Meguiars VS Werkstat part 2 (on Arctic Blue)

coolerking

Advanced Member
Best of show will crap all over werkstat on blue, should compare it to the werkstat carnuba range imo

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Best of show will crap all over werkstat on blue, should compare it to the werkstat carnuba range imo

So I can waste another £40 quid on another one of your poor recommendations... :blink:

I used meguiars to begin with, then reading all the professional's write ups none of them used them as LSP, I tried what they were using and when polisedbliss recommended werkstat for white, it was better than anything I had used by anyone, if its good enough for them its good enough for me, thats the attitude I take, durability and cost dont bother me to an extent its the finished look that convinces me
Yeah, that worked... not.. I believed you too until I did my test... lol, wont again, sorry.

coolerking

Advanced Member
Yeah and the finished look was better,

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280650

There you go mate, theres someome looking for an alternative to werkstat, out of the 3 pages of replies, no ones came up with megs ultimate compound yet, i know i can hardly believe it myself

Anyway theres your chance to chip in with megs ultimate compound, im sure they dont kmow about their heritage, maybe you can post up a picture of the bottle? And a link?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Why would I recommend ultimate Compound to protect the paint? especially to a dedicated detailing FORUM?? Dude, you are seriously not reading anything I have written, lol.....

I said in my write up......
Why did I do that? Well I wanted to prove a point here, a wax/sealant is only ever as good as your Clear Coat and underlying paint, after all that's all you are working on. Once you have a stunning clear coat free of defects and oxidisation (or had a respray!), you want to be protecting it and sealing it in with a wax or a sealant of your choice.
You just clearly are not reading anything I have written and instead are stuck in your own mindset that I'm against Werkstat.

Like I said, YOU NEED THE WAX/SEALANT TO PROTECT IT, lol.

Your comments make no sense to me or some others, seriously. Rather than have it in your head I am against Werkstat go back and read it again... or try to pick more pointless holes that wont get you anywhere.... up to you.

The whole point is that your paintwork/clear coat determines how much reflection you can achieve. This moral to the story clearly went over your head and you went on some sort of Werkstat defensive.

chiefpulsar

Advanced Member
Surely different waxes work better with some colours and not others? judging purely from the pics i'd prob go with megs as i have an arctic blue 5, but then if i found a different product that worked better than megs i'd start using that!!

Anyway good right up Ian

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Surely different waxes work better with some colours and not others? judging purely from the pics i'd prob go with megs as i have an arctic blue 5, but then if i found a different product that worked better than megs i'd start using that!!

Anyway good right up Ian
Some waxes contain pigments, like the turtle wax colour magic stuff I used to use, but then the shine isn't as great because the wax isn't as optically clear as say a clear sealant (because of the added colour pigment)

A wax without a colour pigment will tend to give a better depth of shine (because you can see through it better). Both Werkstat and Meguiars in my tests here aren't clear waxes/sealants (which is why they are identically reflection wise).

Putting a red pigment wax on your white car for example isn't exactly common sense.

I myself am being told there is a lot better than Meguiars out there, so I am going out my way to investigate this claim, so far, all I have found is that the ones I have been recommended to test, give IDENTICAL results regardless of how hard or easy they are to remove.

Nice Q&A here from Dodo Juice website about Waxes and Sealants :)

http://www.dodojuice...the-basics.html
What is a sealant and how does it differ from a wax?
A sealant is the name given to a synthetic acrylic, or polymer, wax-type product. These are man made, like nylon (compared to something natural, like cotton). Carnauba and beeswax are great natural products, but human beings love to fiddle and these synthetic waxes have a more regimented molecular structure giving them the potential to be stronger and more durable. The irony is that a decent carnauba wax can often outlast a poor sealant, and some people think their shine is a little cold or clinical compared to the warmth of a carnauba wax. But the technology is interesting and they are good products. Like waxes, there are good ones and bad ones. Some take longer to cure and are a bit fussy in terms of prep, expecially compared to more natural waxes. And remember, there is really no point in having a product that lasts over 6 months, because cars generally benefit from a good claying and decontamination every quarter (if used every day and left outside in a built-up area). Washing can only keep a coating somewhat clean. It's the equivalent of changing your underpants once a week instead of once a day.
Sealants more fussy to prep... so NOT just me then, lol. Even Dodo Juice say it.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
I can guarantee that if someone fully detailed their car properly with meguiars and someone else parked the same colour car next to it fully detailed, nobody it their right mind would be able to tell the difference (As shown in Ians photos). And to be honest I doubt if anyone in their right mind would actually care! As long as the car looks good and the products you work with are as hassle free as possible then everything else is down to personal preference.

