Meister R Coilovers

Mark_teg

Staff member
Meister R coilovers.
Anybody have these on their Teg?
They seem to be getting good reports on other cars and seem a bargain at £579 (TRO members).

I currently have Eibach springs/standard dampers but have lost some faith in them recently, (found play in nearside shock).

Would also like some flexibilty (adjustable height and damping) so I can have a 'comfyish' day-to-day ride but stiffen them when I feel the need / eventually do a track day :oops:
The Meister R spring rates for the Teg are 10kg F&R but for the EP3 are 8kg front, 10kg rear. This worries me a tad, hence why Im after a Teg owner's opinion.
Here's a link:
http://www.meisterr.com/Site/Honda_Integra_DC5.html

The other coilovers I looked at are the Eibach Pro street which is only height adjustable I believe, for twice the price..

Thoughts and opinions appreciated :xcheers:

Andy.

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
They seem to be getting good reports on other cars
I've noticed this too, across a good few forums (Skyline, Silvia, various Honda etc).

It'll be interesting to see how they hold up long-term.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
They look ok, you wont be able to adjust the height without affecting the geo and spring preload though,
remember you get what you pay for

the only thing that bothers me a bit is there is a p.o box as an adress and a mobile number for the contact.

Mark_teg

Staff member
C&S Evo7 said:
They look ok, you wont be able to adjust the height without affecting the geo and spring preload though,
remember you get what you pay for
I agree, you get what you pay for, but I am tempted by these.
So you'd prefer the Eibach Pro Street over them?
Also, I thought the collar (arrowed) allows height adjustment without affecting spring pre-load & geo?

C&S Evo7 said:
the only thing that bothers me a bit is there is a p.o box as an adress and a mobile number for the contact.
I would never even noticed that :lol: Like I say, they seem to be getting good reports and are a TRO trader..

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yep the collar will allow adjustment of height without affecting the preload, it will affect the geo though. i missed the collars on the weblink. :oops:

if you are only using them for road then the eibachs were very good and gave a nice ride, however dont offer any adjustment (other than preload/height) BUT were good quality, stainless steel legs and long warranty.

I think they are from Taiwan, like the D2 Range, which have a bigger and better reputation in the states, If your looking for a low cost good value for money solution Japshop sell them for £595 inc vat and we get 10% Forum discount.. :idea: It wouldnt surprise me if they were made with the same components,they certainly look the same.

I would consider dealing with an upfront warehopuse like Japshop ,(not p.o. boxes and mobile phones), D2 are Fully warrantied for 12 months and Japshop keep ALL warranty parts in stock like even full strut bodies and they swap them out without question if they have any manufacturing problem.They even sell spare parts like strut bodies,spring rate options,pillowballs,locking rings and collars,spring seat bearings and everything you will ever need when you neglect them over winter and the threads seize up :lol: :lol: Our race workshop is in the same building as Japshop stock and Guy told me they have sold 1000s of sets of D2 and only ever had 3 warranty issues.

Check ALL these benefits out before you buy any imported products... Its always the bad news story and lack of guarenteed back up that worries me about imported products from bedroom style suspect sources.

I am sure some members on here have had import nightmares from forum or mobile phone dealers, where they dont answer your calls when you have an issue ,I have seen the posts myself =; its your risk :xcry:

Their not asking you to pay by paypal as well are they :roll: :roll:

Andy.

Advanced Member
As for where the Meister coilovers are made, i don't know and won't assume thier origins without knowing more about it. However, i do know that the chap behind them is very much available to speak to about the product and i'm sure would be happy to answer any queries; he is more than helpful on the forums i have seen him posting on and goes under by the name of Jerrick on gtr.co.uk and skylineowners.co.uk (where he is also an approved forum trader). From what i can gather, he has been a long time member on the Skyline forums long before he even started on his business venture and seems well respected, for what it's worth.

I think the fact that the correspondance is through mobile/P.O box is simply due to the fact that he IS Meister R, although i could be wrong about this...

R.E the D2s, i've read plenty of forum posts over the years stating that they are budget coilovers made with budget parts and as such have a crashy ride and very often leak whilst still relatively new. I honestly don't see why the Meister R's don't deserve a chance to see how they hold up over a prolonged period and to see what level of customer service they/he can provide before they're written off as a poor product. I have read a number of good reviews from Meister R owners, including some who beat the crap out of them in drifting events on their Silvias.

