Torque GT

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
Worn out pads is debatable, however a set of bust coli overs is a bit much to sell a car with. What grade would the Japanese rate a car at with bust shocks?
Mine was a grade 4B whatever that means.

The front shocks had completely gone within 2 months of owning the car which makes me think they should have been checked before selling it.

I know I have to do checks myself which I hold my hands up for not doing and in hindsight I wish I now had but I was under the impression that I was buying a car that would have needed no work doing.

A bit naive on my part I might add and not something I will ever do again when purchasing another vehicle.

Stewlark

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

The front shocks had completely gone within 2 months of owning the car which makes me think they should have been checked before selling it.

I know I have to do checks myself which I hold my hands up for not doing and in hindsight I wish I now had but I was under the impression that I was buying a car that would have needed no work doing.

A bit naive on my part I might add and not something I will ever do again when purchasing another vehicle.
It appears that the grading system is for overall condition of the car in its appearance. As these are at auction they aren't being test driven and not being graded based on the test drive.
Hence your shocks and my tires. One thing I will say is that I think torque gt do need to be a bit clearer upfront with what they will and won't do for you when the car arrives.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

But look at how it is now :D lol

I was pleased with my experience of them mind, anything that needed doing they sorted straight away tbf. Even after a couple of years ownership, they helped me out by sourcing my original alarm certificate for insurance purposes. They still had bits on record. :)

sheeraz19823

Advanced Member
Some good points. Still non the wiser on what to do though!
So would people rather import than go for one already here? Based on conditions are the same ie no rust etc only difference being service history and amount of owners (3 or 4 as opposed to me being 1st UK owner)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
sheeraz19823 said:
Some good points. Still non the wiser on what to do though!
So would people rather import than go for one already here? Based on conditions are the same ie no rust etc only difference being service history and amount of owners (3 or 4 as opposed to me being 1st UK owner)
If it were me, I'd buy one off a forum member.

Don't bother looking elsewhere privately as lot of them will be dross and if they're not an enthusiast it would have me worried. i.e not a member on here where the chances are it will have been cherished and looked after.

Rom

Advanced Member
We can't tell you what's best for you.
We all have our own opinions on what's the best route.

You will get a car with mods for a lower price buying used over here.
You will pay more for the privilege of having a fresh Import. But it will be rust free.

Mine looked better underneath than a lot if cars I work in. Which are mostly new! And galvanised and under sealed from factory.
All my components are rust free.
Even things like my steering rack, Alex commented how he wished his was so clean.
It's things like that, for me, that make the difference.

sheeraz19823

Advanced Member
Your right i would rathet have a rust free example. Owning a CRX i know a thing or two about rust and what a pain it is!!

Mechanicals are easier to rectify than rust! Torque GT it is.

Thanks guys

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I took mine to TGM after 4 days, Tom found that the engine mount had gone and Torque GT paid for it all. Good times

Sadly they do not road test it this day, otherwise Tom would of noticed the whine from the gearbox and I could of have it all done under warranty :( Needless to say this has been repaired by TGM now, Just paid for by me!

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I would buy off a forum member first if they were active and had a build thread then you could see what has been done to the car. With regard rust I think most cars would have been under sealed, and again if bought off an active member you could easily find out. I think forum member is best but second to that is a clean import.

ste01

Advanced Member
The underseal on 99% of the cars I've seen won't do a lot to give long term rust protection. Most are only done on the obvious exposed parts which and not where it counts. Decent corrosion protection is expensive and time consuming...which is why a lot of cars just get sub £100 slap of waxoyl on import and then forgot about.

My advice is if you're in it long term, then import. If you're one of these that gets one and sells up within 18months, then just get a cheaper one already here.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
If you go through torque GT your paying a premium, so the cars should be checked and ANY problems fixed prior to you picking them up.

Mine is a fresh import through someone I know, I got a minter without alarm & underseal done. I spent £400 undersealing my teg and I chose the alarm I wanted, and I know everything is done to a proper standard.

Fresh import is the way to go. As said before, even the bolts on the steering rack etc still have their gold tint!

Good luck mate

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
But look at how it is now :D lol

I was pleased with my experience of them mind, anything that needed doing they sorted straight away tbf. Even after a couple of years ownership, they helped me out by sourcing my original alarm certificate for insurance purposes. They still had bits on record. :)
Ha ha!

It is a lot better now, still not perfect mind as it needs the clutch doing but I can't blame Torque for that as I've had it a while now and it's probably down to my driving lol.

Torque-GT

Firstly thanks for all the comments made by all on this thread but we feel the need to defend ourselves against the comments made by 'Crazylegs' as they're not only unreasonable but inaccurate. Secondly we wish to shed some light into the high level of service we continually strive for here at Torque GT. We're very proud of the reputation we've built over the past 13 years of importing cars from Japan and take our customers concerns/issues very seriously.

Crazylegs, to say we 'shafted you big time' is beyond unreasonable as highlighted by the facts outlined below. This is backed up by contradictory comments you yourself made on this forum since you collected your car on July 9th 2013.

The issue surrounding a leaky TEIN shock absorber was brought up at the beginning of December some 5 months after you collected the DC5 from ourselves. All our cars include 12 months MOT (suspension faults are a failure) plus a warranty period of 3 months which you were made aware of. This is backed up on a thread you started on 5th December 2013 ...http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34959-tein-problems/

Unfortunately TEIN suspension is less suited to UK roads than the OEM set up and as such there is always a high possibility that it wont wear quite so well especially as its already a used part.
Therefore, how can we be held accountable some 5 months later as you insinuate here?... "They must have clearly known it had these faults and flogged it knowing full well the costs to get the relevant parts replaced and that is out of order" This should be retracted as is patently untrue

Your comment... "car needed a timing chain which got diagnosed not long after buying it"
This is the first time we've heard anything about it. It also appears to have you less concerned than you would have everyone else believe considering you only planned to have it replaced nearly 10 months later. You're quoted saying here... "My next plans are to get the timing chain done followed by a refurbishment of my alloys possibly in a black colour of some kind"...is highlighted in a thread you started in April 10th 2014... http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36494-crazylegs-dc5/

As already mentioned above we take all our customers issues very seriously and do our best to provide an unrivaled level of service by correcting any faults developed within a reasonable time period after collection. There does however need to be a cut off point as we can't be held accountable for every single fault or wearing item on a sports car that is up to 13 years old.

We've supplied many DC5‘s to customers on and off the forum and we take pride in the cars we supply. We are decent people and will always try our best to be as reasonable and fair as possible with any issues that arise. We deal with used vehicles, it's only to be expected that issues arise from time to time, the mark of our company is how we deal with them.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I bought my car from Torque GT over 6 years ago now. When I bought it the tyres were worn quite considerably on the inside edge due to the car having quite a lot of camber. But I didn't realise this until long after the car was in my possession. So I had to fork out on four new tyres. Not a problem. And apart from that I cannot find anything else that was wrong with the car! I've done over 60K miles in it and it's been the best car I have had. Things happen, especially with older cars. Perhaps people in Japan are getting rid of the 'old stock' as it were now. And all the good ones have already reached our shores?

Either way, it's up to YOU the customer to make sure you are happy with your purchase. As long as Torque GT and other import companies offer a warranty and stick to it then there is nothing more they can do.

I know I will be buying from them again 👍

Adam

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I do not think it matters where you buy the car from, Torque GT or not, being an old car these days they are not without problems.

As I said, Mine had a engine mount gone which TGM replaced and Torque GT paid for as I had only had it 5 days. Cannot fault this service and the help in buying the car and other help post having the car.