Solid Fabrications 3" Track Exhaust DC5

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
I‘m glad I‘m not the only one about the rm01a, midnight quote is what I thought, “The cars I've been in with the RM01A have no distinct note.”

Fits well, throttle response was good and power was clean throughout Rev ranges; but I found it a bit characterless on standard mani. I thought it would be too loud as had (personal opinion) drone at certain cruising speed

@ crazyleg. Interesting you think the kaki isn‘t as nice up the Rev range, as that‘s where it excels. Off VTEC it‘s suppose to be near oem in decibels.
Does your b pipe have the rear silencer still in?

Just back from being out and gave the car a little blast and the mugen intake and twinloop with decat mani is decent and wouldn‘t want anything louder for sure
It's hard to explain bud.

Low revs in any gear and it sounds lovely, it's actually started doing some lovely little pops, bangs and cackles now since it was remapped which sounds good.

As above it kind of burbles along, possibly one of the best sounding exhausts I've ever had for pootling around but to me it's loud like 'tinny' loud, it's a very echoey sounding exhaust. It's not droning loud but more as though it's ready to explode at any time loud. My old custom 2.5" system seemed quieter but it was boomy and my dad defintely thinks the Kakimoto is quieter than the old system but I don't see it.

Mine is mated to a decat and Tegiwa Manifold so that could be the reason why it seems to be 'louder' so to speak. I've yet to hear how it sounds from outside the car but I will do that in due course. I certainly don't seem to get the famous 'whoosing' noise at high revs like other Regu 06R systems do, or if it does then I can't hear it from inside the car.

It's also farty when you come off the throttle at high revs. Say if you're nailing it in 3rd, 4th or 5th then take your foot off the throttle, it sounds horrible and raspy but not a nice raspy but that's the only complaint I have about this exhaust. Does that make sense? It could be the baffles have gone or are on their way but apart from that it's a beautiful exhaust. It certainly seems well built, the blue tip is gorgeous and the system seems light and does kind of stay true to the Honda engine tone most of the time.

Jimmer said:
If I had the wedge it would be a Toda Catback Dolphin tip system for me, probably the best sounding system you can get for these cars I reckon.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
A) Wouldn't fit an exhaust without a map. At EFI I seen exactly how bad AFR can be out by just swapping the catback exhaust. I can tell you now the statement 'If you'd of drove that hard on track the engine wouldn't be in one piece now' was one of the shocks from trying 3 exhausts.
So if I swap a 2.5" catback for another 2.5" catback it would still need a remap? or at least a tweak?

B) No matter what these suppliers are saying the RM01A isn't as light as the Regu. Probably one of the reasons the RM01A tend to last longer.

C) If you want a fit and forget exhaust. Simply get the RM01A and be done with it. No way would i order another SF 'off the shelf' exhaust and have it posted. I'd have it made on the car for a 100% fit. But it does drone and adds weight.
I will speak to Alan later and see if he can supply and fit it for me as the other option is keep the DC on for now until I can maybe go for a sull SF mani back and sell the complete DC back system, will have to weigh up the odds.

D) Clearly you're not chasing every last bhp so the 3" SF is redundant anyway. Why add weight and add the possibility of *damaging the engine? Sounds crazy! *Without map.

You're trying to find a product that's DOES NOT exsist. You can't have the very best performing exhaust while not adding drone/weight/etc. Equally you can't have such an amazing sounding exhaust like the Kaki without taking a hit on performance. (If that performance if noticeable is arguable).

The RM01A does everything well. But nothing exceptional. Doesn't fall apart, doesn't drone, doesn't add much if any weight over OEM and will free exhaust gases.

Hope this helps
Not looking for the best of everything, if I was going to consider a turbo or charger going forward I would 100% go SF, the issue I have considering SF is the issue you had and I don't want to risk one that's not fitted there and then to ensure it mates perfectly to the DC manifold I have and sits 100%. The RM01A I have seen and heard is a great system, never heard one in person and online video's don't really help but it gets great allround reviews and I thought it would be a fit and forget and no need for a map as it's the exact same bore as the system I have now, will have to check with Romain on that as if the car needs a map I may have to leave the system until I am back from holiday so I can get it mapped also.

The main goal is future proof the car, tracks are only going to get stricter on noise so the quieter the system the better imo and this is imo better than power gains as no point having power you cant utilise on track as you're constantly having to lift off or run a bung :-(

Midnight

Advanced Member
Carl, me personally yes.

