Solid Fabrications 3" Track Exhaust DC5

Midnight

Advanced Member
Before I start, I'd like to say that I'm sure some members have had parts from Solid Fabrications with good and bad results. This is solely based on our experience / findings. If yours works, great. If yours doesn't work, sorry to hear that. This is our experience...

To start, my brother got his partner to Facebook message Solid Fabrications for a performance but track friendly exhaust.

Within minutes she got a message back with the 3" track friendly exhaust and the off the shelf cost.

We wanted a bit of an angle and titanium tip, so addition £50 to the standard cost.

A week later and it arrives. What a piece of art it looked. Welds were perfect and the look was great.

Noticed straight away that it was MUCH heavier than the Kakimoto. In fact I'd say double the weight which we didn't expect.

Fitting:

No gaskets were supplied however Area MS fitted the exhaust and everything seemed to be ok.

However (the exhaust comes in 3 sections) when they were installing the rear section it looked around 3" too short.

Fully fitted it anyway and brother collected it.

Area MS have an engineering company they use who can extend and correctly measure the exhaust to fit better on the DC5.

So the decision was made to keep the exhaust, getting it rolling roared and get it extended so you could see the titanium tip.

Today the car was at EFI Parts (Runcorn) who originally mapped the car 4-6 weeks ago. They mapped it the best they could with the Kakimoto and also today mapped it with the Solid Fabrications 3" track friendly exhaust.

I'll let the graph overlay do the talking:

As you can see an additional 29.9bhp has been gained with a map with the exhaust.

So clearly the performance aspect of the exhaust is on point.

Fitment: In truth I think the exhaust is specifically made for the EP3 and not the DC5. Not only is the tailpipe 2-3" the middle section (silencer) hits the DC5 tunnel which creates a really tedious noise.

Performance: Yes we gained 29.9bhp however I'm not convinced that another exhaust like the RM01A wouldn't achieve those results. I think the power increase shows that the Kakimoto on our set up was EXTREMELY restrictive.

Sound: Drones really bad 3000-5000rpm when cruising on a motorway. I'd say it's MUCH louder than the kakimoto on start up and hasn't got the distinctive sound the Regu offers. It sounds ok but like any other car with a large exhaust now.

Weight: It is a heavy exhaust, in fact very heavy however I think that's because of the material used and should last the life of the car. So can take positive as well as negative there I guess.

Overview: I think the really annoying thing is that the welds and off the car the exhaust looks beautiful so when it's not fitting the DC5 correctly just comes down to a mistake or laziness on Solid Fabrications behalf.

If it fit correctly I'd score the exhaust 8/10 due to performance and the workmanship (looks) of it. The fact it doesn't fit and drones really bad for something that is specific for track a 4/10 is realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mebz

Advanced Member
Another good review .

How loud is it? Would you say it's actually track friendly?

I was thinking of going down this route myself along with one of their manifolds. Not sure now.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hi, not sure on your review because your happy with gains.. the exhaust looks and works great but because YOU havent had it fitted right your giving it 4/10..

A lot of people know me on this forum and i run full solid fab system and do maybe 10 trackdays a year.. and i can say this exhaust for the price is a great system.

as for the drone.. what exhaust did you have on before .. cause ofc if you have gone full system or cat back from stock yes it will sound louder on the motorway.. but remember they are not building a motorway exhaust they are building you a performance track exhaust .. so ofc it's louder on normal roads. On track and full chat you will love the sound of your car.

My car is stripped out and i really dont have much drone and on track, it sounds how i want it to be.. like a touring car.. :) great system as far as i am concerned .. 9/10 only reason i will give it 9 .. cause i had to wait so long for a great system. :)

Mark

Midnight

Advanced Member
It is loud. Took us by surprise, as even though it's 3" it has 2 HUGE silencers. It's not so much the outright noise, it's the drone which is ear numbing.

It should get on at Oulton. But stricter circuits you'd have a problem I would have thought.

We was going to go with a big bore manifold, however the with the poor fitment of this I don't think we'll bother. Although most reviews regarding their manifold seem really positive.

That's what makes me think we were just unlucky and either they rushed, made a mistake or they simply don't offer a review.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
Another good review .

How loud is it? Would you say it's actually track friendly?

