Sorting, tidying and cleaning...oh my!

martinj46

Advanced Member
The second gear crunch is a pretty common problem, but the oil change will definitely improve things. You'll find that it's much worse during the winter/colder months

Getting everything freshened up is a great start to any "new" car purchase

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
I did it myself at my folks house (big driveway and garage door to work under as it was raining.).

I have done almost all my work on all my cars myself as its usually not hard and as long as you know what to expect (rusted bits etc) it doesn't take that long.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Hi folks,

Been away a while as was getting bowel surgery so been a bit useless for 2 months. Now back on my feet and the teg is clean once more after being unable to wash it for 5 weeks :S.

Main plans now are to sort the exhaust as it has a notifiable small leak at the back, its an aftermarket back box but standard pipes I think, so sourcing an OEM back box just now as the rasp is starting to piss me off a bit on longer journeys :) and I'm an OEM whore.

Other bits to sort are getting the drivers side seat back re-upholstered, looking for an upholsterer just now as the guy I used to use has retired, and I cant do this myself as it needs material cut and machined.

About to get the wheels powder coated RAL 9001 (closest to champ white) as they are in a sorry state with chips and cracks in the original paint.

Once wheels are off its rocker cover getting re-done in original wrinkle finish red and OEM badge replacement, but most of this will be after june when I will be more cash flush.

Lots to do but glad the longer days and drier weather has appeared, yet still freezing up here!

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
Glad to hear your on the mend. Please share if you find an upholsterer. I have a tiny tear i need sorting :/

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Hi folks, during a clear out of my HDD i found a link to my restoration of my DC2 on detailing World.

Its a fair read. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=126795

Looking to do something similar with the DC5, progress started, got rear drop links, Engine mount and OEM exhaust coming.

Lots to do...now thinking about re-bushing the whole suspension, and re trimming the recaros properly.....

scottj15

Advanced Member
Good read that, What a transformation! The 5's coming along nicely too, look forward to more updates xthumbup

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Finally got some stuff done on the Teg.

Cheers to many on here for selling me bits n bobs :)

Main job was removing the aftermarket back box that was blowing and fit an OEM setup.

Was simple enough, the old exhaust was held on by an M10 bolt and 3 nuts...for some reason.

When the box came off it revealed a brick of exhaust gum...which had set rock hard, so much swearing and chipping with a blunt wood chisel and hammer got it back to original metal. The old bolt snapped taking it off and I had visions of drilling out the nut, however turns out the previous guy had used a large nut as well as the 2 small ones, giving it a tap with a hammer popped the bolt out :) Happy days!

So the new Doughnut gasket went on, a smear of exhaust paste and bolted it back up with the new shanked bolts and springs.

I also changed the old rear drop links, they weren't bad actually, but at least that's all 4 of them done now, front and rear.

Car is much quieter now but sounds crisper, not that farty noise. The back end is also a lot less soft, no more squirming about. :)

Next job is putting headlights back to OEM, which will be a fun job with wiring! :S

This is all that was holding the old box on:

New setup:

Also gave the car a wash, but when i say wash, i mean shampoo and 2 buckets, car is still 'filthy' proper detailing needs doing, but need a dry weekend.

Getting there.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Nice update.

Drop links are on my todo list as Honda said they could do with being changed on the rear. Was it an easy job? They look quite accessible.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
It is and it isn't.

The threaded sections turn in their socket so you need an allan key in the hole in the end to stop it turning and then remove the nut.

The problem is that after time the bolt becomes corroded and the nut wont come off and as its all turning it can be a ballache.

I use a grinder with a thin cutting blade and just be very careful to remove the nut or cut through the nut\threaded bit then knock the bit through the hole in the anti roll bar\lower arm etc.

Its a bit fiddly getting into the lower bolt\nut as there is a small angled plate covering it which makes access tighter.

There is lots of room so easy to get too, just fiddly if it doesn't want to come off.

The drop links i got were blue print, part numbers are on here somewhere, the come off a small honda hatchback a Luna or something?

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Hi folks,

I am about to do the second big job to bring the car back to OEM: Headlights.

After a long quest I finally have all the bits I need to fix the headlights.

The main issues I am worried about are :

Rain!...but seriously I am married about checking the wiring, as the car currently has some Angel Eye affairs and the wiring has been spliced to use simple spade connectors to plug into the bulb connections.

I have a spare DC5 engine wiring loom that I can offer up and cut, connect and heatshrink the original wiring setup back together, but I am worried incase a fuse has been changed or a wire has been run somewhere and will cause issues if disconnected.

I have all the bulbs and headlight units, only thing I may be missing is a driver side headlight bracket if the aftermarket ones don't need them as I cant tell if they are still there with the bumper on, I have the passenger side one though.

Hopefully its just a case of splicing the original main beam plug connector on and removing the wires that go to high beams and pluggin in the HID ballast connector, which I THINK is actually still there.

Main thing is I hope its a dry day on Saturday so I can get this done as rents garage is rammed so can only hide under the door and lay it down on big sponge mats to protect the car.

Other issue is I still cannot work out what is causing rattles when the car goes over certain bumps or a very uneven surface.

Its worse when passengers are in the back. I have replaced the drop links and checked them, the exhaust is now OEM and tight, only thing I can think of is that the top mount of the suspension may be slack, as the noise is a sort of double tap clunk.

Only other issue may be the engine mounts are worn, but I cant see why that would only make a noise when the back goes over a dip?

Other issue is speedo seems to die and come back rarely, so I think I need to investigate the speedo convertor, hopefully easy to find and replace with an ebay one if needs be.

getting there.

SharpyDC5

Rick, just live 2hr away from you, up near inverness. your list was very similar to mine. I'll need to keep a eye out for you and the rest of the aberdeen DC5 owners when I'm in town.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Hi Folks,

Finally got round to re-fitting my old lights. Well a 2hour job beacame a 7 hour job when we found that a couple of connection plates and connectors that are needed to fit the H1 bulbs were not apparent on the loom or noted anywhere in the various discussion threads...luckily my old prelude had some that i was able to modify to get them working.

Other than that all went well, i redid all the old wring using solder and heatshrink covers to ensure a much better connection thatn the spade and tape connections the previous person had used.

Old connections

Soldered new connectors from spare loom:

New connections heat wrapped:

New wiring done

Success! (if the H1 bulb was the wrong one and had to tajke it all apart again to fit the new osram one...doh!)

It all still works and didn't go pop on the drive home.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
First sunny day of 2015 that was warm (21'!!) and got some work finally done.

I replaced the rear emblem badge and took the spoiler off and put on new sticky pads as the previous owner had removed the wind and just slapped it back on so it rattled.

Next up is rubbing down\grinding out the bonnet lip and treating all the rust then primer and NH-0 applied with detail airbrush and machine polish flat.

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
Thats an intresting rusting area. Everone should be careful when cleaning that part and treat any stone chips!

Rear badge looks ace

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Was there when I got the car, but only a little bit, but looking under the lip its obviously been internal and coming out, easy enough to fix, just a faff.