I use Meguiars on my car for three reasons:

1. The Ultimate compound and cleaner wax I use are both easy to apply and easy to remove so it takes less time to detail the car.
2. The price is reasonable. Always buy my stuff from Halfords with their 3 for 2 deal. No way would I ever spend hundreds of pounds on wax, Just not my thing!
3. The products all smell nice! This is actually the main reason. Would rather sit all day cleaning a car with a nice smell of grapes rather than getting high on chemicals

I do however user the Auto Glym tar spot remover because it just seems to work better :p (Even though it smells like crap!)

Matt.

PS. Sounds like the competition is going to be fierce at next years Japfest show and shine :)

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
PPS. My car is currently coated with Natures best ever sealant. It blocks 100% of the Suns UV rays.

It's called MUD!!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Ha ha, Well said Matt...

The smell is a very good point! Really does make a product a pleasure to work with.
And the Application and Removal is key for a quick detail.

I will be comparing Swissvax against Werkstat soon, lol.....
Hopefully end these comparisons then and the general pay more get more shine with a wax myth.

dave c

400hp K20
to be fair I normally use meg's too, I did use that autoglym HD stuff most recently and was very impressed! Saying that I'm usually very impressed every time I use wax on my car :)

kingston

Advanced Member
I do NOT work for Meguiars, and I am not trying to convert you to their products.

:xgrin: :xgrin: :xgrin: :xgrin:

Only trouble with this test is that youve worked on this bonnet in the past though when its been off the car, or did you strip it all down or just rely on UC to do that for you?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
AH HA HA! James..... Me and my mate use that saying ALL the time! Always cracks me up! Classic :D

Bonnet been off the car for years, but the UC completely strips off any wax left over. Can tell when you have no wax on the paint it goes super squeaky clean.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I really like megs stuff but that's coz I can't be arsed to search for anything else haha

But personally I think these tests should have been done on something that hasn't already got a unblemished paint job, and then check the results after application.

All the same good right up..... You have too much time on your hands lol ;)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Ha ha no I totally agree there Lee, but that's exactly the point here, the wax will only be as good as the condition of what you are working on at the end of the day.

Looking forward to my Swissvax sample, lol

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
I personally don't really search for anything else to keep my car clean and looking tidy. Like Matt - the 3 for 2 deals in Halfords is a steel with the Meg's. I guess it comes down to Retail Promotions on the products. I've not used anything else other than Meg's apart from a bit of Autoglym Polish now and there and the smell of the Meg products is another thing I like about them.

If I was given products to try, I think I would but I won't go around searching around for the "best" product.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own preferences. :)

Mark_teg

Staff member
Interesting thread again porthos :)

Like I said before, I haven't tried the werkstat. I have tried swissvax, albeit the 'onyx' not the BOS. I really liked the onyx and smells really good too, reminds me of solero ice lollies! :)

Again, when you test the swissvax I don't expect to see any major reflection/depth differences. I found the difference (as it maybe with the werkstat) the level of protection afterwards and the ease/difficulty in application (slightly more difficult in your case).
Though ironically the onyx is not recommended for winter protection!..

Sorry if I've gone off on a tangent here. I'm not having a dig either mate. I assume Adam is testing the durability on his bonnet :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Interesting thread again porthos :)

Like I said before, I haven't tried the werkstat. I have tried swissvax, albeit the 'onyx' not the BOS. I really liked the onyx and smells really good too, reminds me of solero ice lollies! :)

Again, when you test the swissvax I don't expect to see any major reflection/depth differences. I found the difference (as it maybe with the werkstat) the level of protection afterwards and the ease/difficulty in application (slightly more difficult in your case).
Though ironically the onyx is not recommended for winter protection!..

Sorry if I've gone off on a tangent here. I'm not having a dig either mate. I assume Adam is testing the durability on his bonnet :)
Not a tangent at all mate, I completely understand the longevity thing, but a lot of us wax the cars more often than the wax has had time to completely degrade, even a Natural wax can last up to 2 months. (3 - 8 weeks apparently) and I think we all wash our cars and wax long before then.
So the longevity thing is a bit pointless. But yeah, Adam is currently keeping track of it for me, lol.

I will get you a few samples made up iain of a few waxes.
Oh really!?