Torque GT

sheeraz19823

Advanced Member
Been speaking to Darren at Torque GT as my hunt for a DC5 continues. What a helpful and kind guy. Saw one on their website talked me through the whole process of importing costs and the car itself etc.

Well he gained a customer! Deposit being paid and ETA is mid November. Cant stress how helpful he was.

Now its the hard bit... waiting!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
He's a nice guy but beware when you're buying from them as I got shafted big time, car needed a timing chain which got diagnosed not long after buying it.

Torque stuck 4 awful cheap tyres on it obviously to get it MOT'd as well as the pads that were worn pretty much not long after getting it so I was out of pocked by £600 straight away, also needed an exhaust too so watch yourself.

If you know a mechanic take one with you to view before you do part with any of your money. I would like to add many on here bought from them with no problems but they're far from perfect.

Rom

Advanced Member
I think the thing to remember, is your buying an old, used car.

They offer a warranty. But it's an old car. It will have a fair bit that will need doing at some point. But no different than any used dc5. The only exception, would be ones which have already had the work.

They aren't buying the car, restoring it to showroom condition, then selling it.
They are selling you a car with 12 months mot, tax, and warranty.

I got mine from Darren. He's a great guy, always helpful, and I was happy overall.
Your paying a premium to have a fresh Import. It's what I wanted, rather than trawling around the country looking at private cars. Very few are perfect, if any. At this sort of age, there is always something needed, or past its best.

sheeraz19823

Advanced Member
And ive budgeted for anything that needs attention as mentioned these DC5's are getting old now! So its going to need some form of work. Il report back once i have it in my hands!

sheeraz19823

Advanced Member
Now that i think about it would i be better off being a 3rd or 4th owner of a DC5 but its had clutch brakes service etc done or be 1st uk owner knowing im going have to do the above at some point..
Confused!

Rob R

Advanced Member
I'm just about to pick my second car up from Torque - the first one was impeccable.

Bit unfair to say they shafted you, as said you are buying a second hand car so anything is possible. When I had (minor) problems with mine- through no fault of their own the after sales service Mike offered was second-to-none, hence me ordering a second through them.

James-T

Advanced Member
...and I'm picking up my 4th car from Mike @ Torque GT at the end of this month. Nothing but amazing service. Yes things do go wrong with older used cars, but his no quibble warranty really is outstanding - especially as you're able to modify the car too. I won't go anywhere else for my imports!

sheeraz19823

Advanced Member
So as a opinion what would you guys suggest?
Fresh import or a car already here but with full history and consumables already changed for new parts.

Difference being the amount of owners

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
sheeraz19823 said:
So as a opinion what would you guys suggest?
Fresh import or a car already here but with full history and consumables already changed for new parts.

Difference being the amount of owners
a fresh import will be fresh and not rusty.

there are an awful lot over here that have been looked after but they have still succumbed to rust..

There are a select few that have been kept in prefect condition and had consumables sorted.

you either take a chance and import a fresh one or pay over the odds for a pristine one already here.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Have to remember its a 2nd hand used car, whether you import one or buy any car for over here, its a used car which could need money spending on it.

Bit unfair to say they shafted you CrazyLegs, unlucky maybe.

What you are paying for is a rust free clean underneath car.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
He's a nice guy but beware when you're buying from them as I got shafted big time, car needed a timing chain which got diagnosed not long after buying it.

Torque stuck 4 awful cheap tyres on it obviously to get it MOT'd as well as the pads that were worn pretty much not long after getting it so I was out of pocked by £600 straight away, also needed an exhaust too so watch yourself.

If you know a mechanic take one with you to view before you do part with any of your money. I would like to add many on here bought from them with no problems but they're far from perfect.
Does warranty not cover pads and disc?
I have just had a look at the rear pads and the edge is quite rusty and even the pads seems to have worn uneven. Front pads aint so good either.

ste01

Advanced Member
You'd struggle to find any warranty cover the discs and pads wearing out or getting rusty!

Princey4

Advanced Member
I took my fd2 to tgm a month after buying it. Tom noticed the rear pads were low. He phoned mike at torque who happily paid for them to be replaced.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
None of you lot feel hard done by because it probably hasn't happened to you.

I don't buy this whole you're not buying a new car. At the end of the day these things should have been checked. They must have clearly known it had these faults and flogged it knowing full well the costs to get the relevant parts replaced and that is out of order.

They were completely unobliging when it came to helping me and literally took no responsibility. Selling pads that were pretty much completely worn, bad that is.

I forgot to add the collapsed £2000 Tein suspension which I had to replace. Whoever is checking the cars in Japan must have their eyes closed when they do.

I'm not made of money unlike some. I'm sure you can now understand while I feel I was shafted.

Rom

Advanced Member
Wear and tear parts are just that.
Brakes being low is standard. They can't be fitting brakes all round because they are 70% worn.
Especially when a lot of owners are going to update them anyway.

When you buy used private cars, they have the same things. Brakes can be low etc. The seller may barter the price. But they don't get it all done before sale do they!
And let's not forget, all used cars are over priced. You want 7k, you advertise for 7.5k. Buyer thinks they got a deal for knocking the price down a bit, you get what you wanted anyway.

Torque are an importer. They farm out the mots.
Mine had issues yes. A split balljoint boot. At no cost to me, they supplied me with Buddyclub Rcas!
A leading shock, again, they supplied me another.
Admittedly, my situation may be different, as I was fitting the parts, so they had no labour costs, or the hassle of me taking the car back for the repairs etc.

Unless you pay top dollar for a well documented forum car, any teg will need something.
From headlights being cloudy, door seals being perished, water leak in boot, brakes, tyres, dust covers perished, bolster worn, something will be wrong.

The most important thing, is the body and shell. If you start of with a rotten one, your in for endless problems. As it will still need all the other stuff eventually.

I've owned 2 Hondas, both imported. Both were rust free. My dc5 had 1 tiny dent which a pdr guy took out. I myself, wouldn't like having someone else's car. From the forum I mean, or even a known car. I want it to be my creation. So an import was the obvious choice for me.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Worn out pads is debatable, however a set of bust coli overs is a bit much to sell a car with. What grade would the Japanese rate a car at with bust shocks?

Stewlark

Advanced Member
If you are ordering a car from the auction through torque's import direct service don't expect no work to be needed it even to be getting a warranty. Torque make hardly any money through the direct import service, they are just a 'inbetweener'. Taking the stress out from importing it yourself and doing the conversions.
If you were buying a car they have in stock, their prices are higher. I would expect no immediate work to be done and some form of warranty with the car.

With my car I imported the tyres were worn unevenly, so it was new tyres for me. I can't remember any used car I have bought not from a garage with a warranty that hasn't needed something when buying it.