Many running their dc5 as a daily?

jdm_sy

Many people here doing 10k+ miles a year? how do you find it? would be mostly motorway but limited to about 40-50mph and a tiny bit of town driving

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Nope, mine's a weekend slag and track car. My first one did 50k+ miles in three years, drove it everywhere. They're fine, just a little raw and lacking in toys. If you can deal with that then there's no issues.

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
Yeah, I do. Honestly it's as good if not better than any other daily car I've had (everything from mk3 Astras, to a Megane, Mondeo etc.) if you're sensible you can get 32MPG or so, they're pretty comfy to drive and sit in, and the servicing and running costs are pretty much the same as any other car.

ijlh

Advanced Member
I do, use it every day around 200 miles a week. No issues whatsoever. Love getting in to it every morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I brought my car to be a daily and for the use I have had form it I am very happy with it. I gave not used it as much as I had planned yet and so cannot really say over a whole year but this vs my DC2 for a daily is a no brainer. The DC2 is raw as hell as I was doing 156 miles a day (4-5) times a week in that for a few years and I sold it as it was too nice (mint) and too low mileage to ruin.

The DC5 is so much better as an all round car and offers great MPG, not long after buying it I went from home to Lincolnshire and back for parts and then from home to North Yorkshire and back with my partner for a weekend break and it was awesome, comfy, great on fuel and a joy to drive.

As long as they are serviced and kept running as they should be and maintained they are as said better than most cars out there on the road (especially if you seek a fun and rare daily driver)

jdm_sy

I cant get enough of the interior, hard to believe its as old as it is from the exterior too, when it came out it must of been incredible vs what else was on the market, still is too date imo

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I cant get enough of the interior, hard to believe its as old as it is from the exterior too, when it came out it must of been incredible vs what else was on the market, still is too date imo
Yeah they really are nice, basic but got enough essentials, if you want a fully loaded car then far form the one to have, but if you want something sporty, reliable, fun and rare with some luxuries then its a great car to have.

My DC2 was a 96Spec lightweight edition (so no clock, no stereo, nothing, basically a shell and engine and it was fun at first but long journeys were a nightmare so I has to install a stereo and speakers and got the clock etc from a mate who was stripping his for a track car.

The DC5 is a very good everyday all-round car which is why I brought mine :)

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
I'm the complete opposite to the above. I got mine about 2 years ago and used it daily for the first 14 months or so. It wasn't particularly bad. I just felt that, if your using it through town and traffic, it's abit jerky and the turning circle is very very poor. The ride wasn't bad at all but the city I live in has crap roads with alot of speed bumps and alot of potholes.
I wasn't really enjoying the car at that point. There wasn't much chance to open the car up or have any fun in it.

I managed to get insured on a little 1.4 Diesel Fiesta and that instantly rekindled the love for the Teg. The Fiesta was much happier tootleing around town and built up areas. I started just using the Teg for weekend driving and hoons.

Using the Teg at the quieter times whilst using a more normal car in the week was a godsend for me because it allowed me to fully appreciate the car from then on out.

I'm someone who prefers a daily and then a special car you can use as and when :). It's also much easier to keep clean haha.

Some good insights on this thread though!

jdm_sy

unfortunately where I live if i left the teg at home while I went to work, it wouldnt be there when I got home :xtsk:

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
I'm the complete opposite to the above. I got mine about 2 years ago and used it daily for the first 14 months or so. It wasn't particularly bad. I just felt that, if your using it through town and traffic, it's abit jerky and the turning circle is very very poor. The ride wasn't bad at all but the city I live in has crap roads with alot of speed bumps and alot of potholes.
I wasn't really enjoying the car at that point. There wasn't much chance to open the car up or have any fun in it.

I managed to get insured on a little 1.4 Diesel Fiesta and that instantly rekindled the love for the Teg. The Fiesta was much happier tootleing around town and built up areas. I started just using the Teg for weekend driving and hoons.

Using the Teg at the quieter times whilst using a more normal car in the week was a godsend for me because it allowed me to fully appreciate the car from then on out.