I was thinking of going down this route myself along with one of their manifolds. Not sure now.
I have been on lots of tracks in the UK and apart from bedford (who are seriously anal on sound) i have never had a problem.. and tbh i think my problem is the CAI not the exhaust that is loud.

trust me, get one you wont be disappointed.. ..if your london bound come and listen and feel mine and Iam sure you will want one. ...

Mark

Richie200

Advanced Member
Nice review. I thought the Fujitsubo and the Regu have the same diameter of 2.38 inches compared to the 3 inch of the SF. Which makes me think it‘ll be a similiar result you originally had if went for a Fujitsubo in the future.

Only reason I ask is I have a Regu at the moment and potentially looking to change if the real world gains are noticeable.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Mark,

I'm guessing 'YOU' totally ignored the first part of the post. I'm happy you have had good results however I'm offering an unbiased view. We have nothing to gain or lose with an honest review...

Area MS fitted the exhaust. You don't like how they fit them even though I've uploading pictures showing you it's a poor fit, clearly take it up with them.

However the drone is ear numbing, if you're in to the whole McDonald's crazy loud exhausts then it's perfect. We have the catback version which replaced the catback Kakimoto. However we've owned enough exhausts to know what is loud, quiet and unacceptable. I guess it's personal preferance however the drone is VERY loud.

Track exhaust or not. The fitment issue is completely unacceptable to be called 'good'.

Power gains have to be taken with a pinch of salt I feel. Chris another member on here who we bought the RBC, manifold and ecu from had his set up around 235 I believe with a RM01A so is the SF one really that great at performance?

Like I stated, glad you're happy with yours. I'm just offering an unbiased view on our own findings with nothing to gain or lose by telling the truth 👍🏼

Unnamed_warrior said:
Hi, not sure on your review because your happy with gains.. the exhaust looks and works great but because YOU havent had it fitted right your giving it 4/10..

A lot of people know me on this forum and i run full solid fab system and do maybe 10 trackdays a year.. and i can say this exhaust for the price is a great system.

as for the drone.. what exhaust did you have on before .. cause ofc if you have gone full system or cat back from stock yes it will sound louder on the motorway.. but remember they are not building a motorway exhaust they are building you a performance track exhaust .. so ofc it's louder on normal roads. On track and full chat you will love the sound of your car.

My car is stripped out and i really dont have much drone and on track, it sounds how i want it to be.. like a touring car.. :) great system as far as i am concerned .. 9/10 only reason i will give it 9 .. cause i had to wait so long for a great system. :)

Mark

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
i have their big bore manifold.. i am N/A 249 bhp.. and very happy with the mid pull..

are you sure the fitting isnt just the person that fitted it .. cause i know when i got mine fitted and never had any noise.. but i had to get the gear box out for a change of sycros.. and since its been put back together i get rattle on my bumper that wasnt there before..

Midnight

Advanced Member
Richie200 said:
Nice review. I thought the Fujitsubo and the Regu have the same diameter of 2.38 inches compared to the 3 inch of the SF. Which makes me think it‘ll be a similiar result you originally had if went for a Fujitsubo in the future.

Only reason I ask is I have a Regu at the moment and potentially looking to change if the real world gains are noticeable.
I believe the Kakimoto is around 2.15" and the RM01A around 2.5".

I also think the kakimoto tailpipe must be restrictive in the baffles. However never cut one open to find out so only a guess.

They sound, feel and look great though 👍🏼

Midnight

Advanced Member
Unnamed_warrior said:
i have their big bore manifold.. i am N/A 249 bhp.. and very happy with the mid pull..

are you sure the fitting isnt just the person that fitted it .. cause i know when i got mine fitted and never had any noise.. but i had to get the gear box out for a change of sycros.. and since its been put back together i get rattle on my bumper that wasnt there before..
Mark,

Yes, I'm certain. You can see from the pictures it's short by around 2-3" you think any other person fitting it would be able to pull that from thin air? If it was the position inside the back bumper you can adjust the hangers however this is short at the end and the large center silencer hitting the tunnel and giving a vibration sound into the cabin.

I feel you have a very biased opinion as yours is working and looks well (I guess).

I'm offering an unbiased view of our own findings with nothing to gain or lose as already said we'll take the hit in money terms to get it adjusted and keep the exhaust.

