Odd Idle

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Hi All

My Teg has recently developed an odd idle.

I am running a AEM CAI to which I had this problem with once, where the IAT sensor came out slightly from the Red tube.

What I used to get on a normal day:
Cold Car & Cold Day - Idle 1800RPM and slowly go down
Warm Car & Cold Day - Idle 900RPM happily
Cold Car & Warm Day - Idle 1500RPM and slowly go down
Warm & Warm Day - Idle 900RPM happily

Now when I start it, it is idling at 1200rpm at first. Goes up to 1500RPM then goes back slowly to 1200RPM
When warm, it idles at 1100RPM and may drop to 900RPM.
I may also have a slight increase in revs when first putting into idle, but not all the time. This was worse yesterday.

Things I think it could be:
Damp Filter from this heavy rain - Drying out now so showing improvement on the increase at idle
IAT is dirty
IAT needs replacing
IAT is not sealing properly.

Please let me know your thoughts

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Mine has been doing the same and I also am running the aem cai, after reading a couple of threads, I have decided to (when it's not pissing down with rain) take the inlet, throttle bottle and the aem apart and give it a good clean, with this weather and all the wet crap on the road I wouldn't say are type of filter is the best, even if it doesn't let dirt through, you still must get something.

Also maybe a stupid answer this time of year I'm usually driving with lights, heater, windscreen wipers and radio on That all causes it rev higher.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
My car has not been mapped and will not be for a long time.
Everyone says you do not need a map unless you the RBC and I know many people with similar mods to mine that are not mapped and run fine.

Interestingly though, my idle is very similar to your second video.

I agree with taking the AEM CAI off, I am going to look at doing this soon. I am also looking at getting some sort of Hydro back to protect from the water during this weather. It cannot be much worse for spray than any other induction kit, the Gruppe M sits at the top of your bonnet where all the water streams too!

However I have never been too impressed with the IAT sensor area.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
My car hasn't been mapped either. Mines a bit like the second but unless all the electrics are off doesn't drop, stays about 950/1100, if I give it a good blast tho it's fine. Il clean mine up hopefully soon and report back :).

Lewis93

Advanced Member
The first video does look much worse out of the two there. I don't know if that could be anything to do with the knock sensor as when I took the first video it was broken and in the second I had had it replaced.

Just had some advice that it could be the IAVC so if you're taking bits out to clean it might be worth giving that a good going over too.

Also disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then give the car a blast after if any of what's been said doesn't work.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Interesting idea Alexander, never thought about it if the the electrics made a difference...
But ive had a new battery for 2 weeks. Maybe it doesnt need charging as as much?

I still think its weather related my self. Need to get some carb cleaner

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Shortstuff said:
Interestingly shes alot happier today. Not perfect but better?
Don't know about you but the weather was a lot better today not as cold, if it's idling normal after a good blast, from what I have read and please someone correct me if I'm wrong sounds like IAVC. Needs a clean maybe. Iv bought a couple of thermal gaskets from tegiwa, and going to use davidpingu thread and take the inlet, throttle body off to clean it up.

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/30266-removingreplacing-your-inlet-manifold/?p=292431

Mbk786

Advanced Member
mine does exactly the same thing, and i have a AEM CAI too... i was going to clean my idle control valve ? maybe its got dirt in it... Did solve the problem on my ek b18 when i cleaned the idle control valve with carb cleaner.