OEM air box vs aftermarket Induction

My two cents:

I think something to be considered is the difference in intake temp and heat soak across the different styles of intakes. Using my BLITZ R-Vit I can confirm that with my OEM air box and cold air feed that average around town temps are about 28-30c and about 21c at 100km/h. However using a Pod filter I have seen temps soar up to around 40c! Power is noticably drained at this temp. I think that on the dyno, some intakes will perform well as there is a constant supply of cold air; however on the street all the other variables such as stop start driving where the heat soaks in increases rapidly would drain power very quickly! Some intakes seem to give good numbers on the dyno but in the real world are no good unless you are about 100km/h most of the time and do no stop/start or park the car up at a shop for 10 min etc...

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Altecians said:
I think the difference with OEM and aftermarket is pretty much summed up with everything we've said..It's more a "feeling" of improvement. Sure there is data to support both sides of the argument but if it always comes down to feeling , there is no right or wrong answer.
I can't agree with this more.

As people who modify cars everybody wants something different and people tend to always look at figures too much IMO.

Yes certain different intakes might add another 2 or 3 horse power but is it the most important thing? Maybe if you have a real track based car and actually use it on the track often but I think that mods should be more about how you want the car to feel and make it more of a pleasure to drive. :)

LewisK20 said:
I can't agree with this more.

As people who modify cars everybody wants something different and people tend to always look at figures too much IMO.

Yes certain different intakes might add another 2 or 3 horse power but is it the most important thing? Maybe if you have a real track based car and actually use it on the track often but I think that mods should be more about how you want the car to feel and make it more of a pleasure to drive. :)
Well said Lewis!

dave c

400hp K20
I've been in a DC5 for years now and over that time the car has been in various states of tune.

Looking back I think I've had maybe 5 x different cat-back exhausts, 2 x inlet manifolds, 2 x exhaust manifolds, 2 x induction setups and even 2 x turbo kits oh and a kpro :)

So to answer the original question, with £/per bhp in mind on a naturally aspirated integra I'd say stick with the stock airbox.

I've also done a couple of comparison tests before and after with various "performance" mods and the same result, although the figures on a dyno might be different by as much as 10hp, in the real world. There was no real difference in performance on the road.

My conclusion is that in order to make any sizeable difference in actual "acceleration", you need a hell of a lot more HP (like 50hp minimum for example) to even notice the difference and we all know the easiest way to do that is to force the induction with boost.

I would argue that the difference between a 220hp intergra and a 250hp integra would be so marginal on the road that its an absolute waste of money when you think what you have to pay to get your bhp there.

As others have said its all about the sensation and driving experience. So if you want noise and theater by all means get your mods on and choose them to suit your preference but if you are looking for £/per hp leave it stock and get a final drive installed.

Or get your wallet out and boost it :)

my 2p

Lewis93

Advanced Member
This is probably one of the best posts I've read on here Dave, real good bit of information from someone who has a lot of experience.

When I first got my Integra I did a lot of research about what the best mods would be and had a very get the most BHP mind set - I always thought a SC or turbo kit would be out of my budget but as I added up all the things I had in mind it wasn't far off what a forced induction kit would cost.

Since then I've just thought what's the point in changing the car so much and ditched the idea a little, by no means is a stock DC5 a slow car if you compare it to most things on the road i.e VXRs, STs etc and is quite a lot older at that.

Think I am just going to stick with an exhaust system because everybody loves a little bit of noise now and then. :)

Kpro in the near future and the final drive might not be a bad idea either! Other than that I'm just keeping mind relatively stock and well maintained and looked after.

dave c

400hp K20
Exactly that, as you say a stock DC5 is a very quick car out the box.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't do it again, I love the drama of an exhaust and some of the induction kits sound truly awesome when accelerating.

I think the point i'm trying to make is that:

1. Breathing mods on an already incredibly efficient engine - doesn't yield much gain.
2. and that 10-20... even 30hp gain will not result in your car being that much faster in terms of actual acceleration. You won't be driving away from a stock equivalent, you will be edging away slowly

Going off topic here really but I would focus on handling, braking, maintenance and as you say, just looking after it.

Putting a Kpro on is a no brainer if you have the cash spare as they hold their value for resale and you get better fuel economy while you own it. Win win

beppe786

Beppe
dave c said:
I've been in a DC5 for years now and over that time the car has been in various states of tune.

Looking back I think I've had maybe 5 x different cat-back exhausts, 2 x inlet manifolds, 2 x exhaust manifolds, 2 x induction setups and even 2 x turbo kits oh and a kpro :)

So to answer the original question, with £/per bhp in mind on a naturally aspirated integra I'd say stick with the stock airbox.

I've also done a couple of comparison tests before and after with various "performance" mods and the same result, although the figures on a dyno might be different by as much as 10hp, in the real world. There was no real difference in performance on the road.

My conclusion is that in order to make any sizeable difference in actual "acceleration", you need a hell of a lot more HP (like 50hp minimum for example) to even notice the difference and we all know the easiest way to do that is to force the induction with boost.

I would argue that the difference between a 220hp intergra and a 250hp integra would be so marginal on the road that its an absolute waste of money when you think what you have to pay to get your bhp there.

As others have said its all about the sensation and driving experience. So if you want noise and theater by all means get your mods on and choose them to suit your preference but if you are looking for £/per hp leave it stock and get a final drive installed.

Or get your wallet out and boost it :)

my 2p
spot on...

DC5RS

DC5
Dont make me go OEM please :xaiweb6:
But why i feel more torque on the car with the AEM v2 intake? Its not placebo i am sure. Also the tegiwa intake feels better o high rpm rather than OEM

Linus27

Advanced Member
Bit of a thread revival but had a thought if keeping OEM airbox. As with changing the OEM filter to a better one like Do-Luck or K & N, is it worth changing the intake pipe for a silicone one? For say £50, is this small amount to pay going to improve the efficiency of the air flow at all or is it going to make zero difference and be purely an engine nice to look at item?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
As above pain in the bum

I am replacing my mugen for a gruppe m today and have a red samco one coming off and replacing with a black one will look to sell with the mugen kit but if no ones interested I'll split the hose from the intske

Gordon

Linus27

Advanced Member
Gordon,

If you decide to sell separate, then let me know as I could be interested. Thanks :)

Mark_teg

Staff member
Teegwa said:
As above pain in the bum
I am replacing my mugen for a gruppe m today and have a red samco one coming off and replacing with a black one will look to sell with the mugen kit but if no ones interested I'll split the hose from the intske
Gordon
Doesn't Natalie want the Mugen Gordon? As I beat her to the last one ;)

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
No she's decided against modifying right now :(

No worries Linus rather sell mugen kit complete with it it means direct replacement for new owner but will let you know

Mugen kit now off now to fit new scuttle and gruppe M ;)

Gordon