Many running their dc5 as a daily?

Indi

Advanced Member
Haha I was tempted by an FN2 tbh like you said Chris a few more toys and the dashboard etc, it's just a better place to be in day to day, but I do really enjoy a well sorted EP3, this is my 4th EP3. It is very hard finding a good example these days like you said but good ones can be found if you take your time.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Haha, it would be kept standard mate. Although I did think if I got one, then I could put my DC5 diff in it, and the seats, and maybe upgrade the speakers. It never ends!

But I wouldn't mod it to be honest mate, all money for that would go on the Teg. Nice standard FN2 to run around in.

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
I had an fn2 for about 2-3 weeks and hated it 😂

Just didn't feel like a type r should

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
I would love to not daily mine tbh but I don't understand the logistics of having 2 cars, because that's 2 insurances and 2 sets of all the other bills, or is it just that I'm poor compared to everyone else? 😂

I do love driving it daily but as has been said before my commute is crap, slowly crawling along for 30 miles a day and the teg is wasted on that! A recent blip around the new forest made me appreciate what it should be for, and just how much fun it can be!

Indi

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Haha, it would be kept standard mate. Although I did think if I got one, then I could put my DC5 diff in it, and the seats, and maybe upgrade the speakers. It never ends!

But I wouldn't mod it to be honest mate, all money for that would go on the Teg. Nice standard FN2 to run around in.
Haha similar idea to me, my main aim was to put the lsd out of the DC5 into my EP3 but once it was taken out and identified to be a wavetrac I decided against it as it was worth a lot more than OEM lsd and to be honest I'd rather spend that money on the DC5.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I had an fn2 for about 2-3 weeks and hated it

Just didn't feel like a type r should
An ex had one, it was no DC5 but still nice to drive plus a more modern interior. What about it didn't you like?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
An ex had one, it was no DC5 but still nice to drive plus a more modern interior. What about it didn't you like?
I feel the same, a mate had a Black GT one and it's a nice place to be, by far raw but as a day to day reasonably cheap nippy little car a great one and with all the little extras (like heated and cooling glove box a really nice normal(ish) car.

Another mate has the CW edition so had the LSD etc and that's an all round better car out of the two but still not raw enough imo for those who want the true type R feel from a car.

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
It just didn't feel like a type r should feel and the ride was atrocious (i had the 19" rage wheels)I don't mind firm ride as long as it translates into a good handling car but the fnpoo just didn't handle well

All my opinion of course 👍🏻

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
DC5Noob said:
I would love to not daily mine tbh but I don't understand the logistics of having 2 cars, because that's 2 insurances and 2 sets of all the other bills, or is it just that I'm poor compared to everyone else? 😂
Not atall, im by no means rich. Lol I just sacrificed some money set aside for the teg, and for under £700 i bought a car, tax and insurance. :) I spent £800 on new suspension components the year before that for the front of the teg alone, an with the cheaper running costs the difference in fuel has paid for itself. Bought a Toyota so I don't have to worry too much, but this two bills stuff isn't all that bad. You only pay for which ever one you use really. Yes its two MOT's but I don't have to worry about the teg failing any time soon, and also the tax. If you want to use one or the other the option to tax as you go is there, but i pay tax on both anyway as if i need to the option is there for me to hop in either straight away. Thats an expense I can live with. :)

Its not like they are both being driven at the same time, and as said previously, it down reduce the fuel bill which over a few months does save a couple hundred squids. £30 to fill and gain 300miles as apposed to £60 for the same,....soon adds up. So again, money saved there pays the tax for the other. Its all now cancelled itself out really. Haha

Suppose age is on my side. I imagine insurance would be a pain for younger drivers trying to get two.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I have an fn2 and it's a great little car! It handles well and has tonnes of grip, as well as being a very nice place to be! Mine has the chilled/heated glovebox, SatNav, handfree phone, folding mirrors, reverse camera, etc. I agree, this goes against the type-r ethos, but so does the fk2 and I wouldn't turn one of them down!
My only problem is you see a few about and it's no head turner.
Mine has 17s and an LSD which changes things a little:

I also have a Citroen C1 for knocking about in. It cost me £1500 and apart from the initial outlay it actually saves me money! I have a multicar insurance policy which is very reasonable, £20 a year tax, £35 a tank which covers 400 miles! This gets used for my 4 mile trip to work and back, popping to the shop, gym, etc. When I go further afield or want some fun I take the civic.

