Toda A3 cams/springs

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Calling all A3 tegs

I recently had mine dyno'd with these cams and the results on paper were good at 270 but it does seem restricted in high cam despite the good hp figure. Low cam pulls well and seems to feel like the 190ft outputted on the dyno.

When Paul was mapping he said my intake and exhaust are really restricting the engine now and effectively has become the bottle neck whereas before with oem cams the SR intake and Spoon combo must have been a sweet spot as it revved very freely at the top and pulled well.

My question is what intake manifold and filter system and exhaust do you guys use with the A3s?

I've also noticed since the Toda cams and springs that the head is a lot noisier off load when revving when bonnet is up. This isn't noticeable when on load and driving so just wondered if you find the head noisier with the Toda head components?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

beppe786

Beppe
what intake you using.. i lost 10hp switching from aem long arm to gruppem.. my next intake will be injen or 3in custom with v-stack

also toda tegiwa mani is gone for a kiddracing header with 2.5in collector, should flow better

mapping on the big cam motor and supercharged is very similar loves valve overlap

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
K&n short ram :/ not ideal but worked a treat with oem setup, think I need injen 3" next! I used to have teg M but felt flat compared to pickup with SR

beppe786

Beppe
coyote_dc5 said:
K&n short ram :/ not ideal but worked a treat with oem setup, think I need injen 3" next! I used to have teg M but felt flat compared to pickup with SR

definitely try long arm injen, it has 3in piping and that cooler air will help.. SR intake feel good sucking hot air so need more fuel to compensate thats why feels that tad torquer

Rob.

Advanced Member
Spoon system was the restriction on mine, when changed to the 3" exhaust system with Toda mani & the 3" AEM long ram intake its still making power at the 9k limiter, Paul said if it wasn't for the oil pump he would up the rev limit further....

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Ok thanks Rob, well those mods are on the cards for sure and I've got an FD2 oil pump so assuming that is better I might be good for 9,000 too

Rob.

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Ok thanks Rob, well those mods are on the cards for sure and I've got an FD2 oil pump so assuming that is better I might be good for 9,000 too
I could do with more revs if I go back to Thruxton :) lol

There's no drop off in power at all on mine, in fact its still climing at the limiter ;)

Lunar Tick

coyote_dc5 said:
Calling all A3 tegs

I recently had mine dyno'd with these cams and the results on paper were good at 270 but it does seem restricted in high cam despite the good hp figure. Low cam pulls well and seems to feel like the 190ft outputted on the dyno.

When Paul was mapping he said my intake and exhaust are really restricting the engine now and effectively has become the bottle neck whereas before with oem cams the SR intake and Spoon combo must have been a sweet spot as it revved very freely at the top and pulled well.

My question is what intake manifold and filter system and exhaust do you guys use with the A3s?

I've also noticed since the Toda cams and springs that the head is a lot noisier off load when revving when bonnet is up. This isn't noticeable when on load and driving so just wondered if you find the head noisier with the Toda head components?

I've got A3 cams and springs on my FD2 with supporting mods. Makes 273bhp/186lb/ft on TDI N's dyno. I use a Hybrid (US) 3.5inch intake and JR Fabrications 3" straight through exhaust. The power climbs steadily until around 8300rpm and then flattens off (see solid line). I played around with intakes and exhausts but basically, the cams are maxed out on a 2L at this point. I'm now considering something a bit more aggressive/higher compression :)

Attachments