Shell to launch their latest fuels in the UK

davidpingu

Advanced Member
So I went to fill up on my usual helping of Vpower this morning and overheard the staff saying that Vpower was being replaced by Nitro.

I heard no mention of dates but did a Google on Shell Nitro and found some interesting info.

The new fuels are already in use in the Philippines as well as a few other places but there are 3 main products:

Nitro+ for premium unleaded
Nitro+ racing to replace Vpower
Nitro+ diesel to replace their current Vpower diesel.

The main difference in the fuels from what I've read is better cleaning agents and the use of new friction modifier technology to unlock more engine performance.

What I'm really interested to know is whether the octane will be increased. I think we may finally see a 100 octane offering from shell or perhaps more?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Yeah I heard about this too on another forum. Be interesting to see how different it is. Hopefully not too much more money either!

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
as long as its not one of the fuels the eu is trying to get in with 10% ethanol in..

Brockstar89

Advanced Member
Could this mean people need to remap K-Pro and such like as the fuel could possibly have a different chemical make up?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Marketing launch is supposed to be on the 18th of this month. Availability of Nitro is early May I believe

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
Big lolz just reading the hype on other forums about it being 102 RON interestingly some are saying its just a rebrand

If it ends up being 102 and the price the BP stuff was no one will buy it.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Remember when V-Power was called Optimax? That was only a few years ago. Perhaps it is a re-brand. I'm going to use it whatever they call it.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
Yeah I heard about this too on another forum. Be interesting to see how different it is. Hopefully not too much more money either!
Found this in the blurb for the Phillipines = The Shell V-Power Nitro+ fuels will be on the same price range of its predecessor Shell V-Power and Shell Super premium fuels, said Que-Ang.

But were in rip off britain, etc, etc, etc.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Tuning companies are gonna make a loooot of dollar if this stuff requires a remap :xtsk:

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
It won't require a remap, you just won't see any extra benefit if it is actually a higher Ron, unless you did have a remap of course.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
It won't require a remap, you just won't see any extra benefit if it is actually a higher Ron, unless you did have a remap of course.
I'd have thought you'd get a bit. Most cars run on higher octane fuels show an immediate increase all be it small but then perhaps it depends on how much the ecu can adjust timing to suit.

If nothing else the friction modifiers should help too reduce drag too.

As said above I'll pay what I need to for the best fuel. Shell fuels are always excellent and I always think a car run on the cleanest fuels will cause less problems down the line. The extra few pennies spent buying the higher quality fuel pays for itself eventually in my opinion.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Not this friction reducing rubbish again ;)<br /><br />Dave, when on throttle with kpro I believe it follows the programmed map parameters (exact fuel, cam timing, etc) so the ECU won't adjust anything.<br />Cleaner burn maybe, It'll be a good thing for sure! I bet it'll stay at 99 Ron though..

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Not this friction reducing rubbish again ;)<br /><br />Dave, when on throttle with kpro I believe it follows the programmed map parameters (exact fuel, cam timing, etc) so the ECU won't adjust anything.<br />Cleaner burn maybe, It'll be a good thing for sure! I bet it'll stay at 99 Ron though..
What took you so long :D

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Even part throttle on kpro uses set tables for cam angle/ ignition and fueling, with the exception that the ecu adjusts for +/- fuel trim

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
Its marketing rubbish.

It will no doubt have more bio based addatives in it to comply with new emissions/sustainability regulations.

I've not read the media crap yet, but it'll be like the "fuel save" rubbish. Hype to sell more fuel.

To note, 102 from Gulf was just under £3 per ltr. Good luck selling that to the general public!

itrsarg

Advanced Member
Sticking with tesco 99 nothing wrong with that, fuels fuel at the end of the day what ever its called :)