OEM air box vs aftermarket Induction

ekg

Advanced Member
This is a widely discussed topic on most forums. I've been searching for info because recently I went back to my OEM airbox from Tegiwa GM and honestly apart from the massive sound disadvantage I think it performs better. Is it just me????? I just thought I'd share an article I found, its from America so tests were on the RSX but still worth a read.

I don't think this link has been posted on here but apologies if it has. its dated back to 2003.
http://www.importtuner.com/reviews/parts/0305_impp_acura_rsx_type_s/viewall.html

I really don't believe those figures can be so much better than OEM.

Please share your thoughts...

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I've never heard of a 20bhp increase from an intake. That sort of difference would be hugely noticeable as well. People rarely manage to get that kind of increase even with £1500 - £2000 cams along with a Kpro re-map.

I've recently gone back to OEM from a SRI. The difference I've experienced is minor at best and all opinion but I'd say OEM feels slightly down on power from VTEC and up, noise reduction could also play a part in giving this impression though.

The OEM filter definitely feels better for everyday driving to me though. It feels more responsive through lower down revs and pick up and somehow it just feels smoother overall. Totally my opinion though.

Altecians

Advanced Member
Whole can of worms here as to how they conducted those tests, whether their dynos were reading accurately or how bias they were.

End of the day though, one should know there isnt much to be gained with intakes on Honda engines compared to say turbo cars, more so without mapping.
Additionally I highly doubt that an individual could "feel" any kind of difference of the advertised HP of these intakes. Placebo at best with the noise.

This topic is abit of a dead horse.. if you are after every last drop of power and have a hardcore build on then yes , an aftermarket intake is the way to go.
However if you are more cost conscious you might not see the point in chasing said performance for the price tag.

Do I think there are gains to be made with certain aftermarket intakes? Yes

Do I think they are all that significant in gains? No.

Do I have an aftermarket intake? Yep.

Its really personal choice at the end of the day.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Altecians said:
Whole can of worms here as to how they conducted those tests, whether their dynos were reading accurately or how bias they were.

End of the day though, one should know there isnt much to be gained with intakes on Honda engines compared to say turbo cars, more so without mapping.
Additionally I highly doubt that an individual could "feel" any kind of difference of the advertised HP of these intakes. Placebo at best with the noise.

This topic is abit of a dead horse.. if you are after every last drop of power and have a hardcore build on then yes , an aftermarket intake is the way to go.
However if you are more cost conscious you might not see the point in chasing said performance for the price tag.

Do I think there are gains to be made with certain aftermarket intakes? Yes

Do I think they are all that significant in gains? No.

Do I have an aftermarket intake? Yep.

Its really personal choice at the end of the day.
You've made a good point I meant to make and forgot in my original post and that is the cost/HP ratio. Pound for pound its probably the worst mod to do for return.

I'd love a J's intake one day but am I prepared to by £1000 for one? Not at the moment. A K-Pro and RBC would be much more of a return on that sort of money.

I hope to get the J's one day but it will be a finishing piece rather than the first mod I do

ekg

Advanced Member
Those gains do seem ridiculous. I'm going to stick with OEM for a bit and keep my eye out for a 5zigen cold air feed, in the meantime I will probably become in-patient and fettle my own.

BenSayers

Advanced Member
Partially OT but kind of relevant swapping the OEM air box for a K&N intake on old Fiesta ST gets about 15bhp increase but that is due to Ford deliberately throttling air in to reduce power to bring it in at a lower insurance grouping. So big gains are possible but it would be rare to come by.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
You've made a good point I meant to make and forgot in my original post and that is the cost/HP ratio. Pound for pound its probably the worst mod to do for return.

I'd love a J's intake one day but am I prepared to by £1000 for one? Not at the moment. A K-Pro and RBC would be much more of a return on that sort of money.

I hope to get the J's one day but it will be a finishing piece rather than the first mod I do
I'm no induction expert but I cannot see how the likes of Gruppe M and J's Racing can justify charging those sort of prices for an intake, £500 would be too much. I couldn't justify it not that I have the funds I don't. As you've pointed out an RBC would be a much better mod for the money.

