Spoon Facelift Springs Clunking

danr19

Advanced Member
Hello, I wonder if somebody can help...

I had some new Spoon springs fitted to my car a while ago and they've started clonking / clunking (or knocking - whatever the right term is!) quite a bit. It's very annoying.

Since then I seem to remember reading somewhere that they need a rubber sheath / tube fitting on the coil before installation to stop this from happening - much like what the OEM springs have I guess.

Is that correct? If so, where would I get the suitable part?

At the time of fitting it wasn't mentioned and it just didn't cross my mind as being a potential issue.

Many thanks

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I've posted about this a lot on this forum.

Don't get spoon springs for a facelift. They're too short for the dampers so move about. Get Eibach's or coilovers

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I've posted about this a lot on this forum.

Don't get spoon springs for a facelift. They're too short for the dampers so move about. Get Eibach's or coilovers
This ^^^^

Unless you get a set of Mugen Dampers as they are shorter and work perfectly and the PFL dampers and PFL spoon springs will fit on a FL car

I like Reggie have commented and posted a lot about this as I also ran Spoon springs (but on Mugen Dampers) and they were amzing and 0 noises this end due to the setup chosen.

danr19

Advanced Member
Thanks for both your replies - Yes, I saw both your comments after posting. I should have looked harder.

I hadn't seen any of this before buying them. The only info I had found was that Spoon were the only choice when fitting directly onto OEM facelift dampers - which doesn't appear to be true.

They feel great when the road is perfectly smooth. Any bumpiness though and it feels bloody awful. May be that's just because I'm getting old. Given the length / clunking issue is a known one I wish I'd been steered away from having them fitted.

I had Mugen Showa suspension on my old DC5 (with Mugen springs though) and that was pretty harsh. TGM always said a different set of springs would improve them for driving on normal roads.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
It‘s just coil slap, it will be fine with a rubber sleeve. Tein do them, Honda should do them or get some rubber hoses of old springs. It will cure the knocking noises. :) I have no noises and have had none nearly 5 years now.

Jack it up, wheel off, slide them on. Hardest but will be the totem coil into the seat of the strut. Own have a sleeve, but I‘m amazed nobody takes them off and swaps them over when swapping the springs over. Just laziness. But that will stop your noises. No need to change the springs :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
It‘s just coil slap, it will be fine with a rubber sleeve. Tein do them, Honda should do them or get some rubber hoses of old springs. It will cure the knocking noises. :) I have no noises and have had none nearly 5 years now.

Jack it up, wheel off, slide them on. Hardest but will be the totem coil into the seat of the strut. Own have a sleeve, but I‘m amazed nobody takes them off and swaps them over when swapping the springs over. Just laziness. But that will stop your noises. No need to change the springs :)
These are the things I removed from my old spare springs and fitted to the Spoon ones as a precaution

Reggie91

Advanced Member
The person who bought my spoon springs tried adding sleeves. It didn't solve the issue. That may reduce the knocking, but the clunking will remain...the springs are just too short for the damper. There's no way around that.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
We‘re the added where the coils turns progressive as well? Need them bottom and half way up. With the weight of the car on them they shouldn‘t move around, and it would have to be a pretty big hole for your damper to be fully extended for the spring to jump up and down in its position surely? Even with wheels on and car lifted I can‘t move my springs without considerable force. We‘re the shocks ok? I put used sooon springs on brand new oem shocks with sleeves in those positions around the coils and I‘ve never had a problem.

Another “clonk” noise can also be caused if the “top hat” if you wanna call it that, situated at the top of the strut below the top mount...it has small arrows to line it up. If that top hats been put on slightly different, over time with turning the wheel etc the top hat part will foul on the inner metalwork also giving a clunky noise. Seen this when I first fitted my old Teins, realised when taking them off. 5mm is enough to cause a suspension knock noise on bumpy roads. Gotta be worth a shout. Again, wheel off, Jack the front up and put your fingers around the top of the strut where it meets the body work. You‘ll soon see marks up there if it‘s been fouling.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
His was how John and I fitted them if it‘s of any use but maybe it‘s not as hey are to mugen dampers (shorter than oem) and pfl setup

Perfectly quiet at all times on and off track, literally 100% perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
His was how John and I fitted them if it‘s of any use but maybe it‘s not as hey are to mugen dampers (shorter than oem) and pfl setup

Perfectly quiet at all times on and off track, literally 100% perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Course they are perfect. My parts and I fitted them lol :D

Another set of Showa going for sale soon if you hear of anyone Carl.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Course they are perfect. My parts and I fitted them lol :D

Another set of Showa going for sale soon if you hear of anyone Carl.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
WhatsApp me details and price mate as if a few I know don‘t have them I could consider them for a potential plan :)