So, if you're a bufty or a driver or somewhere in between, each to their own and whatever floats ya boat ;)

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Not atall, im by no means rich. Lol I just sacrificed some money set aside for the teg, and for under £700 i bought a car, tax and insurance. :) I spent £800 on new suspension components the year before that for the front of the teg alone, an with the cheaper running costs the difference in fuel has paid for itself. Bought a Toyota so I don't have to worry too much, but this two bills stuff isn't all that bad. You only pay for which ever one you use really. Yes its two MOT's but I don't have to worry about the teg failing any time soon, and also the tax. If you want to use one or the other the option to tax as you go is there, but i pay tax on both anyway as if i need to the option is there for me to hop in either straight away. Thats an expense I can live with. :)

Its not like they are both being driven at the same time, and as said previously, it down reduce the fuel bill which over a few months does save a couple hundred squids. £30 to fill and gain 300miles as apposed to £60 for the same,....soon adds up. So again, money saved there pays the tax for the other. Its all now cancelled itself out really. Haha

Suppose age is on my side. I imagine insurance would be a pain for younger drivers trying to get two.
I think its the insurance killing me, so would have to wait a couple years to be able to counter this as not been driving all that long!

Other wise what you have said makes perfect sense in that it would save a shed load of money on fuel!

I'm in the middle with regards to peoples opinions tho because I would love to keep it shiney but I also love to drive it! OP it is totally down to what you want and your personal circumstances.

DC5Noob said:
I think its the insurance killing me, so would have to wait a couple years to be able to counter this as not been driving all that long!

Other wise what you have said makes perfect sense in that it would save a shed load of money on fuel!

I'm in the middle with regards to peoples opinions tho because I would love to keep it shiney but I also love to drive it! OP it is totally down to what you want and your personal circumstances.
I am paying £800 for mine, this is my first year of Teggy ownership. Still it makes me happy to be able to drive it and work hard everyday so that I can feed it. Could have ran my old EJ Civic alongside it but there was no point because of two insurance bills and the flaff with NCBs.

p1tse

Advanced Member
I use mine as a daily, a reason why I bought it was wanted something fun, wouldn't cost the earth to run and can fit two kids and wife in when needed.

Albeit I don't do big mileage, but if I had to do say 50 miles a day I don't think I'll like to use it as a daily and would prefer to rack up the miles on something cheap and cheerful or a mile muncher cruiser refinement.

As above each persons choices and circumstances are different. This is what makes the dc5 appeal to a range of people in a niche market as you get those who have theirs as a trophy cabinet, show and shine, factory fresh finisher to those who can just run it as a daily hack as a van to those who are looking for track day focus; then you get the mix.

Good luck

joiner

Advanced Member
Mines solely a shelf queen and weekend car when it eventually gets finished that is. Live and let live I say, everyone has different ideas, me personally, I was fed up of the wife kerbing my alloys and kicking the door trim etc and with two kids it was a constant struggle to keep it clean. Hence the DC5, her arse will never kiss the Recaro's, likewise she will never get to drive it, she has her car to wreck. Wife's will never realise how much it hurts a man when you go out to wash your car and discovers heavy kerb mark half way around the rim then promptly tell you that it wasn't me!!!!

Here's our daily, had her 4 years and love it and a very rare 2.4 petrol,

Here's my project to date, since pics it's been stripped again for going to paint

This is how she looks just now

2 years and this is as far as I have got, one day it will be finished

Max77

Advanced Member
I used mine as a daily for around a year, at the start every time getting in it was an occasion felt really special but towards the end got a bit tiring using it to travel to and from work every day.

I now only use the car on track and every time I use it I fall in love with it all over again.

p1tse

Advanced Member
@ joiner, that is amazing. I've seen some amazing builds on here but that is to a different level!!

kazmo

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
@ joiner, that is amazing. I've seen some amazing builds on here but that is to a different level!!
good as it is, whats the point if its never driven