Just my opinion formed from what i've seen across a few owners forums. And i really am as sceptical as anyone when it comes to new, unproven products like this but it seems unfair to not give them a chance :)

Grunty

Advanced Member
The D2 comment above surprised me quite a bit. I have had a set and they were pathetic, very crashy, poorly made and started leaking when they were just under a year old. Pretty much every comment I have ever read about them has been negative.

The meisters on the other hand seem to have nothing but good reviews and i was considering them for my car, but I bought a house and can hardly afford food anymore! :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
As with most stuff you will get what you pay for, to be able to sell these at this price the buying cost must be at least 20% lower and the manufacturing cost probably 30+% lower again. So what would you really expect to get from a set of £300 coilovers???

D2 are just another example of this type of coilover as are the Ksports ,(were/are almost identical to D2) BC coilovers (NOT Buddy Club) and Im sure the Meister R's too. They will all be made in Taiwan/China using a similar std pattern damper and cheap components and wont have been specifically vehicle tested . At least Paul and Japshop will give some decent backup. While the guy at Meister R has a nice website and is known on some other forums i am sure he is just another trader from home, in my experience on this forum everything is fine when things are going well with them but as soon as theres a problem you are usually left high and dry. This may not be the case as i dont know the guy but it has happened on more than one occasion.

while at the MLR sprint at Teeside the other week one of the guys using BC coilovers, straightlined a small chicane which resulted in riding the kerbing , as he went over the first kerb the front left coilover snapped off clean above the mounting bolts resulting in him plowing through the next corner and into the armco, the kerb was no more aggressive than a big pothole would have been, as he said can you imagine if this had happened on the road???
He is a very experienced driver and car builder and might have expected a seal to go but not the leg to snap.

here is a pic of the result-

TommyDC5

I have MeisterR coilovers on my S2000 and I am very pleased with them.
I previously had HKS hypermax on my DC5 and Tein Superstreet on my EP but the MeisterR's are my favourite.
They do not feel crashy at all and after a geo setup my S2000 handles insanely!

MeisterR

Hello Everyone... My name is Jerrick and I am from MeisterR. :)
Right, this thread has been brought to my attention so I think it is only fair that I come in and provide some information about MeisterR and its products.

First, lets look at several things regarding MeisterR:

1. I am not a huge company admittedly, but at the same time I do not advertise on the back cover of every Japanese Tuning Magazine, have a few super expensive demo race car, or a £20,000 promotional racing budget per year.
I do things sample... make sure the products is good, make sure the service is good, and keep the overhead low.
But I am VAT Registered (995 0608 86) and I am also a HSBC Merchant so I am happy to take all major form of credit / debit cards. :)

2. Regarding the MeisterR Zeta-R Coilovers... we actually done quite a bit of work specifically for the EP3 / DC5 chassis.
We specifically design our coilovers for UK fast road use... this is because most coilovers you find that are off the shelf are valved for the manufacturer's largest market, and this normally is either USA or Japan.
Because of the road condition and the customers preference of USA or Japan, what you will find is that the dampers most of the time is over dampened.
This is fine if you are driving on flat roads, on tracks, or attending Auto-X, but it isn't very nice when your car is skipping around on our UK uneven B-Road surfaces.
We look at "Compliancy" as the keyword in suspension design... The suspension need "movement" it to work, the comfort that comes with it is the icing on the cake.
You want to have some body roll movement that are smooth and controlled... this is our philosophy and how we design the our Zeta-S / Zeta-R Range of coilovers.

Other development we had made that are more specific for the DC5 chassis:

*The "Straight" Steering Arms are one of the best feature.
If you look at the pictures of the Zeta-R above, you will notice the arms are not the standard "V-Shape".
One of the biggest problem for DC5 owners using coilovers is the fact that lowering the ride height will put the steering arms at an odd angle, and thus putting pressure on the track rod end.
This can cause the track rod end to fail prematurely... but you can fix this issue by paying for an inverted track rod end kit.

What we decided was if you are going to lower the ride height with coilovers for sure, why not just relocate the track rod end right away? Common Sense really.
So we designed this "Straight" steering arms that relocate the track rod end to a lower position than standard.
What this mean is when you lower your ride height, the steering arms will now go back to an angle that is similar to standard and thus taking the stress off the track rod end.

This prevent the track rod end from failing prematurely due to the stress, and also reduce bump steers.
The best of all, it is all free and you don't have to spend another £200 to get inverted track rod end kit.

