Votes: 12 42.9%
  • RRC

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • SKUNK2

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Vindots

Advanced Member
Guys, Ive been searchin in google and there are heaps of thread regarding this comparison,

Now, I would like the real TYPE R DC5 owners to voice out if which one you guys would prefer? im in the middle of decision at the moment, budget is not an issue as long as it will satisfy me with its outcome..

Some thread says that RBC is better than SKUNK2 and RRC?
Some thread says that SKUNK2 is better than RBC and RRC?
Some thread says that RRC is better than SKUNK2 and RBC?

enlighten me please..

replies are appreciated!!

cheers!

dotty

Advanced Member
For performance per £ you won't go wrong with an rbc. If you're feeling flush pm Paul hughes and purchase the rbc and 70mm throttle body that
Buddyclub do

Rob R

Advanced Member
I asked this on CTRO the other day. http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=241964

Few threads there to get your nogging round

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member
The RRC seems the best for a non built engine. (just bolt on) same with the RBC (best bang for your buck) but the skunk2 is already ported for a 70mm throttlebody and has wider walls for more modifacation i.e bigger throttle bodys and seems to out peform both the RRC & RBC when runnig cams etc. it also comes with its own thermal gasket and is a straight bolt on piece with out adapters for throttle bodys. its a personal choice to wat you have planned and what you want to spend

RBC for the money

RRC for the better gains bolt on

Skunk2 for the gains on both bolt on and cam work + ported for 70+mm throttle body

George K

Advanced Member
Try this link

http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/sstp_1002_k_series_intake_manifold_shootout/blueprint.html

I have recently gone from standard (PRC) to RRC, very carefully mapped by TDi North and there are small gains across the range- the main thing is that it helps the bottom end as well as the top end.

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
i would buy the Skunk2 just for the looks. =~ It is such an awesome piece to sit under the bonnet

Rob R

Advanced Member
In summary the Skunk 2 and RBC give the same gains at similar RPM and the RRC slightly edges both in terms of gains through the entire rev range

paul hughes

Intake Manifolds do not add power, they only allow more or less flow in CuFt/min to take place, The ability to make power is already there inside the engine.Add more fuel (easy) and the ability to get more air in at atmospheric pressure but at the correct gas speed (maintained GS very impoortant), then compress it to its optimum combustion pressure and get it out of the engine as quickly as possible and there is your NA power.

We have tested normal unported RBC manifolds and produced 280-285bhp but had problems getting more than this out of them. We developed the Buddyclub 70mm RBC and 70mmTB for Time Attack because we knew that there was more power available from the engine due to the torque drop off (or Gas Choke) at higher revs between 6-9k the highest torque of 218 ft/lb was at 5k, when we had finished testing the 70mm RBC/TB product the best we saw was 305bhp from the same engine on the same dyno.The torque was also more stable throughout the 7-9k rev range and rising.
We then tested ITB's on the same engine and the result was very close but with approx 10bhp more power between 5k and 8k but the power tailed off to just under 300bhp at 8.5k. We can only put this down to the resonant wave frequency being perfect for the Buddyclub RBC and tuned length intake pipe system, as you would have expected the 50mm ITB's to make more top end power as well.

With this NA configuration it allowed us to out drag Forced induction cars at the end of the staights because our corner exit speed was very much faster than the Turbo and Supercharged equivilent vehicles due to the useable torque entering the corner and being under full power exiting the corner. effecivley making our straights up to 40 yards longer than our competitors.

Regarding normal std high mileage engines without cams, we have seen over 250bhp at TDi with BC modified RBC and 70mmTB, we have Never seen this with any other Manifold. Dont know if any one else has but it would be interesting to know.

Hope this helps your cause :)
Paul H.
Buddyclub Europe.

paul hughes

Rob PM'd.

Below is our CNC Modified RBC compared to a std RBC or RRC....

below is our CNC Billet true 70mm TB compared to a std one.

Below is design detail of integrated rubber seal (no gaskets or goo needed which can block essential airways in the TB :)

Incorperating CNC Anodised Aircraft grade Alloy body, stainless steel shaft and brass butterfly, with Original Honda bearings and seals to eliminate uneven tickover, All in All properly designed engineering that has been proven to work with people on this forum getting 250bhp without cams or pistons or going into the engine at all. This exact product gave 305bhp on our Time Attack DC5.

Happy tuning folks :)

Vindots

Advanced Member
pm me for some price too Paul (for that throttle body and manifold, if you dont mind sending it here in New Zealand :)

Silvermike

i've got an RBC, i/h/e, k-pro. Ive managed to swqeeze 250bhp out of the setup on 92oct. What sort of gains i would expect to see with the addition of the BC RBC and the 70mm TB?

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
Intake Manifolds do not add power, they only allow more or less flow in CuFt/min to take place, The ability to make power is already there inside the engine.Add more fuel (easy) and the ability to get more air in at atmospheric pressure but at the correct gas speed (maintained GS very impoortant), then compress it to its optimum combustion pressure and get it out of the engine as quickly as possible and there is your NA power.

We have tested normal unported RBC manifolds and produced 280-285bhp but had problems getting more than this out of them. We developed the Buddyclub 70mm RBC and 70mmTB for Time Attack because we knew that there was more power available from the engine due to the torque drop off (or Gas Choke) at higher revs between 6-9k the highest torque of 218 ft/lb was at 5k, when we had finished testing the 70mm RBC/TB product the best we saw was 305bhp from the same engine on the same dyno.The torque was also more stable throughout the 7-9k rev range and rising.
We then tested ITB's on the same engine and the result was very close but with approx 10bhp more power between 5k and 8k but the power tailed off to just under 300bhp at 8.5k. We can only put this down to the resonant wave frequency being perfect for the Buddyclub RBC and tuned length intake pipe system, as you would have expected the 50mm ITB's to make more top end power as well.

With this NA configuration it allowed us to out drag Forced induction cars at the end of the staights because our corner exit speed was very much faster than the Turbo and Supercharged equivilent vehicles due to the useable torque entering the corner and being under full power exiting the corner. effecivley making our straights up to 40 yards longer than our competitors.

Regarding normal std high mileage engines without cams, we have seen over 250bhp at TDi with BC modified RBC and 70mmTB, we have Never seen this with any other Manifold. Dont know if any one else has but it would be interesting to know.

Hope this helps your cause

Paul H.
Buddyclub Europe.
Skunk2 IM, stock throttle.....

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Great read and awesome info from Paul, I also contemplated going for the skunk 2 inlet but now have a bc rbc and throttle body ready to fit so in read to the above I can't wait to share my results.

Vindots

Advanced Member
yeah mate, post up your results, its very helpful for reviews like this thread.. :)

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
I just ordered a RBC intake manifold yesterday and i was told if i install it without mapping it would run very lean and cause damage when hitting vtec? Think i should wait until i get Kpro and than put it on. Mean while i will take the manifold to a local engineering work shop and get it ported.

Vindots

Advanced Member
I dont think that will happen.. it would probably run a bit lean, but not tooo lean..

Sgtscotty182

Advanced Member
Hopefully Paul Hughes is still on this..... if so any chance of a PM for a price on the BC RBC mentioned above.

I have been studying almost all bolt on mods for the DC5 since buying last year and i am finally in the position to go for a forced induction set up but the last peice of my massive puzzle is what manifold to get. The above sounded very tasty.

Look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks