Noise testing advise

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
i dont know about silverstone, but when i went around brands with stoo last year you were noise tested before you go on. fingers crossed im uber the 105db :/

brucey87

Advanced Member
thinking about it, if those btcc ep3's were under the db limit blasting around combe then i think i should be fine.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
those ep3's were not running the same BTCC engines, ( pretty stock k20's with ecu's and basic breathing mods) orexhaust systems, so not particularly noisy,
my old car had a spoon mani and decat with a HKS silent high power which had to have the bung in at combe due to noise.

its best not to guess or assume just because a car has such and such exhaust it will pass, the best and only way to be sure is to go to the circuit and get it tested,

brucey87

Advanced Member
Its over a 3 hour drive to combe for me so will try to get it tested localy. Il be taking my bung just incase anyway.

harVTEC

Steve_DC5 said:
Get tested with the bung in then take it out ;)
And end up getting black flagged and lose the rest of your session ;)

OP: What dates the trackday? I may shoot up and have a watch, if you have any tracks local to you I'd take it for a sound check, they don't charge or anything. I'd even be tempted to drive to Brands and get it done, I know you say it's an hour each way but I'd rather that than book up, get there and not pass. Your set up is exactly what my Dad is using, DC header, RM01, GruppeM, he's never had a problem with noise on track.

Harv

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
harVTEC said:
And end up getting black flagged and lose the rest of your session ;)

OP: What dates the trackday? I may shoot up and have a watch, if you have any tracks local to you I'd take it for a sound check, they don't charge or anything. I'd even be tempted to drive to Brands and get it done, I know you say it's an hour each way but I'd rather that than book up, get there and not pass. Your set up is exactly what my Dad is using, DC header, RM01, GruppeM, he's never had a problem with noise on track.

Harv
its the 9th of feb mate! yea brands hatch is only 60 min from me which is a bonus lol, oh right thanks for that! :D
ive recently got a decibel metre app on my iphone, i gave it a go on cold start and it was 94 db if correctly so going buy that i should be fine but im not sure how accurate is is :/

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Decibel meter apps are not accurate at all Ben. My assumption is that your bolt ons are in good nick given your car is always at Mimms ;)

If that is the case you will be no way near the noise limit.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
They will make you rev to about 6000 revs normally for the noise test, the meter is also at 45 deg to the exhaust and I think 1 m away.

However passing a static test is easy, it's the drive by that's hard. And at Combe they are strict

brucey87

Advanced Member
If you put car in neutral then put your foot on the brake and rev, it will dissable launch control and rev to redline.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If you put car in neutral then put your foot on the brake and rev, it will dissable launch control and rev to redline.
Wow, I've never heard that before, we always struggled with noise tests, because of launch limiter, and used to have two maps it was a right pain in the ass,

paul hughes

If anyone is in the north traveling south, we do a free noise test for anyone using either a Buddyclub header or system. We have the same static meters used by Oulton,Brands etc. could save you a lot of fuel money ??? we can also weld in baffles of muffler boxes if you pre book.

Drivebye tests are hard to cheat unless you know where they are. (then you can back off) Donnington and Bedford are the worst two i know. some tracks have local authority licences for X number of noisy days (around 105db) and X number of quiet days (around 98dB), better to check your track time provider.

MSA days are usually noisy days. :) Road licence days are usually quiet days.. :(

Bonito

Advanced Member
brucey87 said:
Only works if your foot on clutch to start is still connected. Mine's disconnected and when my KPro is in it'll hit launch RPM even with foot down and in neutral.

brucey87

Advanced Member
I have k100 so may be different? As long as foot is on brake it will rev to redline, then engage clutch and it will rev to launch rpm. Paul at tdi north set it up for me so may of done something different.