shock at the cheapness of 01 dc5's

wilko2010

Advanced Member
darquinn2006 said:
Its madness man!

defiantly a buyers market these days in ireland anyway
Defiantly is a buyers market these days, when i went looking at dc5's about 3 years ago a 01 dc5 was going for 18 k +
Madness

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
i paid 12.5k for mine just 18 months ago, i would not like to see what i'd get for it if i was to sell it now

Stoo

Whining.....
The exchange rate harmed re-sale years ago.

I bought my first DC5 for £16k in 2006, sold it less than 1yr later for £11k......

dave kil

Advanced Member
that's sickening as I'm actually trying to sell mine at the minute.

I'd be a small bit weary though of cheap dc5's to be honest.

larz

Advanced Member
Yeah the market has really collapsed for them :( sucks if you have one, rocks if you're buying one... Lots of really really cheap ones cropping up in Ireland... If i was buying now i'd steer clear of 01 or 02 because the cheaper ones are more likely to have been mistreated... Mine's a 02 and i think i'm very lucky with it...

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
larz said:
Yeah the market has really collapsed for them :( sucks if you have one, rocks if you're buying one... Lots of really really cheap ones cropping up in Ireland... If i was buying now i'd steer clear of 01 or 02 because the cheaper ones are more likely to have been mistreated... Mine's a 02 and i think i'm very lucky with it...
mine is a 02 aswell it was a fresh import when i bought it and tbh i dont think i will ever sell it

it is to much of a good car to let go for silly money i'd rather hang on to it than sell it to some fool that would only destroy it

Stoo

Whining.....
larz said:
Just because a car is older or cheaper, it doesn't mean is been mistreated....

larz

Advanced Member
Stoo said:
larz said:
Just because a car is older or cheaper, it doesn't mean is been mistreated....
of course not, but if you see how some people drive and treat their high performance cars here you'd be shocked... They don't even bother to clean them most of the time, not to mind check the oil. I drove 7 of them when i was buying mine... Mine stood way out from the crowd... The rest seemed dead and old compared to it...

Aly

Advanced Member
To be fair, the cars have done enough miles to circle the world atleast 3 times. Prices are fishy even with the miles..

Stuart_M

That 3rd one looks ok for 5k, reckon you could get a good years worth of depreciation free motoring before they drop to that sort of price level over here. Anyone know whats involved in getting it onto UK plates from over there...would it need the full SVA treatment etc?

oregato

Advanced Member
Bought mine over a year ago for around €12k it was spotless and a fresh import.

Any car could have been ragged by the old owner, it's always a risk when you buy any of these cars.

I know a fella that gives his M3 full beans in the morning as soon as he leaves his house, madness :shock:

As for the sale price, I'm not too worried for myself, the car is a more of a weekend treat for myself and I don't get to use it every day. Which means that when I go for a spin in it, it still puts a smile to my face.

What I'm wary about, is the fact that these low prices could entice the image of, the Glanza/Civic/AE86 brigade. Now, I've nothing against the cars I've mentioned, in fact, part of me still craves for a Glanza Turbo as a run about, but the image that is tarred on these cars is really bad.. All down to the minority.

Insurance can be a problem for some people with these cars which could also lead to people having/wanting to sell up.

jay82

Advanced Member
seen a few over the last while, been selling parts here and there
haven't seen one that i'd turn around and go that car is mint. sold a guy my standard exsaust and he told me he got the car for 4,900euro and it was 02. it was in bits paint missing on the rocker, interior looked like a dog slept'd in it for the 9years of its life, and couldn't see a straight panel and it was raining and the car had less milage than mine. so the way i work it out is to get the car mint would cost you 5000+ without concidering the engine isn't hinding anything. which one thing i spotted was the dc mani and no mappable ecu in here
also he said to me he owned 5 of them before that one and it's the cleanest one he ever got :shock:
my point is theres a lot of cars that have been true the wars here in ireland and i'm very surprised flo hasn't made its way here yet :lol:
oregato said:
What I'm wary about, is the fact that these low prices could entice the image of, the Glanza/Civic/AE86 brigade. Now, I've nothing against the cars I've mentioned, in fact, part of me still craves for a Glanza Turbo as a run about, but the image that is tarred on these cars is really bad.. All down to the minority.
still very hard getting insured on one so might get a another few years before we get the dirty looks

gregb

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
Aren't DC5's in Ireland cheap in general?
They are alright,there is just too many on the market and they are a very hard car to insure for the people who really want them.

I put mine up for sale yesterday at E8.950,it's a >little< optimistic but it has some aesthetics going for it :D

I went for an 03 myself last year and if i was in the market again it would be the year i would be aiming for *Cough* :xyes: