Mods and sound?

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
Will a full exhaust and headers make the car much louder? Does it get tiring when driving long distances on the freeway or is not as bad if you drive on 6th gear around 70 miles an hour? Anyone regret installing a certain product because of the noise?

Archie

Advanced Member
I fitted a hks hi power silent cat back , the sound is noticably louder but it is not over the top :D and does not leave your ears ringing on motorway journeys :D

ally_mac

Advanced Member
all depends wht exhaust u buy mate, the likes of spoon and buddyclub r v v loud exhausts and cud get tiring on motorway runs. I have a dc sports header and fujitsubo exhaust and it has a nice note of it, nothin 2loud

Wootty

Advanced Member
I just run with the spoon N1 on the rear and its very droney.....Gets real tiring at 5k rmp on the motorway. With the k-pro set at 5k v-tec on 1/2 throttle then 4.5krpm in 6th is just bearable.

But then you shouldn't be driving at that speed anyway :lol:

But I have been thinking about changing it to something else.

neolee40

Advanced Member
aself66 said:
buddy club III plus toda manifold hurts mummy :lol:
i had a spec III on the Dc-5 and went to scotland and back and was ok I suppose but i i prefer it to be quiet ( for the time being )

jonster

Advanced Member
Toda header and Mugen Twin-loop cat back. Has kept my Teg quiet enough for the track and easy to live with on the road / motorway despite the rear seats being removed. Noise and vibration got really bad when I added motor mount inserts so they didn't stay in for long.

black teg

jonster said:
Toda header and Mugen Twin-loop cat back. Has kept my Teg quiet enough for the track and easy to live with on the road / motorway despite the rear seats being removed. Noise and vibration got really bad when I added motor mount inserts so they didn't stay in for long.
I thought if you use a race header you had to have the uprated motor mounts or the manifold could crack :shock: or have you gone back to a stock manifold

aself66

Advanced Member
neolee you dumbass you sold it to me :!: you went to scotland to pick up your girlfriend right?

dan the man

Advanced Member
aself66 said:
neolee you dumbass you sold it to me :!: you went to scotland to pick up your girlfriend right?
LMAO!

i have a full mugen twin loop and standard fannymold, not loud at all on normal throttle.

on harsh throttle slightly louder than stock but not much inside..not deep either but classy raspish :wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
red teg said:
jonster said:
I thought if you use a race header you had to have the uprated motor mounts or the manifold could crack :shock: or have you gone back to a stock manifold
thats right you do!

my toda mani and hks cat back are only slightly louder than stock on normal driving, but its like a motorbike when in rajjed mode!

jonster

Advanced Member
jonster said:
I haven't had any problems for the last year and a half where I've done quite a few track days with the TODA. Maybe because my car is lighter there is less engine flex or it could be my smooth driving :) I'm toying with fitting an engine damper just for track days if I add more power to the car.

mikegsi

Staff member
the dampers can cause more damage than good, imagine it snapping leaving the bolt inside the head?

better off and cheaper with engine mount inserts

Evs

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
the dampers can cause more damage than good, imagine it snapping leaving the bolt inside the head?

better off and cheaper with engine mount inserts

Which bolt exactly? All the bolts that hold mine in place were already there (and not screwed into the head)

mikegsi

Staff member
dunno, just what Tom told me when i questionned him about it before i got the inserts instead.

i was gonna get a damper, but on his advice decided against it

Trung

Advanced Member
I can't imagine an ETD that could cause a bolt to fall inside the engine. :lol:
There are reliability issues with the ETD itself mentioned on CRSX.
Engine mount inserts are the best solution.
Only cost around £30 for the mount inserts and £50 to install them at TGM.
Those who winge about it causing too much vibrations are just poofters (Sorry Jon :wink:)

jonster

Advanced Member
Remind me to issue a heavy slap when I next see you Trung. It's the missus I've got to keep happy mostly but also the general noise level of the car is increased. This put me very close to being black flagged a Goodwood because of drive-by noise getting very close to the limit.

My other thought is to try the Mugen engine mounts which I believe are 10% stiffer but don't give you serious vibes / noise. I think Franz has had these for a while.

Jon

Mersey_typeR

Advanced Member
I noticed a noise increase when I had the uprated engine mounts fitted yesterday.

The day I took my car in to TDi I took TP's car for a spin and commented on it being louder than mine in the cabin (we have the same GruppeM, PRC, K-Pro, Full toda exhaust setup). Couldn't think why, but when I got my car back I suddenly realised.

The vibrations are no where near as bad as I was expecting.