I've also shown it offers performance increase over kakimoto. So been as unbiased as possible. Trying to pick holes in our findings I think is a little poor show in truth...

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Unnamed_warrior said:

Unless the person who fitted it chopped a few inches off I don't think it's down to the fitter

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
I do understand your views.. but i dont think you should rate someone 4/10 because you got a performance exhaust that is to loud for you on the motorway.. .. take it on track and have fun.. you wont noticed any noise but the greatest of the car :)

Richie200

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
I believe the Kakimoto is around 2.15" and the RM01A around 2.5".
I also think the kakimoto tailpipe must be restrictive in the baffles. However never cut one open to find out so only a guess.
They sound, feel and look great though
On most websites they state than they are both 60.5mm main pipe diameter, but as you say the baffles on the Kaki may be more restrictive. Either way, car is looking great and a good insight on the SF exhaust.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Unnamed_warrior said:
I do understand your views.. but i dont think you should rate someone 4/10 because you got a performance exhaust that is to loud for you on the motorway.. .. take it on track and have fun.. you wont noticed any noise but the greatest of the car :)
Offering 4/10 as it simply don't fit. Regardless if that's the motorway or track. It doesn't fit! If it was just the silencer hitting the tunnel I could kind of understand as it is 3" and needed to quiet it down a small bit. Fact it's short is just poor in truth.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
This is just my opinion, if you're getting a custom exhaust done the person carrying out the work needs the car there to test fit and make sure the fitment is bang on.

Unless the exhaust is CNC cut and bent I'm afraid you're never going to get a perfect fit without them having the car. My RM-01A fitted perfectly and sits well and I won't ever be changing it.

While no doubt the exhaust looks brilliant and the performance gain is quite clear, they need to probably realise they can't just knock up an exhaust and ship it out without taking measures to ensure perfect fit every time.

Midnight

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
This is just my opinion, if you're getting a custom exhaust done the person carrying out the work needs the car there to test fit and make sure the fitment is bang on.

Unless the exhaust is CNC cut and bent I'm afraid you're never going to get a perfect fit without them having the car. My RM-01A fitted perfectly and sits well and I won't ever be changing it.

This was our initial thinking, however Solid Fabricarions state this is an 'off the shelf' part and is there 'bread and butter exhaust'.

So while I do agree the car should have been there, the fact we got told it's an exact fit (or similar worded) we thought it'd be fine.

Don't get me wrong. It looks amazing and the workmanship on the welds are amazing. But it does seem it was EP3 specific or ours was at the very least...

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Unless the person who fitted it chopped a few inches off I don't think it's down to the fitter

book it in to Alan at Soild and get him to fit it proper.. cannot really say more than that. but Midnight you have a nice system and if the drone really is that bad for you.. get Alan to make you a bung.. take it out once at track.. if your doing trackdays..

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
This was our initial thinking, however Solid Fabricarions state this is an 'off the shelf' part and is there 'bread and butter exhaust'.

So while I do agree the car should have been there, the fact we got told it's an exact fit (or similar worded) we thought it'd be fine.

Don't get me wrong. It looks amazing and the workmanship on the welds are amazing. But it does seem it was EP3 specific or ours was at the very least...
I'm not having a go at you mate more SF. They're claiming it's a perfect fit when it isn't, simple as really.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Unnamed_warrior said:
book it in to Alan at Soild and get him to fit it proper.. cannot really say more than that. but Midnight you have a nice system and if the drone really is that bad for you.. get Alan to make you a bung.. take it out once at track.. if your doing trackdays..
If it's a perfect fit exhaust, surely anyone can fit it?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Mark, I think you are focusing too much on the noise. The drone we can live with. As you've stated it's a performance exhaust with large I.D so I guess it's comes with the package.

It's not as easy to just take it back off and ship back to 'Alan' as it was already off the road while the exhaust got made. We can't have the car off the road another week while it gets couriered around and rectified.

It's not a problem us spending £50-£60 to get another small length put on just before the tailpipe which should solve the fitting bumper correctly issue.

We've just offered our own findings so people have an unbiased view when looking at exhausts. There are MANY good reviews on the SF and I'm sure it's just a slight mistake on there behalf but like us, some may not have the time/ability to just send it back for mistakes 😔