Toda Exhaust Rattle

Dan34

Advanced Member
C2AXG said:
Did it sound ok then after you re-packed it?
I think the wool is there to serve a purpose it also protects the wadding abit.
Sounds completely fine, better than before. Had it on for probably coming up to two years now since re-packing it and done a lot of trackdays and its given me no grief.

Dan34

Advanced Member
C2AXG said:
I thought you gave up with it and went custom..
That was a different issue altogether with the perforated pipe not the wadding itself in the box. Perforated pipe was rattling against the tip rather than being wedged against it, so I just cut down the tube. Had no issues with it since. I've only ever repacked the exhaust once.

Dan34

Advanced Member
C2AXG said:
Oh I see so you shortened the perforated tube slightly
Yep pretty much! So it no longer wedges into the tip. Not the best solution probably but worked for and hasn't rattled since!

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Dan was that rattle happening when you back off the throttle from circa 8-9k revs?
ive noticed a huge vibration rattle since having this toda on around these sort of revs only when back off the throttle lol.
suspicions is telling me its the pipe inside the back box touching the tip... now im realizing why that bloody wire wool was all in there especially around the tail pipe area...
i guess this is why you shortened yours...
sounds bloody awesome now though love toda sound.

Dan34

Advanced Member
C2AXG said:
Dan was that rattle happening when you back off the throttle from circa 8-9k revs?
ive noticed a huge vibration rattle since having this toda on around these sort of revs only when back off the throttle lol.
suspicions is telling me its the pipe inside the back box touching the tip... now im realizing why that bloody wire wool was all in there especially around the tail pipe area...
i guess this is why you shortened yours...
sounds bloody awesome now though love toda sound.
My rattle was really bad so did it at low and high revs, I'd recommend shortening it if you can. Yeah the sound is amazing I think, my favourite exhaust I think!

C2AXG

Advanced Member
ile see how i get on with it. lol atleast i know what could be causing it.
its ever so quiet in the cabin, more so than i remember, sort of makes you think its not making any noise outside but its growling away hahaha

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Can I just add to this thread that I purchased some stainless wool off ebay I think about 1m length by 2'' wide, I drilled the rivets again removed the tail pipe after it was rattling its tits off after re-packing with acousta fill wadding only...
the acousta fill wadding done exactly what I said on the tin, I only loosely wrapped the box and on removal of the tail pipe the whole box was packed tight.
to stop the rattle I wrapped the stainless wool round the end of the perforated tube ( the whole lot ).
you couldn't see the tube at this point at all.
I poked a small hole in the middle again and teased it apart ' slightly'
the end of the toda tail piece is tapered so it sits inside the perforated tube so the stainless wool acts as a packer between the tail piece and perforated tube.
riveted back up again and she's purring away like a content cat at all manner of revs.

DONT CUT YOUR TODA!

Hope this helps anyone who ever needs to re-pack a toda exhaust. :xgrin:

Indi

Advanced Member
Great guide guys! Just one question what size rivets will I need to rivet it back up once repacked? I'm looking at ordering all the needed material in time for the weekend as the Toda exhaust on my daily EP3 is so loud and has got the dreaded rattle.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I forgot to update this but i did get my rattle sorted. Took my car to Hayward and Scott who diagnosed a small rattle from the centre section and a small one from the rear. They quickly resolved it with a quick weld inside which stopped what ever it was that was rattling. They didn't need to take anything apart to fix this, it's been perfect since.

Nice cheap fix which was lucky as a driveshaft snapped the same morning.

With the toda the the middle box perforated tube does tend to come loose. Sometimes welding it from the inside fixes it for a while.

The rear box design is a little more of a headache. You can repack it like others have done and it does last a while but I have notice the rattle from the end plate and perforated tube comes loose over time.

Sometimes it's a very slight rattle but over time it becomes more pronounced.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Can anyone confirm the rivet sizes i need for the toda silencer?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C2AXG

Advanced Member
4.8mm x 6mm

I'm having a right headache with my toda at the moment.
The perforated tube in the rear box is split.
It's in for welding at the moment if this doesn't fix it I think I'm going to have to get another exhaust "third one" 🙄

I was hoping Alan at solid fab could make me up a 2.5 or 3" system utilising the toda back box 🤔
Failing that I'm gunna have to get another complete system 😪

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
He's an engine builder, I was sure I saw you mentioned in one of his threads for making him an exhaust, perhaps I'm just confused. :)