Side light bulb

S

stwteg

Ciarandeery1 said:
Hsha typerich, I wasn't being a knob, and stwteg your right lol southern drivers are bad (not all), they can't understand roundabouts in derry, I fear for my life
(Not all) nice save I'm a southern driver and have to agree with you- most Irish drivers haven't a clue what to do on a roundabout! Indicators all over the place and as for the correct lane- it's really just a free for all just close your eyes and hope for the best

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Ciarandeery1 said:
Hsha typerich, I wasn't being a knob, and stwteg your right lol southern drivers are bad (not all), they can't understand roundabouts in derry, I fear for my life
ha no bother man, I was cranky just haha...

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Noticed today my drivers side side light (the top one) is very odd, made up of little squares, 90% no longer lighting up, anyone know what these are and/or where to get them?

Thanks

Mark_teg

Staff member
carl hammond said:
Noticed today my drivers side side light (the top one) is very odd, made up of little squares, 90% no longer lighting up, anyone know what these are and/or where to get them?
Thanks
The little squares are the LEDs. They are 501 bulbs, Halfords etc sell them.

Be careful with eBay cheapies, they don't last.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
The little squares are the LEDs. They are 501 bulbs, Halfords etc sell them.

Be careful with eBay cheapies, they don't last.
Thanks mate I'll get some tomorrow (ones ok but I'll do both)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Went to Halfords to buy new sidelight bulbs but the ones I got that they had do not fit?

This is what's in the car and I thought the above would be a less light version,

Anyone have a link to wherevto buy the one used from oem as the ones I brought won't fit the bulb holder for my car?

adamamuk

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi all,

Went to Halfords to buy new sidelight bulbs but the ones I got that they had do not fit?

This is what's in the car and I thought the above would be a less light version,

Anyone have a link to wherevto buy the one used from oem as the ones I brought won't fit the bulb holder for my car?
I think I can see why the Halfords ones won't fit as the ends of the body (the wedge part) looks to short to fit into the bulb holder itself.

I'd say your one looks like an eBay special so that's probably your best bet for a similar replacement.

You will however probably find they start to flicker/a few of the smd's give up sooner than you'd expect.

This is the reason I've gone back to standard oem 501 bulbs.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
They are just 501 wedge bulbs. Any petrol station will have them for a couple of quid. They will be halogen.

If you want LED so the colour matches the HID, I recommend the PIAA 501, and im currently running the Osram LEDs. Cheap ones will start to flicker after a small while or just stop working. ( which yours have)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I think I can see why the Halfords ones won't fit as the ends of the body (the wedge part) looks to short to fit into the bulb holder itself.

I'd say your one looks like an eBay special so that's probably your best bet for a similar replacement.
This is actually the issue, the Halfords ones won't fit as the ends of the body (the wedge part) is too short.

Does this mean I have the wrong bulb holders? I would prefer to get proper decent bulbs but when they are too show how can I, how have the rest of you done it ?

They are just 501 wedge bulbs. Any petrol station will have them for a couple of quid. They will be halogen.

If you want LED so the colour matches the HID, I recommend the PIAA 501, and im currently running the Osram LEDs. Cheap ones will start to flicker after a small while or just stop working. ( which yours have)
Hi mate

How can I get them to fit as the ones I got (as said above are too short) to fit the holder?

Thanks

carl hammond

Advanced Member
halfords do a better version that the one you bought, yours are only 60 and they do a 200 lumens one

these
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-501-w5w-led-car-bulbs-x-2

i fitted some this past weekend.
Oh they did not have these in my local Halfords and when I asked if they had anything like mine they said they don't. May have to order on line, can I be cheeky and ask you to measure the wedge bit that slots in for me so I can check they will fit as the ones I brought were the best they had in but would not actually fir the bulb holder due to the wedge being way too short to clip in.

Thanks

nellly

Advanced Member
they fit dc'5 if thats what you mean its a tight one though but they do go in.
They are a lot longer than the ones you originally bought.

i can check to night but they do fit fine

carl hammond

Advanced Member
they fit dc'5 if thats what you mean its a tight one though but they do go in.
They are a lot longer than the ones you originally bought.

i can check to night but they do fit fine
Thanks for confirming mate, I will order some to my local store as they don't stock them :-(

adamamuk

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
This is actually the issue, the Halfords ones won't fit as the ends of the body (the wedge part) is too short.

Does this mean I have the wrong bulb holders? I would prefer to get proper decent bulbs but when they are too show how can I, how have the rest of you done it ?

Hi mate

How can I get them to fit as the ones I got (as said above are too short) to fit the holder?

Thanks
They're definitely the right bulbs and bulb holders, it would just seem the wedge part of those particular bulbs is very short for some reason.

You do get a sort 'conformity click' when the 501 bulb is fully seated in the holder itself.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

p1tse

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:

Might need a set of the piaa ones as the garage replaced mine with a set which are a bit blue for my liking.

I thought I had a dodgy connection but it was the light itself

p1tse

Advanced Member
Has anyone any links to piaa 501 ones, struggling on my google searches

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all, so I brought the LED WHITE W5W 501 SIDE LIGHT BULBS from ebay following form the original post and ones as expected started to flicker and die so wondering what bulbs you all have (links if possible) as bored of them going now lol.
Link to similar ones to what I brought before http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-CAR-BULBS-LED-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-13-SMD-XENON-WHITE-W5W-501-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB/282054061678?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=581000761629&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The normal 501's did not fit (this type for an example as the wedge bit was too short for the DC5 bulb holder/housing)
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-501-w5w-car-bulbs-x-2?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Bulbs,+Blades+and+Batteries-_-Car+Bulbs-_-181461&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=lwmrla&istBid=tzwl&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:865692955|agid:43902123815|tid:aud-297219197929:pla-328957932643|crid:202397318151|nw:g|rnd:11456177207775352044|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9045133&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0KzY3by71wIV5BbTCh1_awihEAQYASABEgIqWfD_BwE

So anyone got a link to some that actually work and last as I can't find any that are the correct (longer) fitment for the housing by a good brand. The Halfords ones are £15 a pair which is fine but I wonder how long they will last also ?