People forget it's not 'only' about diameter it's about air flow.

Imagine having a 300mm straw. Make a few zig zags and blow through it. Now use that exact same straw and make it straight again and blow. Radical example but routing can be equally as important as diameter when gases are trying to escape.

After a filter change I'd have the map looked at, after an exhaust change I'd have the map checked. Maybe a bit OTT to some but I'd rather spend £100 and a hour of my day than spend ££££ on a new engine build because AFR were dangerous.

Again this is a severe case, but I've always been one to try and prevent rather than fix afterwards.

RM01A seems the safe bet for you. 👍🏼

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Carl, me personally yes.

People forget it's not 'only' about diameter it's about air flow.

Imagine having a 300mm straw. Make a few zig zags and blow through it. Now use that exact same straw and make it straight again and blow. Radical example but routing can be equally as important as diameter when gases are trying to escape.

After a filter change I'd have the map looked at, after an exhaust change I'd have the map checked. Maybe a bit OTT to some but I'd rather spend £100 and a hour of my day than spend ££££ on a new engine build because AFR were dangerous.

Again this is a severe case, but I've always been one to try and prevent rather than fix afterwards.

RM01A seems the safe bet for you.
Thanks mate very good logic tbh. I have messaged romain as I may have to hold off, buy everything and then get it fitted at once and keep the DC on for now, had even considered having another silencer welded into it as the fit and noise is amazing it's just on the limit for me.

I will have a think and report back asap once all avenues have been confirmed regarding a map also as like you say better safe than sorry...

Torque GT

Parts Trader
I can confidently say that changing an exhaust without getting the vehicles map tweaked is NOT going to cause engine damage. I can understand being cautious, but the generally accepted point at which a map is advised is after fitting a decat and header. Even then, I've seen plenty of K20's running for years and without issue having had both of these fitted.

Fez

Advanced Member
Why not get a 2.5" solid fab exhaust? (Or any other size) Lighter, less drone, custom so you can have it looking/sounding like you want? He doesnt just do one exhaust, hes a custom fabricator.

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Why not get a 2.5" solid fab exhaust? (Or any other size) Lighter, less drone, custom so you can have it looking/sounding like you want? He doesnt just do one exhaust, hes a custom fabricator.
Exactly what I have done. The SF system was a work of art so Im having him build a true 2.5" system for the EP3. Same great workmanship just none of the drone (I hope)

Midnight

Advanced Member
Torque GT said:
I can confidently say that changing an exhaust without getting the vehicles map tweaked is NOT going to cause engine damage. I can understand being cautious, but the generally accepted point at which a map is advised is after fitting a decat and header. Even then, I've seen plenty of K20's running for years and without issue having had both of these fitted.
Prepared to offer a full rebuild ‘if‘ one was to ever fail due to AFR being that bad from exhaust swap? 😂

Not saying it ‘will‘ damage an engine. I‘m saying it‘s possible. Especially with mapped cars already. Most try and extract as much power from the current modifications that an exhaust swap to a less/more restrictive WILL send AFR to a dangerous point. I guess this can be applied to OEM to a very performance orientated exhaust too.

I‘ve seen many people cross the road. That doesn‘t mean accidents do not happen. Again, rather an extreme example but I‘ve seen first hand how bad AFR can be out from a simple catback exhaust.

I don‘t dare say people have done this in the past with 0 effect or 9/10 people will/can happily swap an exhaust with next to little effect. What I do say is that people using the car hard or track use for sake of £200 why wouldn‘t you get the map checked at the very least. 👍

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey guys, been looking at Alan's 3" systems and I messaged him on FB the other day about the 3" super silent dolphin tip Titanium system that is made off the shelf - the £700 one.

Although I've mentioned I'm happy with the Kakimoto even after the remap, it sounds bloody awful off throttle and the raspy farty noise is getting on my nerves, so I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these systems.

Now I asked him about the fitment following the issues a member above has had mating it to an aftermarket manifold, mine is running a Tegiwa Race decat and he says it will fit fine.

Do people agree? I'd be ordering this for delivery so it would have to fit spot on with no issues otherwise I'd be screwed, he did ask me what manifold it was and that normally they're built to attach to the OEM manifold but he seems confident it will fit no problem.

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
Nope, first one was on a Skunk2 mani, then i sold it as i was selling the car and my mate fitted it to his 5 to a Toda mani, neither of us had issues. Alan knows his stuff and if he is made aware will make it to fit the mani you use.