Nat B Race Lience > ARDS Course > PASSED

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I went up to Oulton park today... to sit my ARDS test.. part of the process for applying for my NAT B Race Licence...

I passed the written paper with only 1 error... a question that had two answers in a similar vain... I choose the wrong one :oops: but ha, passed..

Next moved onto the Driving side of the ARDS course.. 20 mins on track with an instructor making an assessment / rating my track driving.. I drove a MSV Clio Cup.. not bad.. very lazy engine.. no need to rev.. so not as much fun as a Honda if i'm honest.

MSV run their ARDS courses on their public trackdays.. and it just happened that today their was a large number of BMW M3's out playing.. so had to have my wits about me....

So after 20 mins driving.. went back into the pits for the de-brief.

He explained what he was looking for etc.. and then he started to fill out his score sheet... for some reason... all he could put down was 'A' Grades :D :D

After another chat and further advice...he took my assessment form to the Chief Instructor.. who then signed my NAT B Application form... and added the comments:

Outstanding Drive

Next step for me.. is to hopefully get my race project DC5 going into full swing within a few weeks...

Receive my licence from the MSA... then, I'll go out and buy some racing cloths etc..

Then, try to make a choice as to what Race Series to enter next year... looking at options like Nippon Challenge or Endurance racing...

Then start to undertake testing on my race DC5.

:D

Mike

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Suped said:
Well Done MJ, don't suppose you video'ed it? :lol:
Hummmm NO....

Not allowed to do that... you don't even get a copy of the accessment.... Both are kept by Oulton for record... in case the MSA calls them in for checking etc..

Thanks for the support...

Mike

Evs

Advanced Member
Well done, great result & best of luck with whatever you decide to do next :D

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
Well done, but you should do it at Silverstone because they have Lotus Exige for the test car.

Pass mine when I was 19 8)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Dixcelbrake said:
Well done, but you should do it at Silverstone because they have Lotus Exige for the test car.

Pass mine when I was 19 8)
I'm not a rear wheel drive Fan, Dixon tbh...

It was better for me to do a test in what I know :idea:

I've only been into doing trackdays for the past 4 years... and this was a spare of the moment idea I had about a month or so back...

Mike

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Well done Mike 8)

How much does it cost and how difficult is it to pass? I've been thinking about doing this.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
when i had my licence there was no such thing as the ards test it was quite a while ago (i must be getting old)
it has since expired tho :(

congrats Mike. i knew you'd breeze through it

lee76

Advanced Member
Good man, Come and have a go at the Dunlop Motorsport News Saloons cheap entries , full grids , nice people and a good atmosphere in the paddock.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Well done matey! You'll have to keep us all informed on what series you choose to race in, I'll be sure to come and watch if you're at Oulton Park again! :)

Cheers
Wardy

jonster

Advanced Member
Nice one Mike. Sounds like you've improved quite a bit with all those track days you did last year.

Turtle

Nice one Mike. Now you just need to stop saying 'temporary track car', get something together and go race 8)

For example there's the ex Nick James BTCC DC2 for sale at present IIRC... something like that wouldn't have to be 'temporary' :idea:

-Brian.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Turtle said:
For example there's the ex Nick James BTCC DC2 for sale at present IIRC... something like that wouldn't have to be 'temporary' :idea:

-Brian.
Thanks Brian...

I'd love to do something now... but a lot of water has passed by now.. and it wont be too much longer... when you think about how long I've been waiting!!

As to the cost... it's not cheap... you can do two trackdays for what it costs to go through! the MSA are certainly onto a good thing :wink:

Mike