I'm someone who prefers a daily and then a special car you can use as and when :). It's also much easier to keep clean haha.

Some good insights on this thread though!
Luckily I have nice roads round me and I work 15 mins walk from home so no need to drive daily, so I guess mine like yours is a weekend car, but saying that I have covered about 1.2K since Sept so maybe not the best to say as my journeys (with the above two exceptions mentioned in a prev post) have been short and sweet lol

carl hammond

Advanced Member
jdm_sy said:
unfortunately where I live if i left the teg at home while I went to work, it wouldnt be there when I got home :xtsk:
This is bad news lol.. Where do you live?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Luckily I have nice roads round me and I work 15 mins walk from home so no need to drive daily, so I guess mine like yours is a weekend car, but saying that I have covered about 1.2K since Sept so maybe not the best to say as my journeys bar the mentioned in a prev post have been short and sweet lol
Think you've hit the nail on the head Carl.

Definitely depends on situation and location. If I was a nice drive I'd be happy to daily the Teg!

But I found that I was literally queuing everywhere and it was no fun. Additionally costs me a small fortune in cleaning products 😂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Think you've hit the nail on the head Carl.

Definitely depends on situation and location. If I was a nice drive I'd be happy to daily the Teg!

But I found that I was literally queuing everywhere and it was no fun. Additionally costs me a small fortune in cleaning products

Yeah mines overly cleaned as the other half regularly moans at me about.... Traffic 100% with you on that one, not the biggest fan of it in the Teg, but then again not a fan in any car, but at least some other cars offer a lot more comfort for such situations

Country roads, windy twisty roads etc a great car, busy city or town, no thanks

PS, forgot to say I am on stock suspension at the moment, spoon springs, adjustable arms etc all to go on in May so my views may change a little then lol

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Yeah mines overly cleaned as the other half regularly moans at me about.... Traffic 100% with you on that one, not the biggest fan of it in the Teg, but then again not a fan in any car, but at least some other cars offer a lot more comfort for such situations

Country roads, windy twisty roads etc a great car, busy city or town, no thanks
Spot on mate! I know those cleaning feels 😂

carl hammond

Advanced Member
If the car was at that much risk I would not bother tbh as I would be worried too much, my area is private and all camera'd up with private security driving about 24/7 so hardly any crime here at all and 90% rich folk with too much money and nice cars (Lambo's GTR's, Ferrari's etc), the very very Hi Spec R33 GTR V-Spec I had was frowned upon, now I have a CW DC5 with a full DC system lol, neighbours love it when the thing gets started for the first time in weeks early morning...

jdm_sy

we found a couple of guys half into my neighbours evo with the window smashed about 6 months ago, they legged it when we came out :xaiweb5:

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Id be more concerned about insurance and where its going to be kept rather than a daily :/ lol Surely at night its most vulnerable? Not during the day, or is it really that bad? Be prepared to expect the worst. And enjoy driving it whilst you can if ots that bad. Haha i jest.

I used mine daily for over 4 years with no complaints, although i now have to agree wih Chrismartins comment.... I found i was spending a fortune on refreshing bits due to bad roads, and in the end i spent less on a beaten up toyota than a set of front shocks for the Teg. Haha for that moment on, the daily car really has been a godsend, and has meant ican enjoy the teg more when it does get driven, but it's also put my mind at rest with little noises etc. I was a bugger for always trying to find fault with it, the misses though i was mad as she couldn't hear anything....drove me mad on times. Now I know its all part of the cars character, those little vibrations etc and i can cope with it knowing it's tucked up in the dry while the daily gets a thrashing. Haha

The other thing to note is in driving a slower car all the time, the Teg feels like a rocket when i get in it now, a real occasion. Rather than worrying about car parking, traffic and commuting in general. Which after 4 years did have there trying times, especially through the winter, cleaning in the dark etc haha all I wanted to do was make it faster and failed to appreciate what i had already using it daily.

But yeah it can be done. :)