Ticky Engine

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Since an over rev I did couple of weeks back the engine has sounded ticky/tappy more noticeable between 2-3.5k rpm maybe just because exhaust noise over comes
Oil has been checked as that's a regular check for me and it's on the max as usual

I'm wondering whether the over rev has managed to disturb loosen the gaps or its something more serious like the chain or tensioner

Another question is do you know whether noisy valves is going to cause damage or can I just get done during next service?

Power does seem fine still so no other obvious symptoms other than a mildly noisy K!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Think a video would probably help here but just to actually hear how it sounds.

How bad was the over rev?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I have a similar sound but more of a hissy sound, cracked manifold maybe or hose?

Wish I had more cash so that I could fix every littly niggly problem, so frustrating.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Wingnuttzz said:
Think a video would probably help here but just to actually hear how it sounds.

How bad was the over rev?
It's one of those sounds where you tune into the frequency and always hear it driving but I seriously doubt a camera will pick it out tbh

If I open bonnet and try and hear it just sounds loud like every other k20 so hard to distinguish this noise really

Only real way is to hear in real life. CaLi noticed it straight away when he saw car last weekend

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to say. The over rev was pretty bad, I've never done it before in all the miles I've driven.

It went from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th :( lots of smoke out the back!

Car has been fine since and pulls as hard as always and with no smoke it's just the ticky noise has started

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
This has all happened a week before I'm due to do 2,500 miles around Europe on the Rico Rally too. Aaarrgghhhh!!!!!

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Hearing it in person, i thought it sounds similar to a teg with low oil when it sounds tappety

Mark_teg

Staff member
An over-rev will normally effect the bottom end first, but the knocking gets louder with revs when this is the case..

Could take the sump off and take a look if you want to be 100% certain, a must if the noise gets worse!

Hopefully it's not that though, check valve clearances maybe?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't want to disturb anything before my trip so I'm going to leave it for now as cat feels fine and noise isn't getting worse. First job when "if" I get back will be to get the clearances done for sure

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you cant just take the sump off, typically its not that easy, theres lots in the way (subframe for example)

usually if the overrev is bad the con rod stretches and momentarily goes slightly oval where it clamps around the crank, this can allow the bearing to move or spin around (term- spun bearing)

if this happens it can spell disaster and cause the engine to totally fail soon after,

as the bearing is no longer located , the little tabs get flattened off as it spins around then as the bearing is spinning it no longer gets lubricated and starts to pickup metal from the crank, then soon after that , you get a knock.

if you are very lucky (as i have been twice) the bearing can be replaced and crank / rod will be fine. .

I know thats not what you want to hear but if i were you i would call Tom and try and get him to look at it asap.

the rattle is normally heard just after you rev up, kind of on the run down

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Yes I'd get someone to check it mate.

Probably better sacking off your trip tbh pal just in case you do more damage to it.

I know that's probably not want you wanted to hear. :(

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Trip is going ahead so she'll either live or die. I'll keep you posted in my Rico thread! I want commission on bet takings to help rebuild costs lol :p

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
C&S Evo7 said:
I know thats not what you want to hear
not 4 days before a euro trip no... but hes been waiting years for the engine to go so he can build a monster ;)

R-39294

Find a way to measure your oil pressure.
If your pressure it's below 10psi at idle it's a problem.
You need to check your rod bearings immediately.
I believe Honda says that anything over 10psi idle oil pressure is normal.
If you are ok from oil pressure then i believe that you are running with bent valves mate for sure.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Valve clearances getting done next week so if it's still doing it then I need to check chain, oil pressure and valves :/ if its either of those it's head off so will be getting the full works!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I will get over sized pistons but only slightly maybe 2.1, will also stroke and increase comp. I'd like figures to be something close to Gordon (Teegwa)

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
I will get over sized pistons but only slightly maybe 2.1, will also stroke and increase comp. I'd like figures to be something close to Gordon (Teegiwa)

TEEGWA

Don't confuse me young man!!!

Be epic to see you get it monster built mate and going for 2.1 and company increase will defo see done interesting results.

What about a really special build? S2 crank, custom rods, pistons you know mortgage the house level build ;)