? Or simply put Mph on the existing face plate ? It's an interesting question. My DC5 speedo reads to 260kph. Quite a different thing to have a speedo that reads to 260mph (416 kph.....jees...like have a Boeing turbofan under the hood) !

Aside from the little joke, there's a practical side too. If only the first third of the gauge is ever (practically used) it wouldn't be a very good conversion to mph (design wise).

I read somewhere that the Type R gauges point straight down for zero, because that's the way it is in an F1 car. Is this true ?

T666YPR

The JDM speedo only reads to 180kmph as their car is restricted

When the car comes to UK it keeps the same dials and after de-restriction a small piece of black tape is put over the letter "k"

The speedo now reads up to 180mph

(which is just enough)

About the pointers,yeah that's what they say,look smart too 8)

ricardoqld

I'm adding to my list of JDM v/s Oz Type R DC5 differences as we go along...
So far : Cams, Flywheel, Intake Manifold, Complete Exhaust, Brakes (we don't get the double piston Bremos out here), Wheels & tires (16"), ECU redline, and now the speedo..

180kph on the JDM is laughable...my miss's Toyota Camry (alias "The School Bus") reads (and goes) faster than that :)

Though I'm still not convinced the Oz DC5 Type R = the Acura RSX-s.
We get LSD in Oz, the Acura's dont,, and our compression ratio is higher I think....which if right, means even within the K20A2 engine, there seems to be differences across countries. (That's something I'm still checking out...important if ordering cams from the USA over the internet !)

What I'd really love to find out one day, is why ?? I mean, seriously, what possible divine inspiration could lead someone to conclude "we don't need 11.4 :1 compression ratio in Australia, but we want more than the 10.5:1 they have in the State's. Can we please have 11:1 ?" The differences in the Net output between the different models, seem so small in comparison to the complication (mess) created by all these different engine configurations. Particulalrly in this age of after-market mods and global internet parts sales. Makes the mind boggle.

Thanks for answering all those annoying questions dude. Gonna close this topic point now.

Cheers

R.

Adz

Advanced Member
The main reason for so many different configurations of engine, is supposed to be down to the type of fuel available in each country.. apparently 98 ron fuel is not easy to come by in Oz?.. Japs are running 100 ron, so therefore they reconfigure the engines to reliably work on Oz fuel (XXXX) :roll:
Obviously there are other more political reason for these changes, such as emssions etc.

ricardoqld

You're right about the fuel issue in Oz.
It's the explaination Honda gave (officially) when the type R DC5 was released.
The reality is that BP sell a 98, and Shell sell a 98.4 (Optimax). The other oil companies sell a premium unleaded that varies, but the very best of them seems to be a 95 (the datasheets are all on the internet). Some are so shamefully low, the only thing premium is the price.

When you venture 100km outside the capital cities, particularly inland, the support BP and Shell give to these premium products is patchy (wonderfull in some remote areas, terrible in others). And Shell have a serious supply problem with Optimax (very often they are out of stock), at least where I live anyway (Brisbane).

I saw similar fuel issues in the UK in the late 90's. Particularly when you go north, and into parts of Scotland (which was a great place for a driving holiday by the way).

But since the type R ECU is suppose to detect and compensate accordingly, it is hard to imagine (really) whether the difference between 11.0:1 and 11.4:1 compression ratios, will really avoid pre-ignition, if someone decides to put 89 octane into the tank and rev up to 8k rpm.

Some suspect that the fuel issue (as true as it is), was a convenient scape goat. The reality is that allot of expensive bells and whistles are missing (like the Bremo brakes, the wheels, and the tires), and this cost cutting was not reflected in the price tag.

But it's all ancient history now. For whatever reason the decision was made, it killed off Type R sales over the last 3 years. Making the WRX so common over here, every bloke (and his grandmother) has one. I guess if you slap a spolier kit and a big enough turbo into any family sedan, you get a fast car (not a sports car........just a fast car) :)

Funny, Honda recently released the "Euro" Accord over here. I haven't investigated enough to see if we get the real one over here, or whether they've "censored" that model too :)

Very socially compliant and aware over here. Responsible driving, and safety are a big thing. There's even a government add campaign running that suggests if you drive 1km/hr over the speed limit, you're a killer. (No bull). Never mind the guy that sits in the fast lane at 10 under the limit, frustrating everyone behind him. It's the guy that over takes him that's the killer. (The world has gone ga-ga over here).

Love to try my DC5 out on 100 RON ! Might put some additive in it sometime, and check it out.

Cheers

R.

M9 JOC

Dude you are crazy with the amount of typing you do.

Im exhausted just reading it. :D

Ah well back to "Burnout 3"
James

T666YPR

Heard some about how Oz has gone Nazi over speed issues :evil:

It's starting over here too

Some Liberals & Lefties (& the Cons etc) are like sheep when it comes to "Don't do this" kind of politics

Try living in the real world you muppets :evil:

Adz

Advanced Member
T666YPR said:
Heard some about how Oz has gone Nazi over speed issues :evil:

It's starting over here too

Starting?? How much worse do u think it will get?..
Soon we'll have cameras on every street.. and as for those feckin speed bumps which KEEP on appearing! :evil: :evil:

ricardoqld

Yeah, sadly it's way of the world.....Nazi-like, yeah, I came to similar conclusions myself :)

In most states over here they have a "reasonable" tolerance set. You've basically got +10% before they book you.

In Victoria though, the cameras are set at +3km/hr over the limit. You'll be booked for doing 103 km/hr in a 100 zone. There's been huge controversy over it.

Now here's the catch. Speedos are electronic instruments, with +/- percentage accuracy. Typically 5% on no-frills cars, like the WRX the granny down the road drives :)

So your speedo could be telling you you're doing 100, when in fact your doing 105. And then the camera gets you...

Gets worse when you start changing wheels and tyres on your car. Small differences in overall circumference, affect speedo reading......though I have to say tire wear works in your favour (tends to make the speedo read faster as the tyres get worn).

ricardoqld

Pulled the intake manifold cover and airbox off today. Then checked the workshop manual. For anyone that's interested, looks like the JDM intake manifold (4 trumptets) is fitted to K20A (JDM) and K20A2 engines (the Oz type R and the US RSX-s). K20A3 (in the manual) seems to have a more basic intake manifold design.

Also, there's a 100 kg difference between the Oz Type R, and the US RSX-s.

Does anyone know the curb weight on the JDM DC5 Type R ? Oz type R is 1180kg. US RSX-s is 1280kg.