Tegiwa Carbon Airbox on Facelift 2005 DC5 & options?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
They're both great intakes, I'd recommend the Mugen if you're going track a lot as people have had issues with the Gruppe M. They're the intakes to go for as the rest have too many cons for pros.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Mardgee

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
They're both great intakes, I'd recommend the Mugen if you're going track a lot as people have had issues with the Gruppe M.
Really? I‘ve seen cars at Oulton, Cadwell, Croft and the ‘Ring all have no problems with the Gruppe M. That‘s worrying.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Mardgee said:
Really? I‘ve seen cars at Oulton, Cadwell, Croft and the ‘Ring all have no problems with the Gruppe M. That‘s worrying.
Chris got black flagged I think? I think most people let off down the pit straight so they don't get flagged. They are very loud.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Mardgee said:
Slightly worried myself, although I've seen and heard much louder intakes / exhausts than the Gruppe M.

Kakimoto may help us as that's the more discreet for the DC5 when it comes to noise.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Slightly worried myself, although I've seen and heard much louder intakes / exhausts than the Gruppe M.

Kakimoto may help us as that's the more discreet for the DC5 when it comes to noise.
Just lift off a little 😃

Midnight

Advanced Member
RE Spirit said:
I do like the J's racing.

But at £850 for second hand it's rather expensive considering its 2-4 years old. Although I'm guessing no real guide to how much they are worth second hand as they are pretty rare especially considering you can buy them new still.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
For the price of the J's you could have a Gruppe M/Mugen and an uprated inlet manifold which would make a difference.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Dotty' J's racing on his car wasn't very good for power at all.
My thinking would be the J's would be more effective with a Mugen front bumper. Having direct air from the front into the filter? Extremely expensive considering now 'real' world power increase though.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
You'd be better off spending the money on the inlet manifold and having the head flowed for power and having a ram style intake like the Gruppe.

anton1234

Advanced Member
The Gruppe m/tegiwa wont fit correctly with the oem strut, it is thicker and it connects to 3 bolts as opposed to 2 on the pre facelift meaning it bends over into the engine bay more,

It will go but you need to cut the scuttle closer to the centre line of car and it makes the intake not sit square in the engine bay,

Hope that helps

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
What he said ^. Can get it to fit but looks untidy, saw it on a facelift at a car show a few years ago, aftermarket strut will help.

However...ive been in and driven many tegs with various intakes, and preferred the Mugen to the Gm /Teg m too / open cone too. Fits perfect, its feed comes straight from the grill at the front, the design inside is completely smooth so nothing like a blinged up oem some would make you believe, and doesn't rattle around etc.

And as Chris stated, the members car I bought mh Mugen off a few years back had fitted it after taking off his Gm, and the Mugen made more on his map, also smoothed the throttle response. He much preferred it too.

Don't get me wrong for a quick blast they do give a very distinctive noise and sound ok, but if you want intake noise go for an open cone and its even better. with the Mugen there is noise, just not overly loud but it lets you hear the exhaust note alot better which I personally prefer.

I also read somewhere but im not sure how true this is... that the gruppe m scoop position isn't the best as its low pressure air that hight on the bonnet being used for the intake and not quite "ram air" as the design makes out? I can't be sure so if someone knows please correct me if im wrong. :)

Hope this helps, lots of intakes please people for different reasons. Hopefully you find one you're pleased with in the end, it may take a few swaps and changes to realise which works best for you.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I removed my TegiwaM because of air flow alone. The bumps on the mugen bonnet, they deflected air over the top of the scoop, so actually felt in real world quite stressed at high rpm.

As said before though, absolutely zero fitment issues on my face lift.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Grano

I have the exact setup you are looking at :xgrin:

Tegiwa Intake: Had for 4 years. Quieter than the AEM V2 I had before. Built to a price, as in the weave is super thin, but still looks new. How noisy depends on how you modify your scuttle, and the silicone intake pipe quietens it down a bit. The RRC manifold made it quieter still, don't ask me why.

Skunk2 70mm: Epic noise, not the best fitment out of the box, had to bend the hangers to get it just right. Loud...the supplied silencer quietens it right down but kills power. Had a nasty drone about 4k rpm, sorted with some sound deadening in the spare well, and a vibration dampener just before the rear resonator. Still looks like new after 4 years.

Skunk2 Alpha Header: Replaced the PLM header which was cracking and leaking around flex joints. Gained approx 7bhp from 7400rpm to redline. Fitment was ok, remove oil filter, bend one heat shield slightly, don't use the subframe hanger, use OEM gasket and ditch the crap donut gasket they supply for the EP3 one. Again, looking like new after 2 years.

With all the above dialed in I made 156kW at the wheels, which is about what stock evo10's make in this part of the world. After many hours getting it just right I love it the way it is. It will stay this way until a piston inevitably parts company with the crank :xhaha2: However, it's not my daily. Perfect for a Sunday, don't know if I could live with it every day...

Jvzr

Advanced Member
IV the rm01a and tegiwa m. The tegiwa m fits fine on OEM strut.

Mugen doesn't fit OEM brace.

Tegiwa m drowns out the rm01a alot though... lucky it sounds well

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

p1tse

Advanced Member
Jvzr said:
IV the rm01a and tegiwa m. The tegiwa m fits fine on OEM strut.

Mugen doesn't fit OEM brace.

Tegiwa m drowns out the rm01a alot though... lucky it sounds well

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Interesting read that mugen doesn't fit FL with oem strut brace

I know another member John here has had a few queries on engine height of FL versus PFL

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Interesting read that mugen doesn't fit FL with oem strut brace

I know another member John here has had a few queries on engine height of FL versus PFL
It 'fits' but it's resting on the brace.
I've got a mugen brace planned anyway :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk