Suspension choices?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
It's nearing the time where I'm going to decide what suspension to put on my DC5. The car is used daily (it won't be next year) however I don't do any track-days and if I do I won't be trying to break any lap records as my car is my pride and joy. I'm veering over towards a spring set-up rather than coil-overs as I can't really justify the amount of money and I simply won't use them for what they were made for.

I've been looking at the Eibach Pro kit which consists of, springs that give a 25-30mm drop, rear camber arms and camber bolts. The price comes in at around £330. Then the cost of having it set up at a geo place. Has anyone had this kit fitted and any reviews? I've been told the original setup by Honda is really good so I don't fancy messing that up with coilovers.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Bilstein mate.
£1000+ on coilovers seems ridiculous for a road car or am I way off?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
RE Spirit said:
We also have Spoon Springs that give it a better stance :)
Are the spoons much better than the Eibach's? I haven't heard good things about the Spoons.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I went for Mugen Showa Shocks and Spoon springs over coilovers mainly at the time for price but also as my car at present is not a fully blown track only one. If I was to say fo 60+% track and 40%- on road then I would go Bilstein B16's but otherwise I think the setup I have is by far the best for stance and feel.

What bad things have you heard about spoon springs as I could not praise them enough, the car sits perfectly (which many have commented on), they are stiff but not harsh, absorb all bumps and make no noise, no bangs or clangs etc etc etc.

I fitted mine with the spring covers from oem springs so where they could under load hit one another wont as such, there wont be metal on metal so I to date have not heard a peek from them.

Eibachs sit a bit odd I have been told and see on here, to get the perfect stance (like spoon out of the box) if I remember correctly you need fronts form one set of eibachs and rears from another or something, something I believe otherwise is called reverse rake in other posts.

Personally if you can get Spoon springs then awesome (even on stock shocks, but if you can get Mugen showa shocks with spoon springs trust me you wont be disappointed

This is how mine sits from various angles on the mugen shocks with spoon springs. Total setup will cost you second hand circa £500, or spoon springs on own shocks looks perfect also Dave7368's silver DC5 is on this setup and looked great at simply Japanese (look at pics of it in the post under meets) :)

nails

Advanced Member
Mine came with bilstein b16's on it from the previous owner. Stance is great, handling is great, no noises etc. I am not going to track it so probably a bit wasted on me but hey ho :xhappy:

carl hammond

Advanced Member
nails said:
Mine came with bilstein b16's on it from the previous owner. Stance is great, handling is great, no noises etc. I am not going to track it so probably a bit wasted on me but hey ho :xhappy:
If my stays it will be tracked big time from next year, we should do a deal as I'd be wanting b16's lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Im on spoon spring, ride is height is spot on but i find it quite bumpy, mine also makes clunking noise at low speed.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Im on spoon spring, ride is height is spot on but i find it quite bumpy, mine also makes clunking noise at low speed.
Am I right in saying you have not installed the plastic covers then as this could be them knocking under load (actually hitting one another) in my build thread I show these being installed at the points the paint showed some impact on all springs and I have never had a noise from them. They are stiff, progressive springs are and they are for fast road / track use so will be bumpy compared to stock but not as bumpy as coilovers :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I did hear the Spoons can be noisy at low speeds but like you said in your post if you fit those plastic covers I should be Okay?

I doubt I'd spend the money on Mugen shocks as ideally all I want is the car sit a bit lower. The roads near me are appalling so I reckon I'd wreck coilovers.

I am after a better stance and I think the reverse rake would do my head in on the Eibachs. Would I be able to get some wheels that are ET48, 7.5J-8J in the arches on spoon springs do you reckon? As I'll be ditching the standard wheels.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I did hear the Spoons can be noisy at low speeds but like you said in your post if you fit those plastic covers I should be Okay?

I doubt I'd spend the money on Mugen shocks as ideally all I want is the car sit a bit lower. The roads near me are appalling so I reckon I'd wreck coilovers.

I am after a better stance and I think the reverse rake would do my head in on the Eibachs. Would I be able to get some wheels that are ET48, 7.5J-8J in the arches on spoon springs do you reckon? As I'll be ditching the standard wheels.

My car came with diff fitted wheels (cant remember the fitment but can check tonight and message you them, Sam on here (shifty89) had them off of me so message him mate, they were stance looked and he has mugen shocks and spoon springs also so you will be fine with that setup, yeah just remember to put the plastic covers form the oem springs on and you will be happy with no issues) and make sure everythings good tight and greased up :)

Linkl to Sam's cars thread page - http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/44817-shiftys-dc5/?hl=shifty89#entry448202 shows the fitment of the wheels he had off of me with the spoons etc

John green on here fitted mine with me and can vouch for them, amazing setup imo and good enough for track and road, actually makes my DC5 feel like my DC2 did tbh.

If you are local enough you can have a drive of mine to see how you feel and how it feels mate

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Just had a look and that stance is lovely, gives the car a really nice functional lowered height.

Where are you located Carl? Spoon springs look like a definite contender and look much better than the Eibach's.

What camber arms and bolts do people recommend to go with the Spoons?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Just had a look and that stance is lovely, gives the car a really nice functional lowered height.

Where are you located Carl? Spoon springs look like a definite contender and look much better than the Eibach's.

What camber arms and bolts do people recommend to go with the Spoons?

Hi mate I am near Maidstone in kent, mines on stock camber arms and bolts (I ordered eibach bolts and hardrace arms for the rear) but neither arrived in time for the setup so I cancelled the order and will only do them if I go to coilovers or feel the need after hitting the track with it but tbh it feels very well setup now and feels nice and tight with plenty of grip and no noticeable movement of the body even under load

C2AXG

Advanced Member
linh-dc5 said:
I'm with you on this one, I wish I had gone for coilovers from the off,
One day I will get some bilstein for the pure fact I like the ride height how I want it and the spoon spring/oem damper combo is abit on the bouncy side, also TGM installed mine without the sleeves from oem springs so there abit Clangy when steering on slow speed parking ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reggie91

Advanced Member
+1 for the above. I think spoon springs work well with a shorter damper, such as the mugen showa dampers.

I regret buying the spoon springs i had. After doing a track day I realised they're not the best so opted for coilovers.

So make sure you know what you want from the car before buying anything, otherwise you'll end up buying twice

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
I went straight from OEM springs to BC Coilovers as my daily so I can't really tell you my experience with the Eibach, Spoon springs - as I know many others as above has done already :D

Simonmaddock

Carl do you not have a camber kit on your can in the pics? I have a set of spoons I need to have fitted, I was going to get a camber kit but yours looks great and you say it drives great so I'm thinking I might not bother not. It's never going to be tracked or anything like that...