In saying that there is a clip of Steve off here doing Cadwell Park in his DC5 and he has a J's Racing intake and Spoon N1 and B pipe and not only does the car sound fantastic but it seems to pull so much better and rev so much freer than the standard intake and exhaust, the power delivery is instant and the sound, well that is something different altogether! I could just be imagining things though. The Type-R is no normal road engine either so this probably also helps.

I've had an induction kit of some kind on pretty much every performance vehicle I've had and apart from an increase in noise I'm confident enough to say they've offered zero extra in terms of performance, possibly even worsened the performance in some cases. They do sound good though!!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ronnie31 said:
Steve's car also has manifold and kpro and performs very well as you say
It certainly does, it absolutely flies that thing. Love the noise off it too it's so addictive.

Would love mine to sound like that.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
A lad on honda tech tested the oem air box vs oem hondata modded airbox vs short ram i think similar conditions and the standard oem provided better torque but it cant flow aswell at the top end with the standard k20a2 intake manifold

I personally am going back to the oem airbox but im going to install an rrc intake manifold according to dyno print outs of various rbc vs rrc tests i think it will create a very responsive engine

If i can find the links when im on the works laptop tomorrow i will post them up. Im on my phone at the moment

davidpingu

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
A lad on honda tech tested the oem air box vs oem hondata modded airbox vs short ram i think similar conditions and the standard oem provided better torque but it cant flow aswell at the top end with the standard k20a2 intake manifold
I personally am going back to the oem airbox but im going to install an rrc intake manifold according to dyno print outs of various rbc vs rrc tests i think it will create a very responsive engine
If i can find the links when im on the works laptop tomorrow i will post them up. Im on my phone at the moment
Exactly the setup I'm going for :)

ekg

Advanced Member
I would agree with that. I never understood the Hondata airbox mod, it doesn't really make sense.

I just need a cold air feed for my OEM air box!

mike.williams

Advanced Member
I also wanted to go back to the oem exhaust manifold instead if my buddyclub one because when i refitted it to pass the MOT it felt abit more responsive lower down the revs.

I do have a spoon 2-1 knocking about too so im unsure whether to go oem 4-2 with the cat or spoon decat

I would love to test out my various options but that will be costly due to the hours of tuning required

But my main aim is for oem quality that is super responsive.

Altecians

Advanced Member
I think the difference with OEM and aftermarket is pretty much summed up with everything we've said..It's more a "feeling" of improvement. Sure there is data to support both sides of the argument but if it always comes down to feeling , there is no right or wrong answer.

What Mike said about testing is the best way to go about this whole thing objectively.

mike.williams said:
But my main aim is for oem quality that is super responsive.
On a side note, Has to be Mugen ;)

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
On a side note, Has to be Mugen ;)
[/quote]

Agree, I like my mugen airbox but moving on means it can go to a new home in the new year all going well....

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
What about a K&N replacement panel filter that way you're keeping the OEM intake and simple replacing the foam filter?
Supposed to give improved throttle response over an actual induction kit or is this just the same as the Hondata thing mentioned above?

Has anyone tried the K&N in the standard intake?

Mark_teg

Staff member
What about a K&N replacement panel filter that way you're keeping the OEM intake and simple replacing the foam filter?
Supposed to give improved throttle response over an actual induction kit or is this just the same as the Hondata thing mentioned above?

Has anyone tried the K&N in the standard intake?

You won't notice any difference IMO, but it's worth doing if your standard item needs changing.
The k&n is reusable (clean & oil it at intervals), the OEM isn't so it makes sense financially.

Aftermarket alternatives to the k&n are Spoon and Do-Luck.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers Mark.

I'd always read that a panel filter will see a significant improvement but I'm cynical about these types of things. Besides it doesn't seem K&N list a panel filter for the standard OEM intake. What's it like inside the OEM induction system, it is paper panel filter or is there a cone inside the box?

ekg

Advanced Member
OEM is a cylindrical paper filter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk