Want to buy a DC5

ash005

hi

i currently have a '51 plate ctr and am thinking of chopping it in for a dc5

but have a few questions

1. need to px the ctr where can i do this & have finance looking at spending about 18K

2. its a company car so what are the tax costs, emmisions etc.

3. insurance - what group is it

4. warranty - is it the same as my ctr 90,000miles/3years

5. reliability - i do a lot of miles (ctr is 2 years and has 45k on it) - is the dc5 as/more or less reliable than ctr

any help would be appreciated

ash..

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi Ash

To help a bit (not heard of a DC5 as a company car though)

1) You will need to ask an importer, or sell the CTR privately, most importers do finance, however currently a personnel loans are cheep.

2) No idea

3) Group 20, its an import.

4) No warranty from Honda, however you can buy a Honda Care one, circa £700 for two years with AA cover.

5) Again, not sure, its a Honda so will be reliable.

Mike

flick

Hi can i ask in what way is it a compny car ? I only ask cos it could get quite complicated.

1) ditto shop around but would imagine its a case of sell civic privately and loan

2) slightly complicated bit, in normal terms a company car tax = list price * % based on CO2 emmisions. Problem is that as it is not an EU car.. anywhere there are no figures on it so the Inland Rev would prob work on invoice price you pay x engine size (given the relative power from smal engine you may actually benefit from this over emmisions) plus then depending on mileage there is a tax penalty for fuel usage. More details are available http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir172.htm its not impossible but a lot harder than you civic.

3) insurance will be a killer, 20 + import+ high milage + business use ...its gonna hurt

4 & 5) pass

Gotta say prob not gonna be the cheapest way to own one

Oh yeah and Leeds man myself .. shame about last night

ash005

cheers fellas

i run the ctr as a company car - i am a director so i am sure something can be sorted!

whats a typical insurance quote like i pay £680ish for the ctr

also what do you do about fuel - the spec says 100ron - is super unleaded ok or do you need to add something?

ash..

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Agree with Richy, SUL / Opt are fine :wink:

However, you could get the Hondata ECU re-flash and have the performance advantages as well s being able to run normal UL, which I am now doing with no probs, in fact performance is a little better :lol:

On the ins side, depends on a number of facts as normal, but expect £1K plus.

Mike

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
AND....

Check your oil religeously EVERY weekend :!:

The i-Vtec does make its way through a fair bit. I have used 4L to 5L of 5W40 fully synth over the last 8 months c.4K miles :shock:

ash005

SJ_Skyline said:
AND....

Check your oil religeously EVERY weekend :!:

The i-Vtec does make its way through a fair bit. I have used 4L to 5L of 5W40 fully synth over the last 8 months c.4K miles :shock:
cheers - i already have a ctr - i know they use a hell of a lot of oil

ash..

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Flick,

5W40 is a very thin oil so it is broken down quickly by the engine. The VTEC runs at such high internal pressures that it simply eats the oil keeping all its parts lubricated.

Why not use an oil with a higher viscosity like 15W40? higher viscosity = longer to warm up and therefore not all parts of the engine are being lubricated from when you turn the key.

All IMHO of course - guys please feel free to correct me!

Erm

Advanced Member
the oil is well expensive :shock: and its gettin used up way too quick for my liking :(

oh and 1-0 to the tottenham :D

:wink:

flick

Yeah yeah ... we're just in a slow stage at the moment :p there's never a russian gangster around when u need one

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Guys, Is mine a freak or something? Had her since mid-October, done 4500 miles, driven it no more or less hard than anyone with a new toy, got 5w40 fully synth, never drunk a drop - I check it weekly cos I've heard all the usual scare stories about v-tec's thirst and consequent 'pop'. Dunno what's going on - Although I'm not complaining!

SJ_Skyline said:
Flick,

5W40 is a very thin oil so it is broken down quickly by the engine. The VTEC runs at such high internal pressures that it simply eats the oil keeping all its parts lubricated.

Why not use an oil with a higher viscosity like 15W40? higher viscosity = longer to warm up and therefore not all parts of the engine are being lubricated from when you turn the key.

All IMHO of course - guys please feel free to correct me!
Bit of a generalisation tbh. Not all VTEC engines use lots of oil.

Mine, for example, used a lot of oil when I bought it, then when I started using 0W 40 Castrol it has hardly used any since (about a year on this is still the case). Some of the K20 engines may be using a lot of oil because they are still fairly new engines which take quite some time to properly run-in (a properly run-in Honda engine will be at about 90,000 miles).

So, I dont think you can neccesarily put excessive oil consumption down to a thinner oil.

flick

does seem strange a modern engine should use so much oil .. does it burn it off or go else where

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
:xaiweb6:

I thought the guy was supposed to be buying Leeds was from Saudi?

P.S. We was robbed last night, Howard should have been sent off and Shearer would have scored! :roll:

flick

well there is the saudi guy and the consortium lead by the ex chairman then the BHS owner .. to be honest though i think they're all crazy, there is just too much debt

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Well we was Jobbed too, there was no way that wasn't a goal.. Yours WAS a Pen... but to justify his mistake by not giving that goal is :evil: ..

Anyway a draw was fair I think.. Newcastle was on top first half and United (manchester, that is) was on top second half.. good game..

UW