*A new "roller" bearing springs cap.
This allows the springs to turn freely within its perch meaning you will no longer get any coil binding noise when turning your wheel during low speed or standstill... not really performance based but it is annoying problem for a road car with MacPherson Strut Coilovers. :)

A new redesigned rear suspension setup.
One of the biggest issue of the EP3 / DC5 chassis is the rear damper setup.
Because of the odd shape top mount, it mean it is very hard to lower the rear end because the standard damper is very short already.
What we done is redesigned the rear specification and I am happy to know that so far, i don't have any one complaining the rear not going low enough.
But the best of all is that we kept the rear a true "Dual Perch" setup meaning you can still adjust your ride height without changing your springs preload.
Many other company feel that it is difficult to do this and just change the rear setup to a "Single Perch" design...
We wanted to make the design the right way and not the easy way, so we are pretty happy with this change as it kept in line with our philosophy.

Anyways, here are some info regarding MeisterR and the Zeta-R Coilovers for the DC5 chassis.
We had a few owners using the MeisterR Coilovers for the DC5 already, but I have yet to receive some pictures back from them. :)
I'll will get on the case and see if I can get some review and pictures for everyone to see.

If there are any concerns, please feel free to contact me at any time, I'll be happy to provide any assistance I can rather it is MeisterR Products or Not.

Edy

Advanced Member
'Good info' =D>

I have too heard alot of good write ups regarding 'Meister R's :xcheers:

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Fair Play Jerrick, good info.......looks like you may be getting a little busier in the future... :D

What sort of height adjustment do your coilovers offer?

MeisterR

Stylesa said:
Fair Play Jerrick, good info.......looks like you may be getting a little busier in the future... :D

What sort of height adjustment do your coilovers offer?
I would say the Zeta-R for the DC5 will easily provide around -20mm to around -50mm or so worth of height adjustments.
It will probably do a little more, but I rather be a little bit more conservative.

The front is never really a problem, as it is a MacPherson Strut design which mean the dampers and go pass the bracket when adjusting height.
I have not receive any complains about the front not able to lower the car enough... there are plenty of adjustments.
I actually design to have a little more damper stroke travel in the front just to make the suspension a bit more compliant for bumpy fast road use.

For the rear, it is as low as i can possible make it while still retaining adequate of damper travel.

If you look at the picture of the WRC Ad, you can see how low the DC5 is sitting at the moment.
Judging from the picture, you can easily lower the rear by another 35mm or so as the lowest setting will almost show none of the thread in the rear damper.

flex1984

Advanced Member
Have to admit im tempted by these

You seemed to work alot of good features into these coilovers, i was gona get some inverted track rod ends but no point if i just get these coilovers

Also im right in thinking the spring rate will stay the same no matter how low you go?

How would these compare to oem ride when there on the softest damper setting?

And will you be doing an offer like there use to be on type r owners site?

sinbad

Advanced Member
flex1984 said:
Also im right in thinking the spring rate will stay the same no matter how low you go?
Yes they'll stay the same.

I also asked Jerrick this after seeing the thread and he has offered the forum 15% discount off the RRP. 8)

i'm tempted by these too, i like the design, particulary for the track rod ends, i'm contemplating going abit lower with road and some track use in mind and these seem to be perfect and are getting good reviews.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I've been interested in them for months. Just, I keep spending all my spare cash :xbeer: :lol:

MeisterR

flex1984 said:
Have to admit im tempted by these

You seemed to work alot of good features into these coilovers, i was gona get some inverted track rod ends but no point if i just get these coilovers

How would these compare to oem ride when there on the softest damper setting?

Yes, you are correct.
The Springs Rate and more importantly Damper Stroke Travel will remain the same no matter how low you go.
The best feature of a "Dual Perch" Coilovers is that you do not lose any damper travel from ride height adjustments... it always remain the same. 8)

On the softest / softer setting, I would say the ride quality will be very similar if not even softer than the standard DC5 suspension.
The standard Honda Type-R suspension is very performance based and far from comfortable, so the damping adjustment actually provide alot of control over the ride quality of the car. :)

Many DC2 owners all commented how the Zeta-R actually provide a better ride than the standard DC2 suspension while reducing body roll.
The linear rate springs really make a difference because it makes the weight transfer much smoother and more predictable... giving you much more confidence.

As I am not a trader here yet so I cannot make any offer to the forum members.
But as I have been asked by several members regarding group buy offer that I have running currently... and I am happy to extend the offer to DC5 members as long as the Admin are okay with it.