The dreaded - 'What's it worth...?' thread

p1tse

Advanced Member
Interesting read. But as pointed above it's a niche market with limited supply of good ones, so premium goes up.

On paper at £7k you're right can get a lot more, but on paper again why in the right mind will people buy a dc5 when a ep3 is 90% (figure of speech for comparison) of the dc5 at double the value ; purely people want a dc5.

People choose a dc5 because they want and nothing compares, so market dictates. I would say on forum and selling sites they range from an asking price £6-8k regardless of mods and condition.

So I say with yours as is and good condition, someone might view it if listed on what you want at the higher end, but may take some time to sell.

Yes over time I've seen some people bag them at £5k (but in my eyes it needs £ks to get it up to a good clean example), but they need work, bodywork, wheels, taty inside and out. To the right person they might be able to do it cheap but average joe just wants the best they can get for their money without the issues. Same goes for housing, you can buy something done and ready to go, or you can have one which needs full works, those in the know and most important "time" to sort out issues are prepared to go for the lower cost options.

In summary if you stick your car on higher price and can wait for viewings and think that it's in a position to command the higher price, do it.
For those looking and buying I would recommend looking at a view which even stretches the budget, sometimes that extra £500 gets you a lot more, saves you time and effort and so well worth it. But if you're good with tools some bargains to be had and projects for yourself.

For these threads best look on our classifieds, other selling sites to give you a marker.

wantadc5

Advanced Member
I am big fan of DC5.....being honest, you have zero chance of getting 8.5k with 160k on the clock....

itrboi

Advanced Member
I'm having similar thoughts, although mine is on 84k (converted on import) and has only been in the country 18months. I would want no less than £7.5k (advert would be £8k) mine would be standard bar buddy club ball joints and spoon springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Havent read this in detail but I have recently sold mine so thought I'd offer some advice.

1) if engine mounts are ruining it. Then get mugen ones. They are stiff enough for aftermarket manifold but make the car much nicer
2) if you don't want to put back to standard then ensure you put up for 8-8.5k. I would say it's the wrong time of year to sell but if you hold out the right buyer will come along
3) if you are putting back to standard maybe advertise with and without modifications first so people see the value in buying modified and may save you some time
4) don't buckle to pressure of idiots low balling. These cars are holding their value if it's wwll looked after like yours
5) you'll miss it.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Again from someone who has recently sold theirs I would sell the modifications to leave you with an almost OEM car. People are funny and what might seem to you as the right modification won't be to another. Buyers will then have a good platform to start on the car and work their way up.

I sold a lot of my mods at a very good price and the car sold without advertising, but that's the power of this forum. If you have a good build thread or lots of pictures showing the hard work and money gone into it then people will buy. Yes it might be the wrong time of year to sell a car to some but to others this is a great time to buy. But hold out for a good price. As Tom said don't accept anything too low otherwise you might regret it. You will miss the car, unless you know what you are getting next and can set your mind on a new project.

Adam

MrRy

Advanced Member
Every car I've sold over the past 12 years I've been told by forums members of wherever I was that I've overpriced my car. Usually it takes a good month or maybe two to sell, but first to see always buys (every car I have sold to date) as they see mine on the forums and PH, they deliberate and go to view other cheaper cars, see they are shoddy, see some cars come and go, then they actually call me and take a punt at mine and then leave me with a deposit, super happy and eager to pick up.

I spend top dollar and never rush so that I only buy a good example as I plan to keep my cars for a while (3 years in April with the DC5), and I sell at the top end of the market because I know people will have a car that's always been kept in tip top condition mechanically and they will have no problems.

The market always changes, and there may well be times when yours may be the only decent one for sale in the area.