Recommended or Preferred choice of Oil!

dan the man

Advanced Member
oilman said:
Suped said:
TGM slapped in Castrol Edge 10w60 in the last oil change and not looked back. :lol:
:shock: :shock: Why are you using this stuff? It is way way out of grade for these cars, high revving V-techs do not like thick oils, its just going to lead to premature wear, lower power and higher fuel costs.

No need to go any thicker than a good SAE40.

Cheers

Guy.
Hmm why do TGM use it then :| :|

andyd

Advanced Member
Since putting in 10w-60, the dc5 has not used any oil 8)

Where is with the 10w-40 it seems to burn it off like water.

Andy

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
andyd said:
Surely this is not as good as it sounds considering Vtec uses oil as part of the process :?

andyd

Advanced Member
oilman said:
andyd said:
Surely this is not as good as it sounds considering Vtec uses oil as part of the process :?
Car still feels the same and the MPG is more less the same.

Yea but

0-40 the car burn it off like petrol :lol:

5- 40 little better but it still used silly amounts

10 - 40 It still uses more less the same as 5w - 40 may a little less...

10 - 60 its not used a drop 8) well may be a little 8)

I know Honda engines use oil for the VTEC to work, but using 1lt of oil a week was getting silly!

Andy

gregb

Advanced Member
oilman said:
andyd said:
Agree and i am quite happy to be topping it up,i would be concerned if i didn`t have to.
Using Motul 5-40 always.

Well i manged to get hold of 4 x 25l and 3 x 5l tubs of Vauxhall 5w 40 oil ( Made by Shell ), for £60 :wink: 8) Grabbed it on staff discount before i left, as its used in my Turbo, Should that be ok for my DC5 ( when i bloody get one LOL )

Thanks

Brett

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
V - Tec Tastic said:
Well i manged to get hold of 4 x 25l and 3 x 5l tubs of Vauxhall 5w 40 oil ( Made by Shell ), for £60 :wink: 8) Grabbed it on staff discount before i left, as its used in my Turbo, Should that be ok for my DC5 ( when i bloody get one LOL )

Thanks

Brett
Funnily enough,my son works @ a Vauxie garage and he got me the same deal..its fully synth 5w40..I`ve used it since I got the car a year ago and in between oil changes(every 5k) the engine has hardly used any oil at all,maybe a 1/2 litre every 3 1/2 k miles..more than happy with it :wink: