Many running their dc5 as a daily?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Absolutely screw living somewhere where I would be worried about a car I owned being at home when I'm not. I would move house.

SmudgerByName

Advanced Member
Daily Driven here, Fuck the neighbours with my 5am starts. I have fitted a silencer to the N1 system mostly for the Mrs and track limits. Stripped out. 2 seats and still a daily driver. Then again before the DC5 I used to daily a Sierra Cosworth

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Id be more concerned about insurance and where its going to be kept rather than a daily :/ lol Surely at night its most vulnerable? Not during the day, or is it really that bad? Be prepared to expect the worst. And enjoy driving it whilst you can if ots that bad. Haha i jest.

I used mine daily for over 4 years with no complaints, although i now have to agree wih Chrismartins comment.... I found i was spending a fortune on refreshing bits due to bad roads, and in the end i spent less on a beaten up toyota than a set of front shocks for the Teg. Haha for that moment on, the daily car really has been a godsend, and has meant ican enjoy the teg more when it does get driven, but it's also put my mind at rest with little noises etc. I was a bugger for always trying to find fault with it, the misses though i was mad as she couldn't hear anything....drove me mad on times. Now I know its all part of the cars character, those little vibrations etc and i can cope with it knowing it's tucked up in the dry while the daily gets a thrashing. Haha

The other thing to note is in driving a slower car all the time, the Teg feels like a rocket when i get in it now, a real occasion. Rather than worrying about car parking, traffic and commuting in general. Which after 4 years did have there trying times, especially through the winter, cleaning in the dark etc haha all I wanted to do was make it faster and failed to appreciate what i had already using it daily.

But yeah it can be done. :)
Spot on James!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jdm_sy

im planning to move in the near future tbh! it'l be securely locked with an access gate at work in the day and it will be also securely locked at home aswell.
not to say that there arent chancers around tho

phillll

Advanced Member
Yep, driven to work and back every day.
It's not far and it's mostly country lanes.

My last three daily cars have been an EP3, Nissan S15 and the DC5, haha.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Using mine as a daily and no gripes other than being at just over 3.5k revs at 70.

Has anyone changed over to an EP3 6th gear with the stock final drive? If so what was the improvement in mpg like and revs at 70? Guessing it will drop to about 3k....

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
Mine gets used daily it can grate occasionally but most of the time I enjoy it 👍🏻

MrRy

Advanced Member
Drive it everyday, just put over 1000 miles on it in the past week actually driving through the highlands so it's now tipped over to 62k.

spooke

Advanced Member
Bought mine with 44k miles now at 57k. Still smile everytime I get in it, yes I'd love a daily but honestly I'd rather enjoy driving it now as who knows what is going to happen in the coming years - plus it's not a Ferrari :D

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Daily and for running around at work.

I bought the car to drive, not to just take it out the garage at weekend and polish it. Yes its going to depreciate with the amount of miles i stick on it but I didn't buy it as an investment. Plus life is short as I have been reminded several times in recent years.

It still puts a smile on my face each time I see her on the drive. Makes going to work a bit easier ;)

FireDance

Advanced Member
Bought my blue one as a daily car & was doing 500 miles a week (yes really). Used that car as a daily for 10 months until I changed jobs & bought a red one.
Red one was used as a daily until my dog got poorly & I needed an estate car with ramp so she could get in & out which made it easier for vet trips (never put her in the DC5). Will be using the DC5 as a daily again in April. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Not using it as a daily makes it feel more special when I do drive it :xgrin:

MaxMacGechan

I use mine as a daily driver, based down in Bournemouth but head up to London when working. Use it a lot for motorways as well as driving round the city if and when I have to go into London. As others have said, it's not the best for traffic but it's really not that bad either, and at the front of any set of traffic lights I'm always the first away so that's good.

I seem to average between 32mpg-35mpg, once got 29mpg when driving around the city for a full week with a lot of hard acceleration but compared to other cars with similar power I've found it to be the most efficient.

As well as that, I surf and BMX and always throwing those into the car and has an immense boot space for it. Managed to get x2 8ft surfboards inside the car when going for a surf with the missus as well down to cornwall. She had to sit in the back behind me but is was nice as I got a good bit of peace and quiet for the journey too.

Can't recommend it enough as a daily driver!

gurrik

I think it depends where you live ... I live in Devon and as a daily it's great. Drive sensibly I've gotten 44mpg. When i visit friends in London can definitely see the uselessness of it. So much traffic and potholes/bumps

But for me daily use in Devon it's great. Big boot, quiet when crushing and as I've upgraded the sound system can't hear any exhaust/induction noise when motorway cruising. Love it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Quick question for some of you, the likes of Jimmer in particular.

Are your two cars taxed all year round, or is the Teg SORN'd at various points throughout the year? In other words, is it off the road over the Winter and taxed the rest of the year?

If/when I get back into the position to get another car I am thinking about running two, a daily which I've already got (The Fabia) and a Teg or something else as a second car but overall running costs would be a concern.

I'm in much better paying job now luckily but I still think running two cars would be a challenge.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
gurrik said:
I think it depends where you live ... I live in Devon and as a daily it's great. Drive sensibly I've gotten 44mpg. When i visit friends in London can definitely see the uselessness of it. So much traffic and potholes/bumps

But for me daily use in Devon it's great. Big boot, quiet when crushing and as I've upgraded the sound system can't hear any exhaust/induction noise when motorway cruising. Love it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Top comment on this thread by far. Everyone's situation is different

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I've got two cars, both are taxed all year round. I'm too lazy to SORN the Teg, plus it's nice to take out now and then.

I have put around 3500 miles on mine, got my Teggy in November. 50% of my mileage are airport runs to Heathrow and going away to see friends. The boot is surprisingly big and it is very good for airport runs with my folks. Previous owner ran it as a daily in Japan by the looks of it (mine arrived with 83k on the clock). I am lucky that I work from home and it only goes out on Thursdays and weekends.

Kellsled

Advanced Member
I don't even drive mine in the rain so a daily is a no go for me :/ fresh import 2 years ago and I've put around 300 miles on it since haha I use a Honda Jazz as my daily, great car. I used to daily my Jordan and dc2 for a little while but with buckets and cage they didn't last long. Mines a solely weekend car for summer appreciate it more that way I think

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
Kellsled said:
I don't even drive mine in the rain so a daily is a no go for me :/ fresh import 2 years ago and I've put around 300 miles on it since haha I use a Honda Jazz as my daily, great car. I used to daily my Jordan and dc2 for a little while but with buckets and cage they didn't last long. Mines a solely weekend car for summer appreciate it more that way I think
wise up would ye

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Didn't buy mine not to drive it. Shop runs, school runs, odd commute and b road blasts. Then track days whenever possible.

That's the whole point of the car for me, I can use it as a normal everyday motor, with minimal maintenance, turn up at a track without much prep, give it hell all day, pop to tesco on the way home.

I've done over 500,000 miles in many type R cars over the last 15 years, all used the same way, all been looked after the same way, and non have ever had any issues (over and above normal age related stuff).

Drive it. Don't look at it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk