Need help! URGENTLY

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'm in the process of reverting some engine parts back to standard. I'd planned on taking off the Fujitsubo RM01A, Tegiwa Decat manifold and Tegiwa intake along with the KPRO ECU. They're all off the car currently as we speak.

I thought I had an OEM exhaust manifold but I don't, I only have the downpipe and cat. An OEM back box and B pipe is going back on the car along with an OEM Intake box, but because I don't have the full manifold this will have to go back on the car for now until I can source the said part.

I've been told that I'd need an OEM uncoded ECU, otherwise the car will be running rich as it currently is (with the decat manifold still on if I'm unable to source an OEM manifold)

My questions are. Will the car be unsafe and will it cause damage to the engine if I drive it as it is? (It's a replacement engine that's just been installed so don't want to damage it for obvious reasons)

Also re KPRO. The map that's on the car is based on the old engine with all the above mods. Do I need an uncoded/unlocked ECU in order for the car to run solely off the OEM parts?

I don't want to pay to get another remap as I'm hoping I'll have had everything reverted back to standard pretty soon. I need to drive the car on a daily basis but at the same time I don't want to damage anything either.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Is it a Kpro or K100 you have mate? I am not 100% on this but if its a K100 is it not just a chip that's removable if you open the ECU?, as I say I don't know on this one as such as never had to do it or encountered it but I recently fitted a chip to my friends 87 Carrera and it was literally plug and play with a map and then you remap and tweak from there as you please.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
It's full KPRO mate.
I hope someone else will confirm but I am sure it's this simple, remove and open the ECU and then there should be 2 circuit boards. The main one which I believe is the original OEM standard ECU and a smaller one/chip that is mounted to it. This will be the kproand it will say Hondata Kpro on it. I am sure this can be pulled out. Maybe worth contacting qa mapper to as if this is right as I could be completely wrong as I have never personally installed a Kpro or K100, but if this is right the removal will mean the cars back to OEM map I believe

lewis87

Advanced Member
Safer to run rich rather than lean so I wouldn't of thought you would damage your replacement engine using it for a short while. Can't have been mapped to use that much more fuel with just an intake and exhaust?

daniel-cmyk

carl hammond said:
I hope someone else will confirm but I am sure it's this simple, remove and open the ECU and then there should be 2 circuit boards. The main one which I believe is the original OEM standard ECU and a smaller one/chip that is mounted to it. This will be the kproand it will say Hondata Kpro on it. I am sure this can be pulled out. Maybe worth contacting qa mapper to as if this is right as I could be completely wrong as I have never personally installed a Kpro or K100, but if this is right the removal will mean the cars back to OEM map I believe
I'm not sure exactly how the K100/Kpro work, but would the map go onto the Hondata part of the board or is the Hondata used to just get into the OEM ECU to modifiy that, meaning the map is on the and would remain on the OEM ECU and the Hondata is just there to give access to it?

Hmmmmmmm.... just a thought lol. I have no idea how it works, just thinking of the options..

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ddc5 said:
I'm not sure exactly how the K100/Kpro work, but would the map go onto the Hondata part of the board or is the Hondata used to just get into the OEM ECU to modifiy that, meaning the map is on the and would remain on the OEM ECU and the Hondata is just there to give access to it?

Hmmmmmmm.... just a thought lol.
Not sure to be honest. My limited knowledge is that a Kpro board connects to the oem board (sits on top) and that is what gets programmed (however the good point you make is, does this edit the oem or piggyback off and get used as a standalone board). Ideally Marc needs to contact Jesse, Romain or someone similar to see if it's as simple as remove the board or not as some cars have boards just plugged in and others are soldered to the OEM board and are then used to override the original map

My knowledge of Kpro and K100 etc all stops here unfortunatly lol

daniel-cmyk

carl hammond said:
Not sure to be honest. My limited knowledge is that a Kpro board connects to the oem board (sits on top) and that is what gets programmed (however the good point you make is, does this edit the oem or piggyback off and get used as a standalone board). Ideally Marc needs to contact Jesse, Romain or someone similar to see if it's as simple as remove the board or not as some cars have boards just plugged in and others are soldered to the OEM board and are then used to override the original map

My knowledge of Kpro and K100 etc all stops here unfortunatly lol
Lol, yeah, same here unfortunately.

Marc, get in contact with someone who knows more OR get on facebook marketplace, there must be an OEM ECU laying about somewhere. Put a wanted post up and someone will have one, I'm sure of it!

Same goes for OEM Mani.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ddc5 said:
Lol, yeah, same here unfortunately.

Marc, get in contact with someone who knows more OR get on facebook marketplace, there must be an OEM ECU laying about somewhere. Put a wanted post up and someone will have one, I'm sure of it!

Same goes for OEM Mani.
This ^^^^

Or do a deal with someone, your Kpro for their OEM and cash your way mate :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Sorry guys, been at work on only just got back. Thanks for all the advice and help on this, still none the wiser though lol.

I think I'm best getting an OEM one but I don't want to get one to find it's locked and I can't use it if that makes sense?

I may have one lined up now, I've taken the advice and gone on to the FB page so just waiting. Ben at VTEC Direct knows someone who has one for £250, does that seem about right for an OEM standard ECU that's unlocked?

Also thanks Lewis for the info re it running rich, hopefully it won't come to that but I don't want to do any damage to the replacment engine that's just been dropped in the car.

Cheers lads!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
Safer to run rich rather than lean so I wouldn't of thought you would damage your replacement engine using it for a short while. Can't have been mapped to use that much more fuel with just an intake and exhaust?
It also had the decat as well mate, so decat manifold, exhaust and intake so it did need a remap. I'm referring to the previous engine here btw.

The current engine has the standard intake on, standard back box and standard B pipe. The decat hasn't been put back on the car as of yet as I'm trying to get hold of the upper section from someone.

I'm just relucatant to drive it home later this week with the decat on and the KPRO still installed. Would rather it had a plain old standard ECU and standard exhaust manifold etc so I can get it up for sale without any further issues.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Two options:

1. Simplest and most cost effective is get a standard ECU via a swap/deal (cash your way obvs) or buy one and sell your Kpro.
2. Upload an OEM type map to your Kpro - these are available on kmanager. You'll need somebody who knows how to use kmanager, but that doesn't mean paying - surely a member close by can help?

Regarding locked/unlocked:

1. this doesn't apply to a standard ECU so no need to worry. You'll need to ensure it's for a dc5 (EP3 ecus are not compatible!) and a prefacelift, to ensure there's no immobiliser issues.
2. Is your map locked on your Kpro locked by your tuner? This could give you an issue with option 2 above but should be easily overwritten (you just can't tweak or download the existing map)

Hope that helps :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Two options:

1. Simplest and most cost effective is get a standard ECU via a swap/deal (cash your way obvs) or buy one and sell your Kpro.
2. Upload an OEM type map to your Kpro - these are available on kmanager. You'll need somebody who knows how to use kmanager, but that doesn't mean paying - surely a member close by can help?

Regarding locked/unlocked:

1. this doesn't apply to a standard ECU so no need to worry. You'll need to ensure it's for a dc5 (EP3 ecus are not compatible!) and a prefacelift, to ensure there's no immobiliser issues.
2. Is your map locked on your Kpro locked by your tuner? This could give you an issue with option 2 above but should be easily overwritten (you just can't tweak or download the existing map)

Hope that helps :)
Mark, that's an amazing reply and exactly what I was after. Thank you so much for this mate really appreciate it!!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
Got a collection of stock parts here if you need any. No spare ecu though.
Cheers Mebz! I've pretty much got everything now bud (I think). Just waiting on confirmation from Dan Coyote that he can locate the manifold which I should know tomorrow, then providing I can get the ECU I should be good to go.

If anything goes ti*s up with the manifold from Dan, how much would you be after for your please bud and would you sell just the upper bit at all if I need it?

Many thanks.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member

daniel-cmyk

Crazylegs said:
That's the one dude! Good find as well nice one!

I'm confident I should have one tomorrow off Dan anyway but thanks again mate and everyone else for all your help with this, goes to show how great this forum is and I will miss it massively once the car has gone.
No worries man, always good to help someone in need :)

At lleast you now have the options to move forward with a clearer mind 🙏🏼

Mebz

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Cheers Mebz! I've pretty much got everything now bud (I think). Just waiting on confirmation from Dan Coyote that he can locate the manifold which I should know tomorrow, then providing I can get the ECU I should be good to go.

If anything goes ti*s up with the manifold from Dan, how much would you be after for your please bud and would you sell just the upper bit at all if I need it?

Many thanks.
Rather not split but can do if you need it. Not really here to make a profit. Just give us a fair price, whatever they go for and I'll be happy.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ddc5 said:
No worries man, always good to help someone in need :)

At lleast you now have the options to move forward with a clearer mind
Thanks mate, been a great help with this today.