Options for quieter exhaust?

Linus27

Advanced Member
My DC5 currently has a Spoon 2-1 manifold, Spoon b-pipe and Spoon N1. For track days I swap the back box over for the OEM and it makes 94db. The thing is with the Spoon N1 fitted, it sounds lovely but it is a bit loud for everyday use, especially when cold in the mornings. On the other hand, with the OEM back box fitted, it's too quiet and I miss the noise.

Is there anything inbetween that I can use with the Spoon b-pipe and Spoon 2-1 or is getting a custom back box my only option? It would be nice to just have one back box that I can use on track and as a daily that's not stupid loud but gives some noise.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Mugen Twin loop isn't overbearing on a daily.

I'm in two minds to go back to standard, or go louder to drown out Road noises.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Could put the OEM cat / 2:1 back in, and run it as a cat back. Mines fine for a daily, yet still nice when you want it to. Would it be a noticeable drop in performance? I doubt it would. Probably is on paper though. :)

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
MUGEN Twinloop is a good quiet exhaust with a good note to it.

I also have one for sale in the for sale section haha

The Mighty Clam

Funny, I was looking at getting a Spoon N1 & B Pipe, but I've been doing a lot of thread research and youtubing and I think it will be too loud and un-user friendly for me. I can thoroughly recommend the Kakimoto Regu exhaust that I'm running, sounds near enough oem when driving normally, mad on VTec and looks smart too. I'm pretty certain I'm going to keep mine now as it just does everthing I want at the volume I want and doesn't wake everyone up in mornings/late nights.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Love my mugen. More burble than ear ringing loud. Mine also has the b pipe silencer removed and is still a lovely noise.
Tiny bit louder on the motorway but no intrusive and i drive a lot most days on motorway and b road.

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
I can also suggest the kakimoto, has a Nice burble on startup, but is oem like when idling warm. Driving is Almost oem quiet, but when you really hit it, it makes an amazing turbolike roar that is extremely addicting

b18coupe

Advanced Member
I've got a RM01a on mine as well and won't swap it for anything, drove it 704miles last weekend with no issues of it being too loud, even the Mrs didn't complain which is always a win

RobS

Advanced Member
is the Regu not restrictive though or am I imagining reading that somewhere?

Chewy

Advanced Member
RobS said:
is the Regu not restrictive though or am I imagining reading that somewhere?
It's not as restrictive as OEM, but it's not the most free flowing exhaust available.

Regu is 2.38" bore I believe? were as most go for 2.5 or 3" were possible.

I believe there's a chap that lost 12BHP (Est.) top end, when changing to a Regu from a larger bore exhaust, but this was a FI application (JRSC I believe) so there was more to be lost, with a basic N/A configuration you wouldn't lose anything near that.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Chewy said:
It's not as restrictive as OEM, but it's not the most free flowing exhaust available.

Regu is 2.38" bore I believe? were as most go for 2.5 or 3" were possible.

I believe there's a chap that lost 12BHP (Est.) top end, when changing to a Regu from a larger bore exhaust, but this was a FI application (JRSC I believe) so there was more to be lost, with a basic N/A configuration you wouldn't lose anything near that.
At that time his car was NA Chewy.

beppe786

Beppe
mugen twin loop and mugen intake both people slate.. but look at the torque curve dyno result is with Tegiwa header as well... still lovely quiet tone from exhaust