TPS Adjustment KPRO

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Hello chaps need bit of reassurance on how i do this as I have recently put a new TPS on my throttle body.

As i have read on the net:

I plug the KPRO into my laptop and enable data logging.

I then go to the TPS section on K Manager.

With the car turned off I click read with no throttle and this should read 0%?

I then read WOT and it should be 100%?

If they dont read correct, I take it I loosen the screws on the TPS and move it about on the throttle body until i get the correct readings? Or does it calibrate itself once i have hit read?

Thanks,

Alex

Bonito

Advanced Member
Engine off but engine lights on. 0% on foot off and 100% on foot to floor. Preferably you want the TPS centred.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Thanks mate!

So does it self calibrate when I hit read?

Or do I have to keep adjusting the position of the TPS on the throttle body?

Bonito

Advanced Member
Haven't used my KManager in a bit from memory, have the TPS dead centre. I found a multimeter is easier than the KManager. Connect it up and 0% (Throttle closed) is when the multimeter reads 0.5v. Tighten the screws, get in the car, hit read on the KManager and minimum should be reading 0%. Then foot to floor and it should be reading 100%. If you get an error code then just set them to defaults and re-adjust again.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Kpro will just calibrate to whatever no and full throttle is, this could be 0.8% and 102.4% as an example

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it. Will be attempting this over the next few days and ill let you know how i get on.

Just to confirm though does datalogging have to be enabled? And once i have clicked read ect to get the readings of the TPS does it save automatically or do i need to do anything?

Sorry for the questions its just obviously an important part on the car and i dont want to screw it up. Will doing any of this affect the map that TDI done on the car at all?

Cheers

Alex

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
You can only do it if you have a copy of the map. It needs to be set, and then re-uploaded to the ecu.

Bonito

Advanced Member
Not entirely true. If the map isn't locked, he can upload it.

If it is locked, he can pull the map, wipe the ECU and then re-upload.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Ok now im worried about doing this.

Last thing I want to do is mess the map.

Bonito - How do I know if its locked or not? How do I pull the map from the ECU then reupload it? Do i have to save it on my laptop.

Cheers

dave c

400hp K20
you should be able to download your map and re-upload at anytime, In theory you could download it, make a copy, make changes tothe copy then reupload and if there are any problems revert back to the original map you downloaded and just re-upload it

Dave

Bonito

Advanced Member
Alex_Wilson said:
Ok now im worried about doing this.

Last thing I want to do is mess the map.

Bonito - How do I know if its locked or not? How do I pull the map from the ECU then reupload it? Do i have to save it on my laptop.

Cheers
I'll find out for you. I didn't do it on mine last time, a tuner did. You'll know if the map is locked as it won't allow you to change any tables. (Fuel, timing, etc.)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Pretty sure you can't even download a locked map, it is all greyed out in the options, unless I am wrong?

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Thanks for all your posts guys really do appreciate it!

Spoken to TDI who done the map and they said it should be unlocked however they don't open well on current software.

I'm seriously considering just driving 4 hours away to let TDi do it.

Before I do that though if I adjust it by using a volt meter surely it will save me all this trouble?

Bonito

Advanced Member
Calibrating in your TPS won't mess with your map. If you're worried then download the map, update the ECU driver with your own laptop and then re-upload your map.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Bonito - if I calibrate the TPS using a multimeter I won't have to touch the ecu or kmanager will I?

If I do it using a multimeter I read it from the middle wire. Closed throttle should be 0.5V and WOT should read 4.5V?

Alex

Bonito

Advanced Member
Possibly. If what the multimeter shows you as zero, what the ECU says is say -3% or +3%, you've to tell it that where you have it, is 0 and not -3 or + 3 or any other number. If you get me?

Lay mans terms, if it puts it's zero in the wrong place, you have to teach it where zero goes.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Only trouble just using a multimeter is that if the original TPS wasn't set perfectly at 0.5v and 4.5v, the Kmanager map will be calibrated to those original voltages.

According to some people on the Hondata forum, if the TPS calibrated values in the map are reading out it can cause problems like juddering and other annoyances.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
I think that's the problem I'm going to have Luke.

There's so much adjustment you can have on the TPS I don't think I will ever be able to keep adjusting it and get it spot on without going through k manager.

Bonito

Advanced Member
It shouldn't be out by too much. When I cleaned my IACV I had my TPS off the body completely and I just put it back on. I highly doubt I got it back into it's original position 100% accurately but the car suffered no juddering or hunting etc and ran as smooth as ever. If you're really that concerned about it then get it as close as possible and take a spin down to TDI.