Need advice on what exhaust manifold ?

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Hi people,
before you say use the search button I have and have read and looked at the dyno page.
I would like to know what people thnk about the following makes.
Money is an option but I would still like to know what would the best after Market manifold/decat.
Iv allways loved and owned mugen 4-1 manifolds but there stupid money.
So:
mugen
buddyclub
Dc Sports
spoon.

Just to let you know that my dc5 has stock interals, AEM V2 induction kit, mugen twin loop exhaust.
That's all iv done other than wheels.

I'm looking at the dc and buddyclub manifolds at the moment, other than the price can anyone put some light on them?

Thanks
James.

armjoker

Advanced Member
One of the best manifolds for dc5 is Toda (for max HP output)
The BC is also good tho. Mugen and Spoon is very expensive (if u r after the new one)

dc5ian

Advanced Member
i wouldnt go spoon 4-2 & 2-1

it sounds very wierd, when i put the 2-1 section on it sounds very raspy and like theres a leak..

dc5ian

Advanced Member
if u ever want to sit in the car and listen u can as ur only down the road

i have taken the j's racing 70 rr off and have a cat back on now

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
If you want the 2 piece header, I would go for the J's 4-2 2-1.
For a full race header Toda :D

dc5ian

Advanced Member
Honda-atr said:
If you want the 2 piece header, I would go for the J's 4-2 2-1.
For a full race header Toda :D
both expensive and hard to get hold of

blueguy

Resident J's whore
As you've stated money is an option, I would go for the Buddy Club.

If you can/want to stretch the budget -
The J's design looks like it will perform really well, but as it's so rare there aren't really any figures to show what it's capable of. There's a chap in Ireland who has the system on his car, Kinli has just got his, and mine's due anytime now... so it might be worth waiting to see how they perform and then doing a (relative/subjective) comparison with what I seem to remember being the top two manifolds based on member's experiences (Buddy Club and Toda).

Additionally, you may what to look into what would work best with your exhaust/ if you're gonna change etc.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Just spoken to tom at TGM,
he recomend the DC manifold over buddyclub as he says there stronger and more reliable.
Also he says that the DC is a copy of the toda design.
I am possible getting one of these but will investigate some more.

The mugen twin loop is staying on as it is quiet untill it's vtec note comes 8)
thanks for the help so far.
J

Rob84

Advanced Member
As far as i'm aware, the Buddy club manifold has the biggest proven gains and the fact it is of a slip joint construction, they don't crack like other "solid" headers like DC, Toda etc

Hope this helps :xcheers:

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member
does the buddyclub mani fit most aftermarket catback exhausts ie spoon etc :xconfused:

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
teggy_dc5 said:
does the buddyclub mani fit most aftermarket catback exhausts ie spoon etc :xconfused:
Yes.
I Heard good stories to about the Buddyclub header, and the price is also good ;)

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
So does the bc manifold have problems with leaking joints if it's a sleeve type construction?
I'm told there not very strong and don't last long before they need welding work?
J

LeeH

Advanced Member
JamesSSB said:
So does the bc manifold have problems with leaking joints if it's a sleeve type construction?
I'm told there not very strong and don't last long before they need welding work?
J
No and No.

rodney

Advanced Member
teggy_dc5 said:
My BC has had a Twin Loop bpipe,oem bpipe and now spoon b pipe so yes,as said it will fit all if not most bpipes.

BC said to me that they are not meant for road use ie it's meant for race teams that switch them if they do crack,their not designed for the heat/cold/wet cycle continuiosly.I'm sure most people have no problems at all but I know that coldfuse took his off to find a crack on his BC header. The above applies to all race headers but it's the risk you take for gains I suppose. I'm happy with mine,looking forward to what figures I get with the mods in my sig.

I got a BC as it was a good price otherwise I would have gone DC. Chalkie had good gains as have others,is BC worth the premium over DC? IMO I don't think do..

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Thats interesting mate. Out off interest how much did you pay for your bc and from where?
I take it also that the poly inserts are a definate thing to get done yea.
J

Kinli

Advanced Member
Do not forget the 5Zigen manifod! it's the only one I've seen to end at 70mm.

I have the full j's racing 4-2 & 2-1 installed and it does feel good. Great manifold but only buy it if you know it's in stock or you are prepared to wait about a year.. :roll:

I will have the car on the rollers as soon as I am ready with my setup & satisfied with the tune. The results will be hard to compare as I have the IPS cams, skunk2 intake / tb, custom this, custom that so hopefully someone else will also get the j's on the dyno.

rodney

Advanced Member
JamesSSB said:
Thats interesting mate. Out off interest how much did you pay for your bc and from where?
I take it also that the poly inserts are a definate thing to get done yea.
J
I purchased it from a chap on here circa £400.

I haven't got the inserts mate, seems fine - think you only need inserts if you have the flexi pipe i.e. DC or Toda? This badboy's two piece straight to the Spoon b-pipe..N1 going on in a few hours :twisted: I may be mistaken though, I may need one?!

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Oh k, was that a second hand bc or new? Trader?
Only place I have found is toxic rides.
Funkypower have dc in stock.
Any other places to try?