oil catch can setup

dc5_on_tour

So many different ways,what is the right one tho...if you do it wrong it can effect the engine.i was just gonna run hose from valve cover to the tank and put breather filter on the other side.would that set up be ok

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Apparently more oil is caught if it is filtered from the tube on the left front side of the engine. Not sure the name of the valve but it's the short tube connected to the intake manifold on left side.

Rom

Advanced Member
PCV valve is the valve down by alternator. It feeds pressure / oil vapours into inlet manifold.

I've done a lot of reading on this. I've still not committed to running a setup. But I won't be touching the cam breather, only the PCV one.
If memory serves me right, the cam I e also acts as the fresh air feed, needed to vent the crank case.

There is some very in depths test on some us forums, with people measuring pressure / vacuum etc.

kazmo

Advanced Member
no, not wrong, is up to you what you do to your car, i just don't see any benefit from doing this..

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Oil in the air/fuel mix would likely reduce the ron slightly (might be minimal) so it would in effect be reducing the potential power that could be made.

beppe786

Beppe
Rom said:
PCV valve is the valve down by alternator. It feeds pressure / oil vapours into inlet manifold.
I've done a lot of reading on this. I've still not committed to running a setup. But I won't be touching the cam breather, only the PCV one.
If memory serves me right, the cam I e also acts as the fresh air feed, needed to vent the crank case.
There is some very in depths test on some us forums, with people measuring pressure / vacuum etc.
ran same setup when my was supercharged like you said oil vapors from waterpump breather are fed back into maifold to be burnt away.. i had to empty out oil once a month.. always thought if no catch can could definitely been affecting afr.. everything helps to get tuning spot on.

Rom

Advanced Member
Cars are designed to meet emissions, not outright performance.
Venting breathers to atmosphere is illegal, which is why every production car vents them in inlet / air pipe.

You will see benefits by running a proper catch can set up. Not one you just think looks nice. You have to do the homework, learn how the original setup works, how the engine was designed.
Bottom line, feeding oily dirty hot air back into your inlet for the engine to use, is not as good as fresh clean cooler air.

Obviously the amount of air is small, but we all spend time and money on filters, trying to get best air feed etc.
So the logic of dumping that dirty air back in is counter intuitive.

I will run one, only from the PCV to a can, which has an oil separator in it, then vents.

The top breather serves more good than bad. Providing the clean air to the engine, which is what the entire breather system is setup to use. Clean air in the top, helps push the dirty crank case air out. The PCV is a positive pressure valve, so won't let air back in.
The top can also vent air out, at certain conditions. Mainly top end high rpm I think.
So in all reality, on a road car, it won't see pro longed high rpm like a track car would. So leaving it in place is fine.
Some people stick a breather straight in the cam cover. This will spit oil eventually so isn't advised.

Whether the effort is worth it, is debatable. Short of seeing dyno runs, it's all conjecture.
But I will run one, when I can be bothered to find a nice solution.

Rom

Advanced Member
dc5_on_tour said:
So is what I was goin to do wrong
Yes, it is wrong. Or at least not the best way.
My posts should have covered this and explained how the system works.

I will say, this is from my research, mainly the tests carried out by some awesome guy on club rsx I think it was.
Who actually attached a pressure gauge to the top breather.

Do some reading on PCV systems, and you will understand it better.

dc5_on_tour

Thanks guys I will look into it more,I didn't think it would be as awkward to find the right way of doing it.i have seen pics online of track cars just running pipe from valve cover into a normal bottle and thought I could do the same but with proper catch can and breather filter.the catch can im going to be using is the greddy can

cmhshek

Advanced Member
I've been looking into this also, but I'm not 100% sure what's the best way.

As I understand it, there's open and closed?

1) PCV to catch can with a breather and block off the IM?

2) PCV to catch can to IM?

Justintian

Advanced Member
It's the 2) pcv to oil catch can then to IM, some people also run two ins one out on the catch can so you can add a connection to the top crank case. But a pipe from top crank case to catch can then to breadth pipe won't do anything for catching oil... It's the pcv you need catch.

Rom

Advanced Member
I won't be running back to inlet at all. I'll separate oil in the can, and run a filter to atmosphere. The air is still going to be warm and dirty, just a bit less oily.
Not air I wamt back in the engine, especially not straight into the manifold.

I'll be leaving the cover to run as intended.