[REWARD!] Knocking/Humming sound from front suspension

Mark_teg

Staff member
Sorry to mirror what everybody else has said, but take it to TGM! Tom also knows how to drive it ;)

I was going to suggest grooved brake discs, but from what you've said it also does it when you are off the brakes..

Tyres droning?

James-T

Advanced Member
Cheers Mark.

Last time I took my EP3 to TGM for suspension knocks (+ other stuff), Tom didn't seem too fussed about diagnosing it. So I left with a decent sized bill and it was still knocking. That's why they weren't my first choice this time.

It's not tyre related as it definitely feels like something is loose when suspension is compressed.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey James. I know people keep telling you what to do, but take it to Stevie at Grinspeed. He's brilliant and him and Lee are sound lads. Might be a bit far for you that's the only thing.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
try brosport instead of area mate, the garage is actually run by brosport where area is based and they do 90% of areas work for them.

they are also sound lads and competitively priced!

James-T

Advanced Member
Cheers Ceri, I've not tried any bushes yet. Maybe that's the road I'll need to go down - a full suspension bush refresh with coiliovers. I know after all that, I'll still have the knocking LOL

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Re check the front ARB's. Mine looked ok until I took them off!

Honda had passed them in previous MOT's and they were ok. But when taken off you could see and feel how worn they were. New genuine ones in and the car feels so much smoother over drains/potholes etc.

Worth a double check.

On a side note, I feel your pain about garages!

Adam

James-T

Advanced Member
I've been out and had a quick look this evening. My half shaft seems to have free play - is this normal? I didn't manage to get under to give it a proper shake around the bearing area, but it definitely moves in and out about 2mm, making a clonk sound..

dave7368

Advanced Member
miki1212 said:
they're interested in money, so you had to still pay them even though they couldnt find anything wrong?
take it to somewhere who is more accustomed to working on DC5's they have probably come across the same problem before,as said before, if there is one...
maybe someone who works on Jazz and 1.4 civics all day with complaints from their 78 year old owners saying the parking sensor isnt working wont know much about it anyway..ha...
haha.....

James-T

Advanced Member
dbrown504 said:
Have you looked at your motor mounts? My bolt backs out sometime.
Yeah I checked front and rear engine mounts last night, along with the driveshaft/halfshaft bearing.

Only seems to happen in high engine revs too....strange.

Booked into TGM Thursday now as I'd like it sorted for my trackday Friday! (dave7368 will be pleased)