Meister R Coilovers

George K

Advanced Member
Jerrick - You are spot on when you say that going for a linear rate is what makes such a big improvement to confidence because of the more consistent characteristics in roll. This particularly applies to the rear where the rate goes from 3 kg/mm to 8 (horrible on cold tyres)!!

Just a few questions;
Could you confirm what your standard spring rates are?
Does the damping adjustment affect both bump and rebound?
What is the overall travel of the front dampers, excluding bump stops
In certain forms of motorsport (production class) we can use coil overs, but have to retain the o.e top mount - would this work, I know this is not ideal as the centre bush does not rotate?

Thanks

MeisterR

George K said:
Jerrick - You are spot on when you say that going for a linear rate is what makes such a big improvement to confidence because of the more consistent characteristics in roll. This particularly applies to the rear where the rate goes from 3 kg/mm to 8 (horrible on cold tyres)!!

Just a few questions;
Could you confirm what your standard spring rates are?
Does the damping adjustment affect both bump and rebound?
What is the overall travel of the front dampers, excluding bump stops
In certain forms of motorsport (production class) we can use coil overs, but have to retain the o.e top mount - would this work, I know this is not ideal as the centre bush does not rotate?

Thanks
Yes, once you are use to linear rate springs... its kind of go back to Progressive because you are just feel that "little" bit unsure footed.
I had been developing another line of coilovers for the more Luxury end of the market (Audi, BMW, Lexus, Etc) and they really transform how the car drive...
Especially on the Lexus where they are very "comfort" focus on the factory setup to the point where it feels like all the weight of the car is on the front outside wheel when approaching the apex of a corner/roundabout.

With the new setup the car feels and drive like a BMW 3-Series, and I class that as a very good improvement... :xlol:

Standard Springs Rate for DC5: Front: 10kg/mm, Rear: 10kg/mm

Damping Adjustments: Affect both bump and rebound. Of course affect the rebound alot more than the bump.

Overall Free length travel of the front damper: 120mm (Remember this are Mono-Tube Dampers in a Dual Perch coilovers setup, so they normally have less travel than a twin tube damper because they have less by design and need less due to the Dual Perch construction)

Standard Top Mount on Coilovers: No idea... never tired it. But like anything I am sure we can make things fit if needed. The biggest issue you will have is the diameter of the shaft going through the top mount, and I am not sure what diameter is the damper shaft on the standard DC5. I am sure it won't be very difficult to make some type adaptor for the standard top mount if necessary... especially if this is for a race car.

darrenk

I'd also be intrested in how much these are as I have heard some good things and I'm looking at getting a set soon.

VooDoo

Advanced Member
I've got a set of these on mine and I am very happy with them.
Not too crashy and I've got them fairly low. The straight steering arms are certainly one of the best features of them.

That's how mines sits, the fronts are near enough as far down as they can go without tensioning the spring up, the rears still have a good wee bit left.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Thanks for that :xcheers:

What are the adjustments like? How compliant on softest?

Cheers

VooDoo

Advanced Member
Good adjustment on them, with camber adjustable topmounts too.
I've got them set Midway which I quite like, not tried anything else yet.

Just recently had a fast road setup on the car so I'll beable to really give them a good going over when I get a dry day :p

flex1984

Advanced Member
Thanks for review

How do u find the ride compare to std, i relise u got them half way but do thay ride well?

Mark_teg

Staff member
flex1984 said:
Thanks for review

How do u find the ride compare to std, i relise u got them half way but do thay ride well?
You sound in the same predicament (sp) as me :lol:

rodney

Advanced Member
VooDoo, she's looking beautiful :xyes:

I'll be interested in these in 6 months or so. I was tempted by the Eibach's in the first instance.

VooDoo

Advanced Member
Well the problem is, if you're wanting to run a DC5 that low, its not going to ride like standard. You're going to feel more bumps etc.
Where I've got them set halfway, I think this is a good compromise on how I want them to feel.
I've not tried the softest setting or hardest so cant comment on them but the ride is certainly not uncomfortable.

flex1984

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
flex1984 said:
Thanks for review

Why you looking at these mate

I like the look of these, at the moment i have lowering springs and i get a fair bit of bodyroll which im not keen on.

The steering arm feature also sells these to me , great feature i think, no need for inverted tie rods ends

The only think stoping me from getting these is not having many reveiws on the ride really

Mark_teg

Staff member
flex1984 said:
Mark_teg said:
flex1984 said:
Thanks for review

Why you looking at these mate

I like the look of these, at the moment i have lowering springs and i get a fair bit of bodyroll which im not keen on.

The steering arm feature also sells these to me , great feature i think, no need for inverted tie rods ends

The only think stoping me from getting these is not having many reveiws on the ride really
Like I said in my first post of this thread - Want the flexibility between comfort and fast road/track. Not expecting luxury, just near standard would suffice.

I think whichever make coilover you buy there'll be a risk of failure (possible except Ohlins).
Customer service seems exceptional so my only worry is will they suit my needs :-k

MeisterR

VooDoo said:
I've got a set of these on mine and I am very happy with them.
Not too crashy and I've got them fairly low. The straight steering arms are certainly one of the best features of them.

That's how mines sits, the fronts are near enough as far down as they can go without tensioning the spring up, the rears still have a good wee bit left.
That is looking very very nice... 8)
Check the springs and make sure they have no pre-load on them, it tend to give smoother weight transfer. :)

As for the damping adjustments, we adjusted the damping specifically for UK uneven road surfaces so there are a large range of adjustments.
On full soft, most DC2 / EP3 owners actually say they are more comfortable than standard.
On full hard... it will be very hard and honestly not recommended unless on track; pretty sure it won't provide any traction on uneven road surfaces if you run the damper on the hardest setting.

I normally start with Front 50% / Rear 25% as a "baseline" for damping adjustments
So I will start with 16 clicks on the front and 8 clicks in the rear (from the softest out of 32 clicks)
This normally give a pretty compliant ride and it is a good starting point to move the damping up or down to suit your personal preference. :)

By the way, if you got any more photos please send them this way... Car look lovely on the SE37K :twisted: